Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral Release  (Read 64217 times)

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Release
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:21:57 PM »
Hi
  My OS preformed a lateral release on my left knee due to patella maltracking on the 22nd of july this year. I have been attending PT every week since then. I am still walking around with a limp and have terrible pain. My PT can't understand why my recovery is taking so long. I was with my OS 2 weeks after my surgery and he seemed happy enough and said he didn't need to see me anymore but if i had any problems i knew where to find him. I have rang him and explained the problem but he didn't seem to bothered. He just keeps telling me it will take 6mths to heal fully. I have told my PT what he has said and she seems to disagree, she says i shouldn't have this much pain and lack of movement. I can not fully extend my leg nor can i bend it fully. I have had 2 previous surgeries on my right knee and never had this kind of trouble, my recoveries were very quick. My right knee is starting to get painful now and i'm afraid i'm doing damage to it as i'm putting most of my weight on it while walking.
  I was also walking the other day and i felt something tear in my left knee, it swelled up and the level of pain i have has increased. I was thinking of going for a second opinion. I can't go on like this much longer, i'm getting very down in myself which is not like me. Has anybody got any advise for me. Please help
2006 Meniscus repair Right Knee
2007 Cartlidge removed nd debriment Right Knee
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline TBCGurl

• Regular Poster
Re: Lateral Release
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
I knwo how you are feeling, I had a lateral release too, along with other things all at the same time. But maybe you should get an appointment with another OS. Is there anyone else in their office? Maybe give them a ring...
Hope you get to feeling better soon!!
June 19,2006-Proximal Soft Tissue and Distal Bony Realignment (LK)
August 15,2006-Wound closure from last surgery (LK)
January 15,2007 Meniscus Repair (RK)
January 27, 2009 Open Wedge Distal Femoral Varus Osteotomy (RK)...

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »
So it has not been quite three months yet?  A LR is not the easy recovery most think it is.  A LR can swell an incredible amount even 3-6 months out which can inhibit your flexion and extension.  The tearing you felt could have been adhesions or scar tissue.  Give your OS a call and see if you can get in to discuss the tearing sensation, especially since you said it swelled up too.  If you don't seem to be getting better as time goes on, give it a good six months and see a different OS for another opinion.  Everyone heals differently from surgery.  Has your PT delt with a LR before?  If they haven't seen many, they may not have a realistic idea of healing time.  Getting down happens frequently with surgery, even when everything is perfect.  Are you using a crutch still or a cane?  You may still need one.  Limping around is not good for the good knee and not for your back either.

Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:08:17 AM »
Thanks for the advise guys. I'm not using crutches or a cane i was told i was fine to ditch the crutches 3 weeks after surgery. My PT has seen a good few LR she seems to think i should be futher on than i am. My OS has said to me it will take time but he also said i should not be walking with a limp and that i should be well able to go to the gym and at least play 30-60 mins of football.When i asked him for an appointment to see him again he said there was no need and if i still had a problem after christmas that he would see me in the new year. So i went to my GP and he has refered me to a top OS in Dublin which is about 300miles from where i live, but if he can help me i don't mind. i have an appointment with him on the 20th of this month. I have returned to work doing light duties but not sure if this was a good idea. Thanks again for replies

2008 LR Left Knee

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 01:42:10 PM »
A half hour or better of football (I assume that's soccer?)?  Who is he kidding?  I couldn't do that when I had the surgery at 19 for goodness sake.  You may be a bit behind, but playing sports before three months is a bit outrageous.  Good luck with the new OS.  Ask your PT to check your gait.  You should have something if you are still limping.  I went back to work 10 days after my op.  It wasn't pleasent to say the least, but I do have a desk job.

Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »
I had a LR 6 months ago and i only have 65 degrees ROM (I can straighten my leg fully), and i am still in a significant amount of pain. I walk with a limp sometimes other times is it not so bad and i can get by. Good luck with the new OS  ;D
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 11:36:58 PM »
A half hour or better of football (I assume that's soccer?)?  Who is he kidding?  I couldn't do that when I had the surgery at 19 for goodness sake.  You may be a bit behind, but playing sports before three months is a bit outrageous.  Good luck with the new OS.  Ask your PT to check your gait.  You should have something if you are still limping.  I went back to work 10 days after my op.  It wasn't pleasent to say the least, but I do have a desk job.

Good luck.
I did mean soccer, i'm guessing by your reply my OS is not being very realistic with what he expects me to be able to achieve. I will post when i see my new OS. I have an appointment with him on the 20th.
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Jessyca

• Forum Faithful
    • Adventures of a College Student
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 01:29:59 AM »
I haven't had a LR, but I do have some experience with PTs and OSs not agreeing. I would suggest asking your PT to send a report to your OS so you can be sure they are both understanding and there isn't a bit of information getting lost in your rendition.
February 9, 2006 Fell skiing, knee twisted.
July 12, 2006 Arthroscopic surgery
October 23, 2006 Possible reinjury
January 10, 2007 Arthroscopic surgery
August 13, 2009 Bracing my knee until surgery in January
January 29, 2010 Arthroscopic surgery - LR/debridement

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 02:25:35 AM »
My PT has rang my OS a couple of times already to discuss my thearpy and to see if he would suggest anything to relieve the pain. He keeps telling her the same thing as he tells me.
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 06:39:58 AM »
Hmm. I had LR both knees same time and was in a wheelchair and then on crutches for quite a long time. However, even a few days after surgery they had me doing a range of motion exercise which really helped me. Don't know if you are doing it? You lie on your stomach and ever so gently one leg at a time bend your knee until your heel is moving towards your bottom. Its a kind of stretch for quad and helps with ROM. On the rehab sheet they also showed it with a kind of towel around the heel to help guide (not force it).

If your PT feels your recovery is too slow there should always be an option to see the doctor. If he is not willing then yes would see another doctor but let doctor 1 know you feel the need to see a professional in order to ensure your recovery is progressing.

In meantime would make sure you are doing all else 100%, i.e. take anti inflammatory, icing, elevating, massage, PT as prescribed, managing weight, wearing supportive shoes, orthotics as needed to support your knee structure.
Really wish the best for you. Warm healing wishes. Let us know how you go.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 02:01:22 PM »
I think quite often docs do have an unrealistic expectation after a surgery.  Many of them have not had any orthopaedic surgeries themselves, so they don't have personal experience.  I have seen some patients running and such a few months after a lateral release.  From what I have seen, I don't think that is most patients.  Keep working on the PT, ice and elevate after and take the anti-inflamitories and stronger pain meds if needed.  Good luck with the second opinion.  Hope you start feeling better soon.  It's miserable enough, then to have your medical "team" tell you that you should be better already is so discouraging.  I always felt that as long as I was progressing and not going backward that I was doing ok.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply, you've put my mind at rest a bit. As for pain relief, unfortunatly i have asthama and am unable to take most of the meds that are prescribed for inflamation, they bring on asthama attacks. That is another reason i'm so eager to get my fitness back, i feel with the lack of exercise i'm getting at the moment it's making my lungs a bit lazy and i'm depending on my inhalers a lot more. But enough of feeling sorry for myself. I'm looking foward to seeing my new OS and getting things going in the right direction. Thanks again for your wotds of encouragment.
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 11:48:01 PM »
God poor you a LR on both knees.  My PT has tried that stretch that you mentioned and had no luck with it. I can bend it to a certain extent if i'm lying on my back, but if i'm lying on my stomach it just won't budge. She has tried to give it a gentle stretch while i ly on my stomach but to no avail. It feels like there is something blocking it. She thoght it was a hamstring problem at first and we worked on that but still no change. It feels the same when i'm walking, i get to a certain bend when walking and that's as far as it will go hence the limp. I have noticed a considerable loss to quad mucle compared to my other leg, even though i'm doing as much as i can to build up my quads. A friend of mine said her brother had a thing called a kneehab brace after an ACL op, it's like an ab trimmer but for your knee. I was wondering if you've heard of this ? If so is it worth trying it out?
Thanks for your kind thoughts. I will keep you all informed with my progress
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
Hi guys,
  Had a bit of a set back today. I was coming down the stairs and my knee gave way, it felt horrible like something went pop inside it. It's pretty badly swollen and very painful. I can put my weight on it and walk but the pain when i do this is very severe. I don't know wheter to wait till my appointment with my new OS on the 20th or go to A&E. What do you guys think? I'm icing it every 3-4hrs and have it elevated most of the time.  ??? :'(
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 02:39:03 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear that. I do recall after the LR they said to be very careful about falling and such. Perhaps call the doctor and ask to talk to the nurse line? I wonder if it would make sense for them to MRI it the next time you are in for your appointment to ensure there is no new tear?
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together