Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Trochlear Groove Microfracture  (Read 103717 times)

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Trochlear Groove Microfracture
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:22 AM »

GOOD THOUGHTS FOR TOMORROW, SUE!!!!!

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
Thanks Marjan, I'm heading out like a herd of turtles. 

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch
7/31/09 trochlear groove resurfacing

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 09:59:14 PM »
Looking forward to hearing from you, Sue!  Hope you are home now and doing well!

Tomorrow  I will be 9 weeks PO.  I can tell you that life is slowly returning to normal. I'm sleeping better, I'm walking better, I'm taking no drugs except my vitamins/herbs, and I can tell that the knee muscles are getting a bit stronger everyday.  It's a snail's pace recovery, but it does happen!!

PT has been kicking my butt with new exercises, and he's also delighted that the soft tissue "pains" I was having have pretty much disappeared....DANG, I'm going to miss those massages!!!  Seriously, when he first worked on some areas, I was close to coming off the table a few times, but now it just feels good! Swelling has stayed at a minimum, if anything, I get a little swelling when I sleep in really curled/fetal positions, don't know what that is, but I've been sleeping like a log, so I'm probably staying in the same position too long. During the day, all's well.

Went swimming today and friday I go back to my strength trainer to work the rest of this fat/lazy butt!  Looking forward to it.

I hope you are comfortable, I certainly can sympathize with you....stay on top of the pain, don't be a hero! For the first couple of days, allow yourself to be as free of pain as possible, so your tissues can initiate the process of healing instead of bugging your nerves to tell your brain that they are hurting.

Be well,

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 10:43:46 PM »
Hu Marjan,

I got home at around 1:30 this afternoon.  I took me a while to shake off the anesthesia.  I saw the doc briefly after the surgery.  He said tha there were no surpirses, but didn't give me any details of how large the area was etc.  I guess I'll get the details at my follow-up appt on the eighteenth.  I was a little suprised at home much pain I was in when I came to.  Before I left the dropped two doses of some drug ino the IV before I came home.  Instant relief.  It worked within seconds.  I knew I wasi in pain because I was actually shaking and I wasn't cold.

Wen I got back I spent a couple of hours sleeping off the meds and then dug into some food.

Needless to say I look like something from another planet.  The brace goes fro my ankle to the top of my thigh.  Below that I have a wrap for the continuous ice machine and only God knows what's under that.  I was told I could go back to work next Monday, but I need to bring the Cpm and ice machine with me. I can be weight bearing as tolerated but for th moment I'll stick to the crutches.  I can just picture me trying to lug all of that stuff into the office.

Pain is well controlled. They sent me home with Vicodin and I just took one.  I'm not really in any pain but I'm not going to take any chances.

Post up instructions are the brace 24/7.  I can take it off only in the shower or when I'm in the CPM which he wants me to use at least 10 hours a day.  I'll start that tonight.  I'm supposed to do the bulk of the CPM wihile I'm sleeping.  Not sure how well that will work, but we'll see.

Are there any quad exercises I can be doing while in the brace?  I worked on it presurgery but there's no question I'm going to lose most f not all of the muscle tone.

Sounds like you are progressing fabulously  Keep up the good work.

As for me  I got a call on Monday from a lady who needs fourteen pairs of mittens  for five years olds.  Her daughter teaches a low income readiness program and she wants to give them to the kids for Chrstmas.  She dropped off the yarn yesterday so I've gotten started on that project.  Then my daugther needs me to make a sweater as a Chrismas gift for a friend of hers, so I should be busy til Chritmas eve.

By the way - unlike the two prior surgeries I definitely need the meds.  Just went to the bathroom and the word of the day is OW.

I'll keep you posted.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 12:05:51 AM »
She's back!!!

Good to hear from you, glad you are home safe and sound.

And, you got an ice machine!  I've heard a lot about them, but have never had the pleasure of one, I'll bet they are a godsend. Yup, that brace is pretty impressive, isn't it?  I used the crutches for awhile, but tried to go through the walking motions with my leg (little or no weight on it) just so that I kept that muscle memory and didn't mess with my gait too much.  Don't know if it helped or not, but within a week I didn't need the crutches, although I hauled a cane around for awhile for when I had a lot of walking to do.

Quad exercises.....the only ones I did the very first week (my first post op appointment was one week after) were quad sets and SLRs (only about 6 inches off the ground with very straight locked leg LOL)

Sleeping wasn't easy and I'll admit that I used some of the painmeds for sleeping purposes.  But all that sort of slides away after the first week.  I think the first week is the time that the soft tissues are on high "what have you done to me" alert and everything feels abused, plus its hard to get around those first few days. My second to third day were the worst.  Things like swelling seemed to peak and I really hit the pain meds.  Then things started easing up from there.

Take it easy, enjoy a little pampering if you can get it, and just let the world go by for a couple of days. Eat some good proteins, drink lots of water....it seemed to help me.

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 07:30:40 AM »
Yep, no doub abou it.  The ice machine is a godsend,  Of cource it would have helpedf  if I hadn't knocked it over last night.  Poor hubby spent 1/2t an hour sopping up the mess.  despite being hooked up to varius and sundry devices I was able to get in about 6 hours of sleep and 6 of the 10 presced hours on the CPM.  Got up this am pretty much pain free. Swelling doesn't appear to be bad but who can tell with a number of layers under the brace and the pad/wrap for the ice machine. The onlly time I can say I have pain is when I  lift the leg to get out of bed or off a chair.  Like you  don't really need the crutches but I'll continue with them for a few days with partial weight beaing in a effort to keep some muscle tone and a somewhat normal gait.  I'd lke to be able to return to work with just a cane.

Have a great day.
Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »
Hope you've had a good day, Sue!  Sounds like you're coming along famously!  I'm very jealous of your ice machine..but not of you dumping it! ;D  Way to go on the weight bearing....you'll find yourself tired probably, and I think part of that is your gait is changed and it makes some of your muscles go, "WHAAAAT?" 

I went to PT again today (I know, can't get enough of him).  He was pleased to see a semblance of a VMO today....mind you, not much of one, but at least there is some "firing" going on.  To help that along, he did Russian E-Stim on it.  Its electrical impulses delivered to the VMO to make it fire.  The pulses ramp up, and as they do, I'm supposed to do a leg raise, so the muscle "learns" that it's supposed to fire when work is required.  Well, he had me on that for 15 minutes, came in near the end of it, just as my knee went "CRAAACK".  He just grinned and said, another adhesion gone!  And, I must say, my knee feels a bit looser in the area where the crack was...(near a portal hole).  He increased my step ups, and cleared me to work with some of the gym equipment, as long as I don't surpass 45 degrees under load. Gave me hip extension, add/abduction, and hamstring work to do.  The hamstring work is supposed to be done in the prone position, with my knee not making any contact with pads (no compression of the patella).  The prone position is supposed to somewhat take the quad out of the picture, so it won't try to yank on the patella either.  No big heroics with the hamstring work.  All in all I'm pleased and happy to be able to increase some of the work.  Knee's doing fine tonight.  A little tired, but once I put it up it was happy as a clam.

Hope all continues to go well with you.......there is light at the end of the tunnel, and its NOT an oncoming train!!!  The first couple of weeks are a real mind bender.....

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 08:40:23 AM »
Good Morning,

I think I spoke too soon.  I was allowed to shower yesterday and remove the bulky layers of dressing so mid morning was a good time to try.  Yeah right.  By the time I got the brace off and the ice wrap and the ace bandage and the dressing and tried to put weight on the leg I knee there was no way I was going to make it into the shower.  In the end I put the brace and Ice thingy back on got washed and put on some clean clothes and called it close enough.   I quickly found that there was no stability in that knee - i didn't trust my leg to support me.

For the most part I don't have much pain however little things like lowering my leg to get out of my recliner and lifing it to get it into the cpm are a real killer.  Where was your pain after the surgery.  The bulk of mine seems to be in the left distal quad in the area where the quad tendon attaches to the knee.  I wonder if he worked in that area as well.  I know with the last surgery there was a ton of scar tissue in that area and my OS debrided it, but it was not painful after the surgery.  Day two was definitely worse than day one.  Today is day three I'll have to see what that brings.  At this point I'm not ready to abandon my favorite word which is OW, Ow,Ow.

God willing I'm going to try to get a load of laundry done today.  My washer and dryer are in the basement.  Thirteen long and tedious steps away.  I can do without the crutches for a brief few steps but since I don't trust my leg to support me laundry may not be in the cards.  I'm supposed to attend the yearly adjusters Christmas party tomorrow.  I would like to go even just for the dinner.  Its a great place to connect with old friends in the industry and to meet some new people as well.  Although I have worked for the same company for the past 19 years and I don't expect they'e going anywhere, you can never be sure so networking is important.

It is so good that you have a great person for PT.  That is huge.  Sounds like you've had some of the same issues post surgery that I had pre-sugery.  The RFM muscle was more like a steel cable than a muscle and wasn't firing at all so the remaining three quad muscles were not only trying to pick up the slack, but also fighting against the RFM which wasn't functioning in any way shape or form.  Once he was able to get the muscle to loosen up we spent a ton of time doing the torture stretch.  I don't know if you've tried that one, but basically you are laying on your stomach while the pt tries to flex the leg/heel to your butt.  It is designed to isolate that muscle and ther were many days that I limped out of pt and spent the next 24 to 48 hours trying to convince the nerves and muscles that the world was not about to end.

The surgeon's office called yesterday and changed my post op follow-up appt fro 12/18 to Christmas Eve.  That seems like a long way out for them to be checking on me, more than three weeks post surgery.  It's going to screw things up a bit for me as well since I'm part of a contemporary chorale at out church and am supposed to sing at a 4 pm mass.  I should be back in time to make it but may not have the energy I need to stand for an hour.

On the positive front with nothing to do except keep my cpm and ice machine company I've knit 4 of the 14 pairs of mittens that the lady up the street requested.  At this rate I'll have all 14 pair done before I go back to work on Monday.

Enough rambling for now.  I'll come back and ramble some more later today.

Have a good one.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 02:50:31 PM »
Good morning, Sue -

Sounds like you are right on schedule ;) for the knee waking up!  We have a regular shower pan type shower with a lip that's about 3 inches tall.  Those three inches might as well have been 50 feet, I think the first time I must have stood at the shower for I don't know how long trying to figure out how to get my very straight leg over that lip. I ended up taking one of my crutches in with me. That helped, but I was still a pretty weak sister going in there.   The leg feels very useless at this point.  You are super concerned about keeping it straight.  I think that was my greatest problem, I was scared that out of habit I would do something stupid like bend it when I wasn't in that brace. Oh yea, showers, while it feels good getting clean, are quite the "mt everest" adventure of the straight legged person!

It does seem a long time to see the doc after surgery.  Do you have stitches, staples, butterfly bandage??  I was itching to get that stuff off at one week time, I can't imagine waiting three weeks.  I would definitely call and see what exercises (SLRs, passive ROM outside of the CPM, etc) you can do after say, one week.  Although the CPM is great for well, continuous motion, there's a muscles component for doing heel slides for ROM.  For me, with my patellar tendon issues, it was huge that I did ROM outside of the CPM.   Wouldn't hurt to ask them about that.  Maybe you can get a visit in to your PT for your RFM, ultrasound or massage to keep it from getting inflamed on you.  Keep up on the pain meds.....you're not being a weeny for taking them!!!!!

Yes, I too, had pains when lifting my leg into positions.  I learned from my PT that those weaknesses are common.  When they do the surgery, they apply a tourniquet above the knee to staunch the blood flow.  If you have strong quads (read, big/bulky) they really need to squash them to get the femoral artery "blocked".  Don't kid yourself that this doesn't hurt, shut down,  or otherwise weaken the quads.  They get cranky and bruised, so it's no surprise that we feel like the day after surgery we've lost all our quad strength.  This lack of strength is what hurts, because all the leverage action is now on your knee joint and tendons, etc. because the quads are sulking.  I kinda made sure that I used my hands to lift under my knee to help it up on things like the CPM and a hassock, or bed.  Until your quads come back, this lifting will be uncomfortable.

Well, this AM I'm hurting a bit.  The russian e-stim took it out of me yesterday.  My quads are sore and the patella tendon is "fired up" (not the good kind) and achy. OF course, going shopping after PT yesterday, and THEN going downstairs foot over foot again didn't help.  When will I learn?? I can't seem to bash it into my brain that when I do something different in PT and feel good afterwards that I'm not healed and I can't walk on water!  I always overdo....in little ways, but it affects me in big ways.  The knee isn't inflamed like it was the last time I overdid, but boy is it letting me know that I overstepped my bounds.  Always discouraging...... I have to remember, I'm only 9 weeks out..... I have many more weeks to go!

I think you should rest up and go to your work related gathering.  Forget the laundry........not a high priority, and I'm sure someone else can do it, right? I agree that networking is a good thing to do, one never knows when you need to either make changes, find information, or just generally contact your peers. I do expect you to wear little jingle bells on your brace, though!!   ;D

Wow, you're really able to knit?  I was pretty useless the first couple of days, I'm sure if I'd tried to knit it would have been a mitten for a three toed sloth, probably!   Hang in there.....maybe a couple of more days that you're feeling like you got hit by a Mack truck, then you'll soon be raring to go.

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 11:55:10 AM »
Well, waking up on day three was a definite improvement.  Mainly because I actually got some sleep.  Tuesday and Wednesday night I slept in the CPM machine as prescribed.  After a while you simply have to change positions so sleep was fitful.  Last night I ditched the machine and got 6 hours of continuous sleep.  Such bliss I can't begin to describe.  Yesterday the lack of sleep and the anesthesia caught up with me and I spent most of the day hooked up to the ice machine and the cpm and dozing on and off.

Pain hasn't been an issue so I haven't taken any of the pain meds.  Needless to say that keeps me from having to eat a box of prunes which is a good thing.  Like you said, the only way to get my leg into the machine or up on the foot rest of the recliner is to use my hands to help lift it.  I feel like I should be able to move it more but the quads simply don't want to work. 

I took your advice and called my pt to see if he could recommend some simple execises I could do outside of the cpm.  Bad news, he's sick and not returning to his practice until the first of the year.  Panic!!! I only agreed to do this surgery because he agreed to get me thru the post operative portion.  On the brighter side it doesn't sound like I'm going to be allowed to do any formal pt until after my 12/24 follow up.  I will call the doc's office today for some direction on exercises. 

Speaking of the CPM, my post op instructions include reaching a 90 degree flex within the first three days.  The people who provided the machine told me that wasn't realistic and most people are lucky to get to 90 degrees by the 8 week point.  I'm trying to do what he asked but at this  point my limit is 55 degrees. Normal???  Nothing really feels normal at the moment.

I've decided to skip the outing tonight.  I don't think I've got the stamina to make it thru even a couple of hours and I'm leery of being away from my ice machine for any length of time.  Besides, what could I wear that would fit over this brace.

Well, it's coming up on 7 am EST and I'm off to the shower. Our shower is in a regular bath tub and I stood there for a good 10 minutes yesterday trying to figure out how to get in.  Ultimately, I too used the crutches. 

You were on a ladder?   I'm impressed.  So far I've ditched the crutches around the house.  I am going out on a short errand this am, but will definitely bring the crutches with me for that adventure.  I don't trust the leg even with the brace.  I have 20 degrees of flexsion in mine but even that doesn't give me a real sense of security.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 07:14:50 PM »
Sue,
Glad to hear that you've passed that "after surgery" hump day.  Doubly glad that you're not feeling any pain.  I had quite the "bone pain" for about a week, but maybe that was mental since the OS told me he drilled "tons" of holes and I'd probably feel it.  So like a good girl, I felt it! :D

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your PT...hopefully, he's not seriously ill.  Bummer for you, I'm not sure what my feeling about this surgery would be without my PT. I know there are lots of good PTs out there, but I've just really clicked with this guy and I think he's taken the time to get to know me and what I want to do (and what I can handle).  It makes for grueling, but productive sessions.  I also know that if, after X amount of time, I'm not responding correctly, he'll tell me that instead of milking me for the next 2 years.  We are getting to the point where I need to start just plain strengthening and he's told me that I don't need him for that.  He does, however, want "control" of what I do, so he works with the strength trainer that I go to once a week at a local (read....much closer to my house) gym.

I went to her this morning. OWWWWW.........I was afraid I'd overdone it (who me 8) ), but after a little rest and icing, I'm doing ok for now.  She had me doing leg press (no angle greater than 45 degrees). It bothered her how my VMO is just not showing any signs of firing, so she had me contract the quad best I could and THEN push against the weight.  Ow, that's what hurt!  But I managed a set of 10.  I did some 45 degree squats, but when I tried to do the knee extension machine (set at 30 degrees) I couldn't even move the bolster that you put your shins under.Go figure.  I didn't try super hard because I'd already done the other exercises and the knee (mostly quads) was tired.  Good way to get hurt.   Then we worked the rest of my body, and quite frankly, my leg gets quite a workout with some of those standing exercises.  All in all....I've only been home about an hour, but so far, I can tell I've worked out, but I'm not in pain (hope I'm not too optimistic).

Yes, I did get on the ladder yesterday, and everything was fine.  I am more cautious these days, a little worried about falling since I don't have much leg strength and proprioception in that right leg.  I've always been fortunate with my balance, but I know that right now, it's iffy....hard to catch yourself when half of you doesn't know where it is in "space".

My OS said that I could go to 90 degrees in the first week and "unlimited" after the first week.  As long as you have bandages over the portal holes, it feels awkward to bend it very far.  When can you take those off?  Mine basically came off at the end of the first week, although I left them on as a "courtesy" for the PA to take off (that jackass).  At the end of week 6 I started formal PT and ROM was measured at 145 at that time.  I think you'll find that after that first week of "swelling" you'll be able to get better ROM than you think. Did you ask the OS if you can do heel slides?  My husband fashioned a very slippery piece of 2 x 6 made of Timber Tech, a fake wood, that I would do my heel slides on while sitting on the sofa.  We have Timber Tech decks....one side is super sticky, while the bottom is slick....amazing all the junk we still have left over from building the house.  Bet a piece of finished wood flooring would work just as well.  What was nice about this piece was that I could take it into the TV room, sit it up in the recliner and "slide away" while watching some stupid show!

What?  No jingle bells on the brace?  Can't say I blame you...I felt very protective of myself that first week...rather like a sick cat that just wants to be left alone with my personal knee drama.

I would certainly take your crutches, or a cane, with you when you're going to be on your feet for awhile.  That knee has been through a pretty dramatic trauma, and needs to be babied along for awhile.  I think both of us need to incorporate the mantra, "Don't Overdo"....

Really glad to hear that your pain is minimal...

Well, I'm off to do some housework. We have two dogs that together shed about a "dog's worth" of hair every 3-5 days.... so vacuuming is my sport!  I need to clean the bathroom too...oh joy.

Hope you have a good day today!

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »
Well, 've made it to day 4 post op and 70 degrees on the cpm.  I have to admit that the ice machine has been a true lifesaver.  The swelling seems to be coming down bit by bit.

Yesterday I managed to get to the bank and do some vacuuming in between cpm and icing sessions.  Last night I got the bright idea that we should go out for supper.  Mostly to get me out of the house.  I should have known better.  I had been running a low grade fever all day.  To say that I couldn't wait to get out of that restaurant would be the understatement of the year.  Man was I sick.  I feel beter today but still have the fever and don't have much energy.  I double checked the incisions and there is no sign of an infection but it I don't turn it around by the end of the weekend I'll get in to see the doc.

I did manage to get some grocery shopping done with hubby's help this morning.  He drove and pushed the cart while I crutched along throwing food into the cart. The good news is that now I have a fresh stock of fresh fruits and veggies.  I'm not much of a frozen foods or prepared foods person so microwaving a frozen dinner isn't something I'm going to miss.

On the vacuuming front, our dog isn't the issue.  Rat terriers shed very little.  However, year and a half ago my oldest daughter brought home a kitten that was supposed to stay for the weekend and hasn't left yet.  He's a beautiful cat but sheds like there is no tomorrow.  Actually, all my left knee problems started with the cat.  Last September I squatted down to pick up the litter box, tore my medial meniscus and the rest as they say is history.  Or more appropriately, the beginning of the end.

From a pain perspective.  I'm faring pretty well except when the dog decides to jump onto my lap using my knee as a springboard.  I wish I knew more about what he did in the surgery.  How many holes etc.  I'm still pretty tender in the distal quad so I don't know if it's just because of the surgery of it he did some more work in that area. 

We just put laminate flooring in two of the bedrooms a few months ago.  I'm going to have hubby grab a piece of the extra flooring for me so I can start some heel slides in the next couple of days.  The only good thing about being a bump on a log is that no activity means no appetite so I've actually lost a few pounds.

When I get the ok for activity I'm going to have to get a temp membership to one of the other gyms in the area as mine does not have a pool and I suspect that a pool is going to be my choice for exercise.

I was able to get some info on my pt.  He is having some back issues and decided to take a few weeks off.  Since the pt office is his it gives him a little freedom.  He has one other person working with him and she is still there, but Mark is my first choice.  Hopefully he'll be back at the first of the year which is when I hope to get the ok to do some basic pt.  All of the pre surgery strengthening was for not.  The quad is already starting to atrophy.

Hope you have a good day.  We have a little snow in the forecast for tomorrow.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 03:18:46 AM »
Hi Sue,

See you're moving right along on that CPM!!!  I was told that day 3 or 4 is when the swelling would "peak", so you're right on schedule!!  Sure hope you haven't picked up a bug or something!  Hope by tonight your fever was down!

Didn't it feel good to get out to the store? Yea, it's hard, but at least you're OUT!  I'm like you, don't eat a lot of processed foods, and quite frankly, don't trust hubby to pick up the right veggies (I can just see him scratching his head over the celeriac, celery, and rutabagas.  ::) 

I've found the pool to be invaluable....today, I went and picked up my friend at around 10AM. We went shopping until about 3.  By about  2-2;30 my knee was starting to feel tight, tired and definitely cranky.  I dropped her off and went to the pool.  Swam for about 30 minutes and by the time I got out my knee felt almost brand new!  I thought for sure the swimming would just aggravate the tightness, instead it seems the reverse happened.  I'm really quite jazzed about that.

I also got a very nice "feel good" comment from my friend.  Just as I was starting to bemoan (silently) my fate on how the knee was starting to act up towards the end of our shopping excursion she said that she was amazed at how well and improved I was.  She told me that compared to last week, I was walking better, not favoring the knee, nor was I walking slower than usual.  See, I had not seen that in myself....it was nice to hear it.

I know I still have a long way to go.  There's a lot of "tenderness" inside that knee and it's got to toughen up, but for tonight I'm hopeful!

Don't you dare think that the pre-surgery strengthening was for naught.  I think if you go in to a surgery strong, you  may have to regain the muscles, but you know what it was like, and you know what to work towards. Personally, I think you also come back quicker.  One of the reasons that I think I like my PT is because he likes working with people who are motivated.  People who know what it is they want to do, they know what to work towards and they'll "suffer through" the time it takes to get there.  I've seen it myself....folks at the therapists office who don't have a functioning muscle in their entire body, and they are trying to come back from a replacement or injury.  Sadly, it's often overweight, older, women...  :-\  So, while you may see your quad go bye-bye for awhile........it'll be back!!!!   I think I saw my VMO again today.......that quivering piece of muscle!  Sort of reminds me of a frightened kitten that you have to coax to come out of hiding.  Hmmmm...I may have to give it a name.....how about VelMO?   8)

Supposed to have some snow tonight....I bought some more lights for the house today that I hope to put up tomorrow.  Need to get started on writing cards as well.

Hope tomorrow you'll be smoking that CPM to the Nth degree!!

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 10:03:34 AM »

It's 4:30 am hereand the predicted snow is no where to be seen.  Like you we had record snow last year.  Around 118" in total.  We were a little under two inches from the record set back in the 1830's.  Last year we had 42" in the month of December, this year we've only had a dusting.  Yahoo!  Maybe this is a good omen.

The fever seems to be gone and I slept 9 hours last night.  It's amazing how restorative sleep is.  At the moment I'm plugged into the cpm set a top speed and 75 degrees with no pain other than the steri strips over the ports are pulling.  I can't tell for certain, but it looks like he made two new incisions rather than recutting where the Dr. Moran made the incisions in the prior two surgeries.  Hopefully this will help on the scar tissue front. I aleady had plenty of scar tissue that looked like someone tied a not in those tendons.  Most of the swelling is gone with the exception of the distal quad.  That area is hard as a rock, looks like it swallowed 1/2 of a grapefruit and is still pretty tender.

The game plan is to return to work tomorrow.  I'm optimistic that I can handle it, but if not I'll try 1/2 days for this week.  More than anything it will screw up my cpm time which means that I willl have to go back to sleeping (or not) in this contraption.  I'm sure the fact that I'm a desk jockey will make it easier for me.  I've already warned the boss that my attire will be sweats since I can't  get dress pants over the brace and I'll be dammed if I'm wearing a skirt when the high temp for the day is capped at 19 degrees.  He's a good guy and said as long as I came in he didn't care if I wore my pajamas.  Maybe I'll try that!!! Part of what I do requires a fair amount of time in a courtroom,  if memory serves I only have one day in court this month so that shouldn't be too bad.  I'll pretty sure a judge won't be as understanding as my boss is.  -:).

I've noticed the same thing about PT.  I see so many people who are there going through the motions but have no motivation.  I know that they are not following the home exercise program and are still grumbling that they aren't improving.  It has to be frustrating for the therapist.  By the way, they are mostly overweight older women.  I'm no ballerina at 5' 10" and 180 pounds but at least most of my weight is muscle not flab.  Up to the day of surgery I was still doing situps, straight leg raises and a number of no impact exercises every morning.  I'm going to try to get back to them this week.  I've been leary of getting onto the floor and having to figure out how t get up again with the brace, but I have to overcome that hurdle.

Plan for the day is to shop for stocking stuffers and wrap some presents.  I have a roast for supper that I'm planning to serve with some roasted red potatoes and fresh asparagus if the energy holds out.

Have a great day.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2008, 05:05:36 PM »
Good heavens, girl, what were you doing up at 4:30 AM?  CPMing?  It's trying to snow here, but I think it's mostly rain, with some flurries in there.  It's supposed to rain later this afternoon. 

Yes, sleep is amazing.  When you get a good nights, after a surgery, it's amazing how clear thinking you are in the morning.  We have more things in common!!!  My OS also made new incisions....the last doc used the first set of portal holes, but this guy made some new ones!  I do think those portal holes get pretty scarred up.  I know PT is always working em abit.  I try to rub them here at home also.  They are much better than when I first got the steri strips off.  I bought some pure vitamin E oil and would spend a lot of time just massaging the areas.  There's not much of a topical scar left, still a little bumpy underneath though.

I feel like the knee is getting stronger everyday, but it still feel like a bunch of stuff is just rubbing in there.  I have a very hard time laying on my back bringing my knees somewhat towards my chest and then extending the operated knee.  I wonder if that's just muscle weakness?  The short arc extension exercises also don't feel really good.  Yet, SLRs are fine, so are all ab/adduction exercises.  Yesterday for the first time I did hamstring curls.  Used a very low weight and it went fine....did 3 sets of 10.  I stood up and my hamstring cramped like you wouldn't believe.....grrrrrrrrr.......guess it didn't like being worked!  Well, too bad!

Hope it works out well for you to go to work.  Can you put your knee up?  I don't know what kind of brace you have, but mine worked ok OVER my jeans.  I don't think it is meant to be there for long periods of walking, etc. but it did allow me to wear my jeans.  I think I tried that after the first week.  I didn't work well with "slippery" fabrics, but ok with jeans.

How are the mittens coming?  I'm hoping to get a quilt done today, well, quilted anyway, will still have to do the binding!  It's a good day for staying in....

Hang in there......this is going to start getting old pretty soon........but it will change!!!

marjan