Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Intro + What have I done now?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Whimsy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Orthopaedic mess!
Intro + What have I done now?
« on: August 11, 2003, 11:29:28 AM »
Hi all,
I'm new to this new board, but used to post on the old board a couple of years ago. This new board is great!  ;D

I am a veteran knee person with all the problems listed below in my profile, in addition to being flat-footed my entire life, knock-knee'd, having really flexible joints, and visually (during surgery) diagnosed chrondomalacia.  One doc told me I had "miserable malalignment syndrome."

Even though I never totally recovered from my subluxation and subsequent thermocapsular shrinkage, and still had problems with stairs (read still weak), I had to go and seriously break my opposite foot!

Even though I was non-weight-bearing for 3 months,  and placed all my weight on my bad knee after 2 foot surgeries,  somehow it survived. It took quite a beating during recovery and learning to walk again, but it hung in there, with only an occasional twinge.

Fast forward about 6 months to now, and I slipped and fell down stairs the other night.  :-[

My knee is stiff, and only slightly swollen, but really hurts when I walk. It's right at the joint and goes all the way across - sharp pain. I'm so afraid that I have ripped the thermal shrinkage and when it's not swollen any more that I'll start to sublux when I walk again. Or that I've done something else to it?

I know the thing to do would be to go to the doc, but unfortunately that's not an option right now. I just finished college and have not been hired yet, and would have to pay out of pocket.

I'm going to try and dig up my old ace bandage to wrap my knee and see if that helps, and other than icing I have no options just yet.  :-/

I guess I'm just scared I've really done something to my knee, and wanted to vent. I take neurontin for post-surgical nerve pain from the foot, and have to address that ASAP when I get insurance since the med is causing weight gain which only complicates matters!

Any sympathy or suggestions are welcomed  :'(  and also any input from anyone who has had the thermal shrinkage done and injured themself afterwards.

I've heard the shrinkage is only good for about 5 years and I'm coming up on 4 in a few months....

Anyway, thanks for letting me whine, and wow, this new board is great!

Linda

Lt knee Cartilage repair & plica removal -97
Lt knee LR - 99
Lt knee Sublux post LR
Lt knee thermal shrinkage/med capsule - 00
Rt foot Lisfranc fx 2002
ORIF fx repair & screw removal 7/02 & 9/02

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Intro + What have I done now?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 04:08:35 PM »
Hi Linda,

Welcome to the board--I never knew the old format, so it is fun to hear how wonderful Kneeguru made things for us...

As for your knee situation, you and I both know that yopu really need to have it checked out...and I would hope that things could be arranged for that to happen.  It is awful enough to have knee problems, but I have done the broken foot thing and the falling on the stairs thing--and they can make things so much worse.

In the meantime, don't forget RICE and ibuprofen.  Thse can help some of the discomfort.  I'm so sorry to hear of all of this pain for you and can understand how it could disrupt your life.

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 07:06:35 PM »
Hi Linda,
I'm sorry to hear of your recent knee problem. Syvia, said it all with her advice. I can't add to what she said. I just wanted to welcome you and say I hope you can figure out a way to see a doctor.

Maybe since you are unemployed some state agency can help you to see a doctor. I hope things work out for you. Take care, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Womble4eva

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Not as bouncy as I used to be!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 01:33:36 AM »
Hi!
Just a few words to say I hope it is nothing serious but please get it checked out just to be sure!
Nice 2 meet u though!
Hugs for u and I hope the pain starts to ease a bit!!!
Knees can be a right pain sometimes!!

support