Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post op, Bucket handle op, Increasing pain and swelling  (Read 853 times)

Offline JDaddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post op, Bucket handle op, Increasing pain and swelling
« on: October 04, 2008, 09:11:49 AM »
Hey everybody, I just had my surgery last week. It was supposed to be for bucket handle repair but it was too chewed up to save so they had to fold it back down and trim it up.

I was fine the first day but the second night I developed a blood clot in my calf. I did everything I supposed to between ankle pumps and icing and elevating but still got the clot. Now I am starting the blood thinners and such but that is not really my problem at this point, I think.

This is the 8th day after surgery and it's the worst yet as far as pain and swelling go. It has been swollen the whole time but I woke up today in excruciating pain and my knee literally looks "pregnant" and like it is about to pop. Is this normal? I just got switched off percocet to vicoden, could that have an effect? Are the blood thinners possibly hindering the surgery area? I did start walking on it again yesterday but very lightly. Would that have that big of an impact?

I will see my surgeon again on Wednesday so I am not too worried but this seemed like a good forum as far as first hand experience goes so I thought I would give it a shot. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you...

JD

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Post op, Bucket handle op, Increasing pain and swelling
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:52:54 PM »
Hi JD,

Welcome to the site.

Pain and swelling is normal post op for a long while after.  But with you having had a clot and by what you describe I would be inclined to have it checked out and not wait until Wednesday better safe than sorry.  I know if it was me with your complaint I would definately have it looked at for my own peice of mind.

Good luck

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Post op, Bucket handle op, Increasing pain and swelling
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 11:09:50 PM »
Hi JD,

Was just wondering what the outcome was with your calf pain.  Hope you are okay.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018