Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: No longer lurking...  (Read 650 times)

Offline andy44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
No longer lurking...
« on: October 05, 2008, 03:18:12 AM »
Hello, I've been lurking about this site since deciding to have aclr.  I am now 6 weeks post-op and decided to do my own core dump, as I have found the stories of fellow patients to be very helpful beyond the professional information I've gotten from my OS and physiotherapist.  I tore my acl 7 years ago and wore donjoy braces as I had no stability to speak of.  The braces allowed me to function as a builder but did inhibit my ability to engage in athletis, no running, jumping or fancy moves.  I finally decided I was tired of talking about fixing my knee and set up the financial groundwork required to execute the recon.  I live in the US so I had to throw myself on the mercy of our less than hippocratic system.  First, I selected the best surgeon I could find.  My OS is a team physician for the US Track and Field team as well as for the Oakland Raiders, seemed a pretty good CV. Surprisingly, my health insurance agreed to cover most of the work.
Surgery was a snap, in and out in 4 hours.  I received an allograft, as I am an older fellow (44) with no intention of entering into highly competitive sport post-op.  I used a Game-Ready cryo machine which I believed aided my rehab, as I had little swelling and almost no pain to speak of. I am 5 weeks into PT with 126 degrees of flexion and full extension.  I could walk with locked brace and no crutches the day of surgery .
I've whiled away a few hours on this site reading others' stories and it has helped me to feel less isolated, since for my friends and roommates with perfect knees, I feel the fears, tedium, minor triumphs and other such  minutiae of rehab is rather less compelling to them.
Andy44

Offline clarky_vl

• Forum Faithful
Re: No longer lurking...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »
hi!
its good that you finally joined and are no longer a lurker  ;D  it was really interesting reading your story, i cant believe you lasted 7 years with such an unstable knee!!  :o So what made you finally decide to get it done, and are you happy with everything so far?
it sounds like you are doing great, and like your surgery and recovery so far has gone really well!  :)
Vicky
11/10/07 ACLr-hamstring, lat meniscectomy, microfracture
29/7/08 ACL revision-hamstring/LARS
7/7/09 ACL revision-quad/LARS
20/2/10 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
6/7/10 ACL revision-BPTB allograft
14/3/11 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
Then: ACL revision + extra-articular repair

Offline andy44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: No longer lurking...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:14:54 AM »
Hello Vicky.
I lasted all those years by wearing a brace and moving deliberately.  No jumping about, running etc.  The reason I decided to do it was that I rather like jumping about, running etc. and was noticing a gradual overall bodily expansion due to my decreased mobility. Since I could generally live my life with the instability, I found that I had kept putting off surgery just working and doing some very large and involved special projects each year.This year I realized that if I didn't make my knee the large and involved special project, I would end up a portly slow moving old codger. I thought about who I had been before the acl tearand who I was becoming and decided to apply myself for a different outcome. Plus I got really tired of wearing the brace, despite the neato tan lines...
Andy