Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dodgy Patella - About Time!!  (Read 1038 times)

Offline meddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dodgy Patella - About Time!!
« on: October 08, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »
Hi There!

I'm new to the forum, but have been visiiting the site for some time now. I am in the Royal Navy and I dislocated my left patella in 2001 whilst dancing (navy style) and then again in 2002, playing football.

After the first dislocation, i was fine after about 6 months and then back running etc, however, no one told me that i shouldnt really be playing football, and thats when it dislocated again.

This time, however, was more serious. I have been unable to run, play sport or twist without the patella subluxing. I was under the impression from an OS, that the second dislocation, had ruptured my ligaments somewhat.

I had Keyhole surgery on the knee and that was to ascertain wether there was any debris that would hinder the knee, but nothing was done to actually rectify the knee. I have put up with this problem now until finally after another sublux, i contacted my Medical Officer who refered me to an OS.

Finally after years of waiting i am to have knee surgery. The OS says that my patella is very close to the outside of my trochlear groove and that i should have ligment surgery to realign the patella. I know that my groove is very shallow and i have knobbly knees. I think i may be having medal reefing, but am not sure.

I go to my pre-op appointment next wednesday and have my surgery next Saturday. I will then enquire further as to which procedure i am having. Being in the Navy, i do not have the luxury of shopping around for surgeons.

Im not sure if i am having open knee surgery or not.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or had this type of surgery to rectify a dislocated knee? My main worry is that i wont be able to run or play any kind of sport in the future.

I look forward to hearing your response

A very worried Patient

Meddy.

Offline meddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Dodgy Patella - About Time!!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:03:45 AM »
To add to my last post..

I am having key hole surgery, so hopefully shouldnt be OOA for too long! The OS is doing the medial  at reefing at the same time.

meddy.

Offline meddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Dodgy Patella - About Time!!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »
I eventually had surgery on my knee last Monday, consisting of a Lateral Release, Medial Reefing and then the surgeon performed the Fulkerson procedure, tilting the tibia and relocating the ligament to the inside of my knee.

Ive been told no weight bearing for 6 weeks, and i am allowed to adjust the brace that i have been given from totally straight to a 30 degree angle of flexiblilty.

Has anyone had this type of procedure before and if so how long do you think the recovery time will be and will it ever be the same again?

Meddy

support