Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medication reaction - just wondering  (Read 2381 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Medication reaction - just wondering
« on: October 05, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »
I've been around these boards a long time, too long, but that's another story, as they say.  I have been putting off taking a medication (gabapention or really neurotin) for nerve pain from past surgery.  Last night was it - I HAD to do something.

So last night I took the medication, gabapention for the first time.  I will say it definitely caused me to be sleepy.  When I woke up to use the restroom it was very odd.  I could barley walk - like I drunken solider - wobbly.  Knee and leg didn't hurt - just didn't have my legs under me. It was just odd. This morning I'm moving very slowly, very slowly, for me.  Had very vivid colorful dreams also.  My leg has totally different feeling.  Frankly in certain spots it hurts much worse - the zingers and tingly stuff.  I feel my leg which is odd.  Not even sure how to report it - some areas hurt worse other really are ok and other like walking with the quad is incrementally tight.  Who knows.  I do this for 10 days at night then try to take another pill in the morning.  Anyone else really feel funny after taking this? eagle

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Medication reaction - just wondering
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
Just wanted to toss something else out there.  When I walk around (just the house) I am really having a pain in )how to put this nicely?) my butt cheek.  Sorry.  I've never had this before.  So I'm wondering if that might mean besides the scar tissue that possibly has a nerve trapped if could mean there is a tendon trapped also?  Ideas?  Thoughts?  eagle

Offline helsbels

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »
hi im sorry to hear you are having a such a horrible reaction to your gabapentin

i started taking gabapentin in august. i started on 100mg and i am now on 400mg three times a day. the doc wants me on 600mg in next month.

i do not have any such experiences as you have had. in fact i am finding no difference at all from taking them.

from the sound of it you r having a reaction to the med. i would contact either you doc who perscribed it or your gp and see what they say as im sure wot your feeling aint normal.

hope you start to feel better
keep me informed on how you get on

also what dose are you taking  and how many a day?

regards
hels xxxxxxx
fell on knee aug 04
op jul 05 + physio
4 mri's between 05 + 07
5 steroid inj between 05 + 06
mri arthrogram 19th nov 07 - normal
3rd opinion os appt -aprl 11th 08
op jun 09
os discharged me aug 09!
physio 09-present
pain doc sendin me to pain management course-if get into it '2010
STILL CANT WALK!!!

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 02:07:18 PM »
So I've taken the medication 4 nights now.   I do go immediately to sleep and seem to feel more rested simply because the knee / leg aren't waking me up, which is good.  However, when I get up during the night my legs still have a mind of their own!  I'm not dizzy or lightheaded - just can't quite control when they are going!  Its very odd.  The doc's office said this is all very normal until I get used to the medication.  I will say I do think it has helped because by midmorning I'm hurting and hurt all day.  I increase the medication on Sunday.  We'll see how that goes!!  The doc's office called it "unsure" leg - and that indeed is true for me.  eagle

Offline helsbels

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
hi eagle

just wondering wot dosage r u on?

hels xxx
fell on knee aug 04
op jul 05 + physio
4 mri's between 05 + 07
op jun 09
os discharged me aug 09!
physio 09-present
STILL CANT WALK!!!

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 05:36:30 PM »
Dosage is 300mg 1x daily for 10 days then increase to 2x's daily, etc until up to 900mg daily.

Doc's office said they have one person on - get this - 2700 mg daily!  I know I wouldn't even function on that.

What's your dosage?  eagle

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 05:56:22 PM »
Neurontin is a drug that you have to increase slowly. I took it for a while and then when I increased to 600mg I had weird side effects. Besides being tired they made my eyes weird. I also had bizarre dreams. I quit taking it and my doctor switched me to Keppra which is the same kind of drug. I had no side effects from that. They are both meant to be anti-seizure drugs but they seem to work for nerve pain.

The pain in your butt could be sciatica. I would be surprised if that has anything to do with your knee, at least not directly. If you've been limping around it can mess up your back and cause the sciatica.

Offline helsbels

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 06:00:11 PM »
hi

im currently on 1200mg day increasing every 2 weeks

i started on 100mg twice day in august and am now on 400mg 3 times day which will increase every 2 weeks. my doc wants me on 600mg 3 times day within first 4 months and then see wot happens. he phones me every 2 weeks to see how getting on and if no change to increase. i found that every time he increased the dosage i would become quite ill but after couple of days i am fine. the doc did say some ppl can have a slight reaction to it until the body is used to it but usually only last day or 2 but he told me if it every carried on for longer to phone him asap as prob having side effects from it.

apart from the illness from when i increase i feel no benefit from them. they just dont do any thing for me but hopefully as dosage increases i may start to get some benefit out of them. at the moment i just feel like im taking more med for nothing

r u on any other med apart from gabapentin?

im currently on tramadol 200mg every 4 hours and nortriptyline 20mg at night

hels xxx
fell on knee aug 04
op jul 05 + physio
4 mri's between 05 + 07
op jun 09
os discharged me aug 09!
physio 09-present
STILL CANT WALK!!!

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 03:23:10 PM »
Well I've increased the medication to 2x's daily.  The first day or two I made certain I was staying at home!  I did get sleepy but manged to not take a nap!  I'm on no other medications.  I do think this is helping some.  I can tell pain wise when its wearing off.  At night when I get up to go to the restroom I'm pretty wobbly but that's ok, I take it slowly.  I can't believe I'm going to say it but I want to increase the dosage to see if this really helps.  I'm holding my breathe it does help. 

Offline rkneepain

• Forum Faithful
  • I pray My cat doesn't trip me on my crutches!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »
HI eaglemom,
                    It's Karen, you left a nice message for me before.  I am on the Neurontin for nerve pain.  When I first took it It put me on planet mars.  I was high as a kite.  I was horrified!  I was to work my way up by the end of the week to 3 a day 300mg total.  I did not know how I was going to do it.  I was practically falling off my crutches.  I had weird dreams too.  I finally got used to it, but stopped my pain meds from the sx.  The doc said I can take all but then I'd really be out there i'm afraid!  I was going to try to take all this wknd to get some sleep after my dreaded doc appt. tomorrow.  I hope you do well, keep us posted!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
Eagle, you will get used with time. I have been on many different kind of meds for nervpain and they are all pretty much the same. When you increase up the dosage you feel wacko, but that get better by time.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 02:22:47 PM »
Well, here goes, day 1 of taking it 3 x's daily!  The midday dosage hasn't been too bad - just make sure I'm not going to have to leave the house.  I will admit taking this medication has me having the most vivid in color and sound dreams I've ever had.  I can live with that side effect.  I do think it helps some, I'm hoping the increase will help more.  With this medication you can go to either 2700mg or 3600mg daily - I don't want to do that though.  That would take months also - but we all do what we have to do to feel better.  I guess today will be the wacko feel funny day -

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:09 PM »
Thought you all might enjoy a laugh at my expense.  After my shower yesterday (and of course after having a pill) I naturally dressed.  Then I spent 20+ minutes trying to find my glasses - until I realized I had them on!!  I moved very very slowly and didn't think too clearly all day.  Hope that gets better!  Lets see how day 2 goes.  eagle

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 02:11:12 PM »
So here is the latest after being on medication 4 days - I have no idea!  I do believe it helps some, not all.  But...............  I really move slowly and I've noticed my thought processes not being real sharp.  I can feel when the medication is wearing off, which is why I believe its doing some good.  I do think this is only putting a bandaid on a dam of water - I'm just suffering here and need another surgery.  Not what I want but if I'd then move on with life it will be fine.  eagle

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 09:50:39 PM »
So I've been taking 3 pills daily for several weeks here.  If this was to stop the pain that hasn't happened.  I do feel that it has helped some, but certainly not like what I'd expected, or what the os & neurogolist thought.  I can increase the dosage again -I just have to talk with the os about it, so thats an option.  But my question is - and I've asked the doc's but never received any answer - is after your on a nerve medication for so long does the nerve heal itself or something?  Or am I looking at taking this medication, or another one that might work better - for long term? 

I always ask lots of questions but both avoided answering that question.  I've asked it several times, also.  Any more idea's here?  eagle