Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post/pre op anxiety  (Read 846 times)

Offline benjinh0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
post/pre op anxiety
« on: October 05, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »
Just wondering if it is normal to be feeling anxious? It started before the op, I suppose I was worried about the op and the lack of wages with having to have unpaid time off work. Immediately after the op I felt alot better but have been feeling it again now I'm stuck at home, think its just the worry of whether things will get back to normal knee wise. Hopefully things will get better as I do. the feelings involved are feeling abit shaky and abit distant/hard to concentrate.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: post/pre op anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:16:51 PM »
I'm not sure when or what you had done, but most of us experience these feelings.  Pain medications can interfere with the ability to concentrate and often can result in anxiety and depression.  Also surgery is a very traumatic thing for your body to go through, you may not "feel like yourself" for weeks afterwards. 
If this feeling continues mention it to you doctor.  If you are feeling especially anxious or depressed, call someone immediately.  Otherwise, just know this is a normal part of recovery.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 08:33:47 PM »
This is all very normal.  I agree if you are especially anxious please call someone immediately.  Also if you are on any pain medication that can have an effect on your moods and outlook.  Some make lite of someone "just having knee surgery" but your body has had trauma and it doesn't like it. 

Offline benjinh0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »
thankyou for the replies, I had ACL recon and lateral and medial meniscus removed from right knee on 25th sept 08. think I just needed a bit of reassurance, I did talk to doc before op and she said see if things get better after op. Obviously I cant play football for the time being and that was a big realease for me, I think I am suffering from stress and tension but am remaining positive that I will dribble again! (with a ball not from mouth!)