Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Release  (Read 76605 times)

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Lateral Release
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 07:14:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply formerlyActive. I ended up going to the doctor today, the pain was getting to much. He has sent a letter to my new OS to let him know what happened and also arranged for an MRI at the end of the week. Just incase i have done any new damage he has told me to take it easy and rest it until i see my OS next week.
2006 Meniscus repair Right Knee
2007 Cartlidge removed nd debriment Right Knee
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 05:03:40 AM »
That sounds like a very good plan. It will give you hopefully peice of mind. Let us know how it goes. Best wishes.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline MD-F

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »
Hi

Hope you are feeling better, and the appointment with the new OS works out.
I hope you don't mind me picking your brain, I have just had a lateral release and a MPFL replacement (some new funky technique apparently), did you have a lateral release to stop recurrent dislocation?
I have been weight bearing, but no movement - I start PT in a few days, but I have been experiencing the awful feeling of my knee dislocating, it hasn't and my OS assures me it is fine but I am really apprehensive about my knee giving way.
Is this something you experienced?

Sorry for asking all these questions but have been really stressing about this and not wanting to start PT

Any info gratefully received

MD-F

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »
Hi MD-F,
   Feeling a bit better. I had my appointment today and was told that i had osteoarthritis and this is whats causing all my post op problems. I was told that there is no magic cure. So i just have to build my knee back up again to the best i can, my suitation isn't going to get much better.
  As for your questions. I didn't have recurrant dislocation my knee kept locking and it was getting very hard to get it free. Sometimes it could be locked for up to half an hour. You say you had a MPFL replacement. I heard that this was a very successful procedure and that it works in about 99% of people. It called medial patello femerol ligament, so if you had it replaced i wouldn't be surprised that you haven't much movement.
  My knee does feel like its going to give way which i mentioned to my OS today and he says that it will settle with time. The stronger the muscles around the knee get the more stable it will get and feel. It is a horrible feeling but i'm sure it will settle.
  Make sure when you start your PT that you tell he/she that it feels like it's going to dislocate. PT is the most important part of recovery so it's really important that you go. If you were given exercises to do after your surgery make sure you are doing them, they will keep the quads and hamstrings strong and it will make your physio a lot easier. I found if i took pain medication before i went into physio that it helped with the pain that you may feel and always when you get home after your physio that you ice and elevate the knee. It is important to ice the knee as much as possible to keep the swelling down.
Hope this is of some help to you

Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 12:35:45 AM »
Sorry haven't posted in a while.
 I had my mri and it showed i had a grade III MCL tear. I had to wear a knee immobilizer and use crutches for 2 weeks. I now have a hinged knee brace and only use the crutches when i go outside. I was told that it would take a minimum of 6 weeks for this to heal and that i could ditch the crutches and brace when i can walk without a limp. My problem is that i had a limp as a result of my LR and i won't know if it's the MCL tear or the LR that's making me limp. A friend of mine told me that it could take 3-4 months to recover from a MCL tear. Has anybody here had an experience with an MCL tear and if so how long was recovery? Also i was thinking of doing some stationary bike to strenghten my leg, has anybody any other ideas on exercises. My usual PT is on holidays and her replacement isn't prepared to give me any additional exercises until she returns and sees how my progress is. I'm getting very fustrated as i seem to be getting nowhere fast. :o
Any input greatly appreciated
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 04:44:29 AM »
Hi Cynthia
So sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea how the tear happened? As your doctor indicated I have heard they just try to heal them. I'm sure its frustrating as heck.
Best healing wishes.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 03:53:45 PM »
I have no idea how it happened unless it happened when my knee gave way coming down the staris. It seems to be improving a little every day, so i'm sure it won't be long now before i'm back to my football. Your right about it being frustrating i'm getting so bored sitting around doing nothing.
Thanks for the good wishes, i hope all is well with you.

Cynthia
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:57:24 PM by Cynthia1982 »
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline MD-F

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »
Hi

Sorry to hear about your set backs but I am pleased that you seem to be taking them in your stride (excuse the pun) and getting on with things.

I have resigned myself to another few weeks off of work and have started making christmas cards at home to stop me from watching Maury and the Steve Wilkos show, apart from the brief interludes of painful PT and regular icing and exercise life becomes v.dull when it's hard to move around (sorry to moan but having a bad day)

Hope you continue to improve and you are up and around soon, but remember just take your take time, recovery is a slow process and can't be hurried.

MD-F

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply MD-F
  I hear what your saying about taking my time. I think that's half my problem i push myself to far and then end up in pain or doing more damage. But i think i've learned my lesson this time ;D
  All pun excused. I'm usually easy going and take things in my stride i'm starting to get used to getting to a certain stage of recovery and then getting yet another set back but believe me i have my moments when i have a bloody good moan and feel sorry for myself (like now).
  You are right to take another few weeks off work, get as much time as you can to recover. Can't believe your making christmas cards already though. I haven't even thought of doing anything yet. But you'll be prepared and i'll be the one running around (if my knee lets me) on christmas eve trying to get everthing sorted.
  Hope your knee is recovering well and that your not in to much pain.

Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 11:09:35 PM »
Hey guys need a bit of advice.
 Once again i have fallen. I was in a friends house and she is getting work done on the house so it's a bit like a building site. I was carrying 2 cups of coffee into the living room not watching where i was going and tripped over a bit of timber. I landed on both my knees but at least i didn't spill the coffee ;D It hurt like hell for a while after but after elevating and icing it wasn't to bad. But over the last 2 days the pain levels have got pretty bad, and it's not just the knee that was operated on lately that hurts. I have a noticable bruise on the knee that was operated on but no bruising on the other(left knee recently operated on). I get a sharp pain through the left knee when i walk and the whole of my right knee is throbbing all the time. None of the pain meds i have taken have made a difference to the pain. I am afraid that i might have caused more damage to the left knee and not sure what i've done to the right knee but it doesn't feel right ???.
 Has anyone got any tips on pain control or what i should do. I'd give anything for a good nights sleep but the pain is keeping me awake alot at night.
 If anyone has any advice i would be gratefull.

Thanks
Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline MD-F

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »
Hey you,

What have you been up too? Poor thing, it sucks.
As for pain meds' I usually take a bit of a cocktail

1hr before bed I take 1g paracetamol, then 30 min later I take 400mg ibuprofen and 100mg tramadol once in bed not sure why but this seem to work. Although not advised and I am not telling you to do this a glass of baileys with ice help the tramadol kick in!

I can't say you will get a full nights sleep, but you should get a few hours of really deep sleep (with or without the baileys)
If you can't take any of the above meds' get your GP to prescribe some mst / oromorph.

Good luck, keep on with the rest and ice!

MD-F

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 05:43:50 PM »
Hi MD-F,

Thanks for the reply. I'll ask my gp for some new meds. All i've been able to take is paracetamol as i can't take alot of meds with my asthma. I'll keep resting and icing.

Thanks and take care,

Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • OSCAR
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 03:58:50 AM »
hi Cynthia,

You should certainly go back to your GP for pain meds but be very careful weith MST/Oramorph. I take both MST (slow release morphine) and I am no addicted to this. If I miss a dose, evne if I am concentrating hard on something else, I get severe shakes, what seems like a fever, sometimes hallucinations etc. Althugh this is estreme and these symptoms disappear after about 40 minutes of taking the relevant dose of MST, itr's not nice.

Oramoprh is liquid morphine. You can get it either in a bottle 250/500/1000ml or in 5ml vials. The morphine in a bottle has a certain amount of sugar added and although it's not pleasant, it's tolerable. The vials are just nasty, but work effectively for pain. If anything, this may be better for you as you could take just 5ml when necessary and hopefully this should solved the pain problem temporarily.

Also, definitely go back to your OS and get this sorted (the 3rd OS I mean). You deserve a decent quality of life but I feel if you wait fo ryour current OS to sort you out, you'll be waiting a long time.

Take care,

Laura xx
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »
Hi Cynthia,

Definate get with your GP for pain control.  See your OS to have them take a look.  You may have just really aggrivated everything, but best to be sure.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline der7118

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
From what I am reading on this message board I am understanding that even after the Lateral Release surgeries - problems still exist?  Am I correct?

I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday 11-12-2008.  Needless to say I am very worried!!

The problem I am having (chondramalica and patalla tracking disorder) stems from an accident back at the beginning of July - My husband and I were in the process of building a pool in our back yard and I tripped over his Saws All and the blade went into my leg just juder my knee cap about 2 inches.

Since the injury I have seen 3 different OS and had several different treatments including
Anti-Inflamitories for approx. 3 months. PT, and Courtisone Injections.  During my last visit on Monday the OS told me that I needed to have surgery to correct the problem however he told me that we could do the Lateral Release however that may not take care of the problem and we may have to go back later and to a Distal Realignment however it was my decision if we went ahead and did the Distal Realignment or if we just did the Lateral Release and hoped that works.

I am reading horrible things about both surgeries - does any one have any advice that thay may be willing to share about their experiences?

DER

support