Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: how much movement?  (Read 682 times)

Offline benjinh0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
how much movement?
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »
Hello people! I'm 11 days post op (aclr, lat and med menisc removal) The pain has now died down alot and my knee feels good, I have not had a physio appointment come through yet but have been doing some stretching and movement exercises as advised by hospital. I can bend my leg abit but feel the swelling is holding it back more than anything, time will solve this. am I ok to put more weight through the leg? I have a brace on and cant put weight on it without. I just dont want to do the graft any damage. if I go out I will of course use my crutches, just wondering for moving around the house. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: how much movement?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 03:31:54 AM »
Hi,

What advice have you been given about weight bearing?

If you are to remain NWB then you shouldn't be putting ANY weight through your knee/leg at this time, although stretching and moving gently, as well as elevating will certainly reduce the swelling for you. Make sure you also practice RICE and this should certainly help unless there are other problems.

If you are to be PWB then you should gradually increase the amount of weight/force you put through your knee. This can easily be done at home when you have things/objects/furniture to hold onto if you find that using crutches at home becomes a little cumbersome.

If you can be FWB then you should try to increase daily the amount of weight you put through your knee until you can at least stand (on both legs!) with most of your weight, if not all of it, on the operated leg. This,. again, may be iincreased gradually over time, particularly at home.

Make sure though that you always use your crutches for the time being when you go out. Being only 11 days out of surgery is a very vulnerable time for a knee joint and it would be extremely easy to fall or damage th eknee again and reverse all the good work that your OS has done.

Also, please use your brace as much as possible. What sort of brace is it? If it is a full splint/immobiliser then you won't be able to bend your knee and you'll have been restricted in this wa for god reason.If you are able to bend your knee then just try as little each day, with your brace on for as much support as possible, then you can't go wrong.

One good thing about knees though - we use them all of the time and so if we overdo things, we really know about it. You can be sure that putting a little toomuch weight through your knee should not do any damage because the pain will kick in long before you really hurt yourself. Solong as you take it easy, do exactly as your OS tells you and work hard at PT/rehab, you shouldn't have any problems. You may not see much progress just yet, but in a few weeks you'll start to see big changes in your knee as it heals.

Good luck with your rehab etc and please let us know how you get on.

Take care,

Laura xx
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »
Concentrate on getting full extension as that can be done passively - sit with your leg extended and with NOTHING under the knee. I support my heel on a cushion. With the leg elevated you can do your ankle pumps to help reduce swelling you can ice the the knee as well. The effect of gravity alone will help you gain full extension quickly. Without full extension you will not be able to walk without limping.

If you had a meniscus repair you will probably be limited on weight-bearing in order to give the repair time to stabilise.

Anything else I would wait until you go to your PT.  There is an excellent article on the Information Hub about rehabbing post ACL reconstruction BUT you should stick exactly to what you have been told to do by your surgeon as each and every operation is different and involves a different time scale for the beginning of the different aspects of rehabilitation.

Take a look at the topics at the top of the Cruciate Board and then read some of the articles - you will see that there is no such thing as a standard rehab protocol.

Sue
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline benjinh0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »
thank you for you're replies. My brace wraps around my leg allowing no bending at all. The physio at the hospital told me I had to put some weight through my op leg when using crutches. the swelling is going down more each day and with that the movement is getting more range. I will just take things slow until I see my pt.