Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Release  (Read 76661 times)

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Lateral Release
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 06:31:05 PM »
Hey guys

Thanks for the replies.
Milly and Laura-  I am in the proccess of looking for a new OS so my gp has gvien me injections and more pain meds just to ease the pain till i find one. I need to get this problem sorted out sooner rather than later as my boss at work is saying i'm missing to much time off work and he is considering demoting me. I would hate this to happen as i left school at 16 and worked very hard to get to the level i am at. It might not be the best job in the world but it pays the bills.

Der7118-  Try not to worry about about your surgery. Everybody body is different, so not everybody heals the same. I might be having a slow recovery, but then again i push myself to hard and then i end up falling or doing something stupid and causing myself more damage. If you do what the PT tells you post op, do your exercises the best you can and as often as you can. And as i've been told RICE. Ice as often as you can and elevate. Hope your surgery goes well. Keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Take care

Cynthia
2006 Meniscus repair Right Knee
2007 Cartlidge removed nd debriment Right Knee
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »
Hi All,

Cynthia - there is no such thing as the best job in the world because there will always be someone who has what we al consider to be a better job, no matter how much money we earn or what level we've reached. If you're happy at work, enjoy yourself, get on with your colleagues and can live comfortably on the salary you earn, what does it matter whether you earn 100 per day or 1 million per year?
Don't ever put down what you do. Yo said it yourself - you've worked hard to get to the level you're at now. That's an achievement for  alot of people and many don't stick to the jobs they had after leaving school. You've shown perseverance and true character as you've continued through your knee problems. Well done!

Der - Many people here have had a lateral release as a sort of "first stage" surgery. The alteral release surgery can correct patella problems to a certain extent but is usually (bnot always) more effective for patella tilt. Anyway, here on this board we are the minority. Please bear in mind there are hundreds of thousands of knee surgeries every year globally and mot are successful. We are just a few people who've have problems, and wish to share our problems, obtain advice and compare notes with others who may have similar issues.
There's no way of knowing whether a LR will work for you. I hope it does and that puts an end to your knee problems. If not, then maybe another operation may be required but htere's no reason to believe at this stage that it won't work. An OS wouldn't usually operate if they know it's going to fail. The trick is to find out as much about the surgery you're going to have and to ask your OS as many questions about it as you can. Then you can make an informed decision on what operation you should have.
Good luck.

Laura xx
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 12:45:09 AM »
I wish there was such a thing as the best job in the world. As it is i work for supermarket chain(i will tell you which one in private mail). I started to work at 16 because i left school (I left because i was being bullied for being over weight). I started in my job packing shelves, have worked very hard and now have my own department to run. I love my job but like every job it has it's bad days, my colleagues are great and so easy to get along with.

I did however want to bea paramedic. So i enrolled in evening classes to finish my edcuation so i could go on to do the proper courses to become a paramedic. I would finish work at 5 and go off to school. I did my leaving cert ( not sure if ye call this GCSE or A level's in england) in june of this year and got the grades i needed to go on.

Unfortunatly i'm not sure now if i can get the dream job i wanted because of my knees.
But on the upside i look at those people who bullied me at school and see how they got on. Some of them are bigger (weight wise) than i ever was and most of them don't even have jobs.

Since leaving school i have become a much stronger person and lost nearly all the weight i was carrying. I have 1/2 stone to go and i will be at my goal weight and i will have lost 7.5 stone.

Anyway i think i've gone off the track abit with this post.

Take care

Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »
HI Cynthia,

Well Done! That's fantastic! 7.5 stone is a hell of a lot and you should be really proud of yourself. You go girl!!   ;D

You clearly work hard and there's no reason why you can't have your dream job. If you're prepared to work hard for something, then you'll get it.

Iused to finish work and go straight to colege also. Now I study only part-time during the day fi I can get away form whatever work I have at the time. I am very lucky that I was able to go to university so I have a few degrees. It doesn't mean anything and I'm NOT mrope intelligent than anyone else. but I really wenjoy studying and I found at times, I can be quite good at it (if I work really hard at it).
YOU can go on with your studies and get whatever qualifications you want or need to progress. Don't ever let anyone put you off learning - it's the best feeling in the world when you've worked hard for a long time then you pass exams, or get some reward for your hard work.

Yo keep going - that dream job is just around the corner.

Laura xx

(PS - Over here, we take GCSE's at 16 and A levels at 18).
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 12:59:22 AM »
Hi Laura,

Thanks for your encouragement. Studying was never a strong point of mine but when it's  something you really want to do i believe in working as hard as you can to obtain that goal.
Our exam levels over here are-  Junior cert 16 and leaving cert 18

Goodnight

Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 03:24:59 AM »
Cynthia - good luck on your OS search.  Hope you get a good one that listens and can help you out.  Sounds to me you have accomplished alot and have much to be proud of.  Hope your pain starts getting better for you.

Der - A lateral release may help you or it may not.  Read up on both procedures and ask questions of your OS.  What are the pros and cons of each surgery.  A LR is usually a first step as was mentioned before.  You need to think about wether or not you can do two surgeries if necessary.  If not maybe you need to go right to the distal relignment.  Like Laura said most surgeries go just fine. We are on this board because we are in the small percentage of those that have continued problems after surgery.  Don't rush into any surgery, do some research.  Good luck with what ever decision you make.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline MD-F

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
Hi Cynthia,

Hope you are getting on with the new pain meds, I have just had to double mine as PT has increased the intensity of my exercises (she is evil!!) I know it's all for the best but I'm sure everyone everyone understands what I'm talking about.

I know it's easy for me to say but try not to worry about what your boss has said, from what you have said about yourself you are a fighter and a very determined person, you would never have managed to get your exams and lost all the weight you wanted to if you were the sort of person that quits at the drop of a hat.

I hope the search for a good OS goes to plan.
 I have to go and prepare for my boyfriends parents annual visit, they seem to think that i will be up to going for days out and walking around shops etc - even though I still need help getting in and out of the car/shower!! and need to use my walking stick to help put my pants on!! Can't wait for them to get here so they can leave again, I don't want to sound horrid, but am really not up to visitors at the moment, especially one's that will be checking the picture frames for dust! (I'm not joking, she does this).
Sorry have turned a good wish to you into a massive rant about my in-laws.

Keep your chin up, keep on top of pain, and remember to RICE
TAKE IT EASY! I have a feeling nothing is going to keep you down for long.

Good luck with everything

MD-F (Maria)

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
Hi Maria,

The pain meds are numbing the pain a bit so i'm getting around a little easier(thank god). I'm trying not to let my boss get to me but he can be such sexist pig sometimes. He hates to see women getting on and doing well he's all for the boys, i doubt if it was one of the boys in this suitaton he'd have them off with full pay until they are fit enough to return. He has issues. I initally hurt both my knees at work so you'd think they would have given me a bit longer off with pay until i got myself sorted.

I hope all goes well with the dreaded in-laws visit. I know how you feel, i though it was just my boyfriends mother who went around looking for dust. I'm glad to see now it must be a thing that all in-laws do. If you're cheeky like i am you could do what i did. The last time she visited i handed her a white glove at the front door and told her it was for her dust test, they would keep her fingers clean incase i missed a bit. Needless to say she wasn't impressed but she hasn't done her dust check since.

Hope your knee starts to get better soon.

Take care
Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »
HI,

Cynthia - that's a fantastic way of dealing with the in-laws. I had a different problem with mine: my ex-mother-in-law would come to the house when my ex-husband wasn't there. Then at some poin tlater she'd phone him and tell lies about me - that I'd ignored her or been rude to her, or not offered her a drink etc. Obviosuly this meant he'd be nasty to me and use his mother's lies (even though he knows she tells lies) as an excuse to be unpleasant.
Fortunately, they are both out of my life permanently.

It's good that the pain meds are finally working for you, at least a little bit. And you'll be able to deal with your boss better if you're in less pain. Hang in there - things will get better.

Laura xx
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
Hi Laura,

Your ex-mother in law sounds like a piece of work, lucky you got out of that suitation when you did.
Can't type for long i'm in hospital at the minute. Very tired spaced out on drugs, i'll post later when they wear off a bit.

Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 05:38:24 PM »
Cynthia,

Why? What happened? Ar eyou OK? (OK stupid question - clealry you're nto OK if you're in hospital).

Kep upthe pain meds and type when you're ready.

Laura xx
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline MD-F

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 09:33:47 PM »
Hi Cynthia

Hope you are ok. Am concerned about you.

Post back when you can, just to let us know that you are ok
Keep taking the pain meds

Hang in there chick. X

Maria (MD-F)

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
Hi Laura - Maria,

Just letting ye know i'm ok. A quick brief of what happened me.
I had a bit of a cough and head cold all week but i thought nothing of it and didn't think it warranted a trip to the doctor. My boyfriend and i had a few friends over yesterday evening i had a bit of news and it was a little celebration. A few of our friends are smokers and the weather was horrible here yesterday so i told them not to be standing outside smoking to come inside where it was dry. Anyway when everyone was gone i wasn't feeling very well my asthma was giving me grief because of the head cold, so i took my inhalers and thought i go to bed for a while. An hour or so later i was feeling a bit better so i got up and watched a bit of tv, i checked my e-mails and posted a few messages on this board. I was starting to get a bit tired so went back to bed. At about 1am i got very wheezie and was finding it difficult to breath, my boyfriend went downstairs and got my inhalers which i took and still no change, i was getting worse at this stage. My boyfriend was pleading with me to let him take me to the hospital, but i wouldn't give in i told him to get my nebuilser that i would be fine once i took that. So he went off downstairs again to get it. I don't remember anything after that, but he told me when he came back upstairs i was unconcious and my breathing was very bad. He called an ambulance. On the way to the hospital i went into respiratory arrest(in other words i stopped breathing). They worked on me and got me breathing again but decided it was best to sedate me and put me on a ventilator to help me breath more easier, they were afraid i would go into cardiac arrest as my blood pressure was very high and my heart was beating at something like 200 which apparently isn't normal. They took me off the ventilator till about 1o'clock today and didn't have any major problems coming off it so they were happy to move me from icu to a ward.
They did loads of tests to find out what caused such a bad asthma attack and an x-ray confirmed what they thought i have Pneumonia. I'm on IV antibiotics, steroids, some drugs i've never heard of and they are giving me new pain meds for my knees also. I just want to go home now but they won't let me go.
My poor boyfriend was in bits when i came round properly today, he thought i was going to die. The docs told him if he tried to bring me in the car like he was going to i probably wouldn't be here now. The drugs i was on for my knees aparently agreviated my asthma, so along with them and the pneumonia brought on the attack.
I must say i'm feeling a good bit better than i did last night.
Thanks for your concern. As i do say it's hard to kill a bad thing. At least it wasn't my knees that had me in hospital this time, but unfortunatly my good news didn't last long.

Take care

Cynthia
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 11:52:25 PM by Cynthia1982 »
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline nadialife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008, 11:33:07 PM »
Dear Cyhnthia,

I just read your post, I couldn't believe it. I am so happy to hear that your doing better. Thank god for your boyfriend.

I'll be thinking about you and I hope to stay in touch with you.

Best,
N

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2008, 11:47:42 PM »
Hi Nadialife,

Thanks for the post. I'm very grateful to my boyfriend, he saved my life. He's such a pet he gave me his laptop while i'm stuck in here so i can keep in touch with you guys. Feeling much better tonight,  but i still have that stupid oxygen tube in my nose it starting to get on nerves a bit, but i'm hoping to get that out soon.

Hope you are keeping well.

Take care

Cynthia
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 11:49:42 PM by Cynthia1982 »
2008 LR Left Knee

support