Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Trochlear Groove Microfracture  (Read 103716 times)

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Trochlear Groove Microfracture
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
Hello Sue,

I'm doing better.  PT did indeed talk me off the ledge and calmed me down.  I'm still very worried, but he explained it as such......I was in an immobilizer brace for 6 weeks, and fairly active (shopping, upper body workouts, cleaning, vacuuming, etc etc).  Then, the brace is opened and for the first time the new graft/clot/whatever you want to call the scar tissue in my trochlear groove is "exposed" to some pressure from weighted/loaded flexion.  Basically, the sleeping giant was woken up and it was cranky!  Probably because I tried to be just as active and the site isn't ready for that.There was nothing I could identify that I had done to damage the site (no falls, no deep flexion under load, etc) so the inflammation that occurred was "merely" a reaction to the site being used.  Since then I've read that sometimes between 6-8 weeks there's a second occurence of effusion in some people after microfracture....

That said, I'm still eating the anti-inflammatories, and the knee, though not swollen, is painful in a bruised, vice grip type way.  PT worked on some scar tissue stuff on Monday, and that whole area he worked is sore.  He had me back off the very short steps I was trying, as well as reduced the weight for the SLRs.

Now, as to your question of would I do it again?  I've had to think about that.  I'm in the middle of probably the worst part of rehab....no immobilizer to "hide in", no muscles to carry me, and a lot of "bone" pain.  But, yes, I would do it again.  I know I may end up with a TKR sooner than later because this operation may be for naught, but at least I've made the effort, did my best with what I've been given and won't have a lot of regrets should this not work.

MFX is a real mind game, I think.  The process is so long, and it's such a fine line that you need to follow....can't do too much, can't sit on your butt either.  Have to work through some pain, but no so much pain that you damage, or set back your recovery.   It truly feels like the old adage, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!".....sigh.....

How are you doing?  What's the pain like?

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 09:16:14 PM »
Hi Marjan,

Glad to hear that you are off the ledge.  The pt's wisdom makes good sense.  Keep eating the anti inflamatories if they're helping. 

I've been up and down the fence a dozen times since seeing my OS last week.  In the am the knee feels pretty good and I think "I can live with this."  By the end of the day it becomes an effort to climb the two stairs from my kitchen to my living room and I know that I have to have the surgery.  Two minutes ago I got the perfect reminder getting up from the throne when the pain hit a 10 and the knee buckled.  Like you I have already been told that I'm headed for a TKR.  In July my OS told me he wanted me to get to a 7 or 8 out of 10 on the recovery scale and try to hold me there for a few more years and then replace both knees.  (I've already had a medial and latera menisectomy on the right knee and the MRI showed more arthritis in the right knee than this one so I'm on a slippery path.  So, in my saner moments when I'm not on a ledge or a fence I know that this is the one option I have to try to delay the TKR and I will go ahead with it despite my OS' advice to delay it.  The more reading I do the more I'm finding that most surgeons are saying that the closer to the event that the proceedure is done, the better the outcome.  Also, there appears to a point of no return with the amount of arthritis present.  Mine is still within that window and there's no guaranty that after another 60 days of trudging thru the ice and snow there won't be too much deterioration to proceed.  (Yep - I'm rationalizing this the best I can.)

Take it easy for the next couple of weeks.  It seems like baby steps are the way to go.

Thanks for the update - I can't begin to tell you how much our chats have meant to my mental health.    Keep me posted.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch
7/31/09 trochlear groove resurfacing

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 03:07:08 AM »
Hi Sue,

Went to PT again today....hitting it pretty hard this week to get past this flare up.... and after a good hour of all sorts of modalities  I feel a little better again.  I think the super inflammation is gone (knee doesn't feel hot anymore) and the vise is a little less tight.  Think it will be few more days before I feel like I'm past this, but I'm hopeful.

From what I've read, if a defect is fairly "new", the edges of it a very defined (without the "crackling" appearance of arthritis). With cleaner margins they don't have to clear more area (ie make it bigger) to get smooth margins for the graft/clot to stick to.   Size of the defect also plays into it's success.  My trochlear groove was pretty much shot from beginning to end, so that's not in my favor.  But, with good, slow, steady PT, I have the best chance possible and we'll go from there.

I'm not afraid of a TKR.  This whole knee thing has changed my life....some for the worse, some for the better.  Priorities get re-arranged. I'm active in the sport of dog agility, which requires running along side your dog while he/she does an obstacle course.  I have a great little, fast dog.....very competitive, but I'm unsure whether I'll be able to compete again.  Threw my life for a loop.  Never thought my body would let me down like this.  I've always been active in tennis, water skiing, hiking, kayaking, biking and dog stuff. My husband and I built our own home and spent many hours climbing all over our roof to paint fascias and put up vent pipes.  We landscaped our two acres and grow our own veggies.  Now this....... That's the pity party side.  The good side......I think it's made me a better person, I'm not as impatient with people (how can you be, when you're the slowest moving thing in four states?), I appreciate little things more, and I guess I'm learning how to age (ouch, this one hurts).

They are doing so many marvelous things with the new knee prosthesis.  Between the minimally invasive surgery, quad sparing surgery and the newer, better articulating knees, who knows....maybe by then, the idea of being without this "getting up from the throne 10 pain" will be enough to make it something to look forward to.  Like you though, I'm in that in-between state.  Not bad enough to want to lose my natural knee, not good enough to expect full "like when I was 30" recovery.

But, for now, I'll do the best I can with this MFX.  I'm sure at some point in the next few months I'll be second guessing myself again and again, but I suppose that's to be expected.  We seem to be a bit of kindred spirits with our ages, hobby (kayaking) and common defect..... If you decide to have the surgery, I'll be here cheering you on!!!

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
Good Morning,

Glad to hear that things are improving a bit.   One day at a time isn't a bad motto even though it makes you want to throttle the person who came up with it.

Morning is here and a clearer head prevails.  The more I read the more I realize that I have virtually every symptom this proceedure is designed to address.  For some reason the last couple of days have been a bit of a downhill slide on the pain scale.  I suppose it is a friendly reminder that I need to fix the problem and move on with my life.

I'm a pet fan as well.  We have a purebred rat terrier that we really enjoy.  He is a people person and needs to be sitting with you whenever you sit down.  Unfortunately he doesn't have a competitive bone in his body not withstanding his Alpha Male complex.  He never barks or is aggressive other than with my husband who is all to happy to take him up on the challenge at every turn.

Our lives are more parallel than you know.  We too, built our home and did the associated gymnastics.  My husband loves to build so every spring I can count on his building something new - a barbecue pit, covered and lighted, a three season porch and one year he decided that he wanted to reverse the position of our kitchen and living room.  In the end it was a good move, but to be honest I was pretty sure he'd gone off the deep end.  I guess after 23 years of marraige I've learned to trust his judgment.

My spirit is up for the moment.  I guess I've made peace with the decision to have the surgery done and move on.  I doubt that skiing will be in my future, but a walk with the dog and a game of hoops with my daughter should be doable.

Keep me posted.

Sue

rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 02:51:46 AM »
Wow, we do have more in common.

I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain.  It gets so old, doesn't it? It really is a reminder that something needs to be done.  We're really too young to be sitting around having our darn knees rule our lives.

Since you'll be recuperating over the Christmas holidays, are you trying to get things done before hand?  Which knee is it?  Sorry, if you've mentioned it before....but if it's your right, you won't be able to drive for awhile....Go forth and Christmas shop!!!  Easier said than done in these economic times.

Do you have some "sit down" hobbies?  If not, find one....you'll be doing plenty of sitting and having something you like to do really helps.  Hubby just brought in a nice ottoman to put underneath my computer desk, so I can sit with my knee up. That's going to help my computer time!

The knee is doing ok, I guess.  It feels very "thick" and tight.  I don't think it's inflamed, however, it probably is still swollen inside there.  I have been doing all my PT stuff, including riding the stationary bike (low tension) and starting to do some short arc quad extensions.  The exercises feel pretty good when I do them, but then a couple of hours later, I can feel that my knee has been "used".   Hey, I wonder if it's legal to kidnap my PT and have him live here at the house for a couple of months!  That would lift my spirits!  LOL :o  As it is, he is about 1.5 hours away but worth it!

How far will you have to travel for your surgery?  It's still on 12/2?  Are you ready??  Just be aware, and you probably know this from your other surgeries, that you'll feel great the day of the surgery. You'll wonder why you are having it done!  I know that's been my MO.....

Hope the pain isn't too bad....do you take anything for it? Does ice/heat help?

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 08:41:45 AM »

Hey, ghost, you have 0 messages, 0 are new.
Total time logged in: 2 hours and 17 minutes.
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Homepage Information hub Bulletin board Forum archives 

Search the bulletin board only:

Advanced search 

Profile Info
Summary
Show Stats
Show Posts

Modify Profile
Account Related Settings
Forum Profile Information
Look and Layout Preferences
Notifications and Email
Personal Message Options

Actions
Delete this account

Hi,

You're right the pain is a good reminder.  Of course, the other day when I was having a pity party for myself as I was in the car headed off to do errands I also got a reminder.  I was feeling bad for myself because of the continued pain and upcoming surgery and along the road I met a man with no legs out in his racing wheelchair.  So in hindsight I've really got nothing to complain about.

I've been pretty good about getting the Christmas shopping done early.  In fact I got the word about the 3rd surgery back on September 29th and started my shopping the following weekend so I'm in pretty good shape.  I'll probably venture out on Black Friday and finish up the rest of it.  I've also been remodeling my 21 year old daughter's bedroom.  She and her soon to be husband built a house and are just about ready to move in.  It's nice to see a normal color on the walls.  She had painted her room lipstick red in a semi gloss paint.  Yuch!!  Now we're back to a tan and light turquoise blue scheme and the room will be ready for my dad who will be down on Sunday to spend the holiday with us. In fact I just finished mounting the curtain tie backs and hanging a couple of pictures so other than a light cleaning it's ready to go.

I luck out on the PT travel time, he is less than 1/4 mile away.  Even with a bum leg I could probably walk there in under 5 minutes.  I live in Goffstown, NH but about 2 miles outside of town - his is the only business in the area and even residential homes are pretty sparse.  My brother-in-law and his wife live on an adjacent piece of property, but other than that my closest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away.

Surgery is about the same distance as your pt is.  The surgery will be done at Mass General West Hospital's facility in Waltham, Ma.  It's just south of Boston.

You've definitely got the MO right, on the day of surgery I've never been in pain.  It always makes me wonder.  The difference between humans and animals is supposed to be that we humans are logical, reasoning beings.  So why would a logical person walk into a place comparatively pain free knowing that they will neither be walking out nor pain free?  And too boot we do it voluntarily.

Thankfully I do enjoy some sedentary hobbies.  I'm an avid reader and I knit about 100 sets of hats and mittens every year and donate them to the homeless shelter.  I also just purchased some yarn to start an afghan so that will  keep me busy.

I am supposed to go to a function for work on 12/5.  Not sure if I'll make it or not.  I've already warned the attorney I'm attending with that I will be in a brace and likely on crutches and as for pain meds I would have to wait and see.

By the way it is the left knee.  Funny thing is that until I had my second surgery this year is that I always drove a standard.  After the second surgery I was having a problem using the clutch so two weeks after the surgey I traded cars and purchased an automtic.  I figured having to physically pick up my leg and put it on the clutch probably wasn't a good thing.  go figure!!

Hope things continue to improve.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »
Good morning, Sue.

Ah, she's a knitter.....I knit too, though right now my first love is quilting.  Have you ever looked on-line at Ravelry.com?  It has tons of free patterns and some really neat designs.

The knee is doing ok, but it seems pretty painful in an aching sort of way.  I went shopping yesterday and I went to the gym and swam for about 20 minutes.  At first that whole leg sorta "dangled" out there while I mainly used my arms, but I slowly gained a bit of confidence and started using my right leg a little.  No big kicks though.  It felt good to be in the water, I do love to swim.  After swimming I probably walked the pool length (25 meters) about 4 times, trying to use a bit more "lift" in my quads while walking.  That felt pretty good also.  Had to treat myself to a long sit in the sauna after that!!  All in all, the knee held up ok, but it sure still seems achy and creaky.

I'll be coming up on 8 weeks this wednesday, and I'm hoping that I'll gain some confidence that the scar/clot is going to hold. It's a bit of a mind game, not knowing whether it is successful or not. My odds are not very good since it was a very large defect. But, on the other hand, I don't have any other health problems, eat well, live well, so that's in my favor.  Plus, since I've had MFX on the femoral condyle before, and THAT filled in very nicely and smoothly, I have a positive history with this surgery type.  We'll see. 

Going to a function three days after surgery?  That's pretty brave.  On the positive side, you'll probably still be using some meds to stay comfortable and you'll be able to move around in your immobilizer.  On the tough side, you'll not want to be away from ice and the CPM machine too long.  Not sure if your doc will prescribe a CPM, but it really helped me gain my flexion in no time at all.  The continual icing is pretty key also.  Some people are prescribed one of those ice machines that circulate cool water around your knee.  I wasn't offered one of those, so spent countless hours with ice packs and ice massage cups (which I love). 

The psychology of going in feeling ok, coming out in pain is an interesting one.  With mfx, that lasts for months, wondering whether you've done the right thing.  I think it's really important to realize that this recuperation is no different in essence than a TKR.....it takes a long time, it's definitely not linear, and what doesn't kill you mentally is going to make you stronger and more compassionate in the end.  I also think going through mfx will make it easier on me if/when I do get a TKR.  The rehab is similar, so mentally I'll be prepared (she says with a sigh).

I'm doing well on the exercise front.  I can ride my stationary bike at level 3 now...still fairly slow on the RPMs, but that's ok.  I am able to do 4 inch step ups, (working my way up to stairs) and all the exercises are getting easier to do.  The only one where I have a real problem and that is side steps up on a block.  Actually it's a two inch high block, you step up with the "bad" leg then take the good leg and lower it to the ground on the side of the block, making your bad knee flex under load.  Something catches in my knee and it's fairly painful, so I don't do a lot of those, just enough til it starts to be felt.

I have only one PT appointment next week, it's a double one where he'll do both the modalities (ultrasound/estim , deep tissue massage etc) as well as review my strength and change exercises accordingly. 

Enjoy your Sunday -

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 08:32:19 AM »
Hi Marjan

Its three am ESTand Im up and on my second cup of coffee. Probably not a good sign for what the day holds.  Even the prep is a psychological game.  I thought this week would be a little less stressful on the medical side since I'm filling in for our csr and manager this week.  I'm a claims handler for a property and casualty insurer.  I was doing fine until the medical device people called me yesterday to set up a meeting to measure my leg for the CPM.  Then the mind game started again.

On theflip side this weekend was a bit of a disaster anyway.  I finished getting the spare bedroom ready for my dad and then made the 3 1/2 hour trip up to get him in the am, returned in the afternoon.  I had a roast in the crockpot to cover the supper front  Good thing because by the time I got home my husband had cut down a number of trees around the house which are still on the lawn because the weather went from freezing cold (18 degees) to 38 degrees and pouring rain.  By 6 pm on Sunday our septic system became clogged and we had to have them come and pump out the tank.  That will keep the system working until friday and then my husband will replace the leach field.  By 9 pm my 19 year old came out of her bedroom covered in a rash that looked like a cross between scarlet fever and the german measles.  She went to the ER, hung around until midnight waiting to be seen, told them off and came home.  She went to her PCP yesterday am and they think it is either Strep or German measles.  In either case she couldn;t go back to college as they wouldn't let her attend class with the rash so she is home for the week.  Enter Monday afternoon when my sister called paniced that she couldn't reach Dad, who of course was here with me.  And to boot, her husband's father passed away yesterday afternoon.  So, somewhere in the insanity I have to find the time and energy to drive to Massachussets to attend the funeral.  As they say, when it rains it pours. 

Sounds to me like your making steady progress on the strengthening front. Swimming is a great way to use the muscles without putting alot of stress on them.  Step ups sound like they are going well.  After my first surgery last December I used to due them three times a day, but they never got easier or more pain free, clearly that was being caused by the lesion.  I could always bend the knee virtually pain free, but I could never get to 30 degrees flexion with the knee loaded.

I've never tried quilting, but I think it is something I would enjoy.  I used to do alot of cross stitch, but haven't done any in a couple of years. 
I'll check out that web site you gave me.  Other good sites are "freeknitting.com and Knitting on the net".  They also have crochet and a number of other crafting patterns.

Keep me posted on the recovery front.  I'm guessing they will call me today or tomorrow with the time of my surgery.  Then I can contact the medical equipment folks, due to the distance we decided they would meet me at the hospital and do whatever they need to do pre-surgery.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 09:25:46 PM »
Oh Sue, no wonder you are up at 3AM......oh my, what a plateful and it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

Maybe it's good that so many things are getting done BEFORE your surgery.  Wow, getting the spare bedroom done, getting your dad (7 hours+ driving "ain't" no piece of cake) and dealing with trees and septic systems.  But, those last two items are on someone else's list, so you can stop worrying about them (yea, easier said than done, eh?)

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter has strep/measles.  Poor kid must be pretty miserable!  Timing isn't horrible though, since it is the thanksgiving week, unless, like my old school, we had lots of midterms during that time!  Hope she feels better soon.  Be sure to remind her that everything you do for her she'll be paying back when you are laid up!  ;D 

Well, it certainly seems to be "pouring" in NH this week.  Guess better now than next week!  You must be getting special care to be fitted ahead of time for a CPM.  I just had some rep drop the thing off at the hospital and "sort of" make sure that the pads fit.  I don't know if you've used one before, but it's a nifty machine.  Make sure you have REALLY LOOSE pants to wear because you don't want your pant leg to rub down on the top of your patella.  I bought cheapo sweat pants, size GIANT, and actually rolled up the operated side of the pants.  Worked pretty well keeping the other side warm.  I wore shorts also.  I bought some ice cups called "cryocups" to use for icing, but small waterfilled dixiie cups frozen work well also.  I found that big ice packs, or solid ice packs were too hard pressing down on my patella, and just direct ice massaging got the cold where I wanted it, in about 1/10th the time.  I also made sure I had a solid rubber surface in my shower, as well as an old stool for support.  It feels very awkward trying to keep your leg totally straight and just having a little place to rest helped me out. (They used these see through bandages that water proofed my incisions so I could shower after 24 hours....heavenly to get clean again)  Ummm, here's one more thing........ummmmm.......the doc had me taking percocet the first couple of days (I had a lot of holes drilled and he wanted me to stay WAY ahead of the pain)....I never really felt Like I needed them, but that was probably cause I used them religiously for 3 days.  That also meant that I needed to eat prunes.....nuff said! :o

I could have written you last night, for I too, was up.  Had a great day yesterday, even accidentally finding myself stepping down stairs normally (yea, for about 2 steps and then I went  *)*(&*)(...that hurts!!!  So, had a normal day, sat a lot, got up a lot, cleaned up doggie area (bending over and cleaning floor), etc etc.  By 11 oclock last night my knee was screaming in pain.  I iced, I cajoled, I ate advil, I had a gin/tonic......which finally let me drift off to sleep.  I woke several more times, really hurting....deep hurt.  Then this morning things seemed better and I went to PT where I got the "WHY were you walking down steps....why were you cleaning floors" lecture.  Apparently, I'm a prime candidate for overdoing things.  So, I'll pass on to you.......we've got to take this easy!!!!  Even when things feel perfectly fine don't do more than prescribed!  It's probably THE hardest lesson in all this.  PT said the steps probably put a new, and hereto unknown, stress on a part of the groove that reacted by flaring up.  TWO STEPS.....YUCK......  It's not near as bad as the first flareup but I think those "hey look we're touching a new part of the groove" moments and subsequent flares are going to happen.

But, on the brightest note........I DROVE TODAY!!!  Oh yea, I feel like a teenager all over again.  The world is my oyster and all that good stuff!  Yippee!!!!  PT had me test the knee at an approximate car seat angle and he said as long as I have power brakes, no problem.  Oh, that felt good!

Not doing much here for T-Day.  Hubby is a college football watcher, so I usually just make a small dinner with all the trimmings here, and let him have his football day orgy.  I'm going shopping at my favorite quilt store (40 percent off EVERYTHING) on friday at 6AM.....oh yeah!

I hope things settle a bit for you, and that the rest of the week will keep you busy enough so you won't have time to second guess your decision, but not so busy that you can't full relax prior to your "Big Tuesday".....

take care,

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »
Hey- you're driving - that's awesome.  Mine is my left leg so I'm supposed to be able to drive within a few days.  Having said that I drive a small car and I'm not sure that with a locked brace I'll be able to get into the driver's side.  Time will tell.

I've been checking out the black friday fliers,  you can find them along with the coupons at www.blackfriday.info if you're interested.  I'll probably head out early and shop for a couple of hours, more for the Tradition of it than anything else.

Thanksgiving dinner is traditionally hosted by me.  I'm the middle child in a family of three and centrally located from the travel perspective.  No big deal to me, I made a couple of pies before work this morning and am ready to go.  I think there should be 12 of us in total.

I'm impressed that you were swimming and able to kick with that leg - that's great news and water therapy is the kindest sort.

Well all the calls have been made, the people with the cpm machine are meeting me at the hosptial in the recovery room, the Doc called and confirmed that I am scheduled for surgery Tuesday at 8:30 am, and the nurse called with all the pre-op questions.  I'm not a fan of taking things too seriously so when she asked me if I remembered experiencing any memory loss in the past 6 months my response was "would I remember it if I did."  After ten minutes she finally stopped laughing and finished that up.  Of course they also asked about high blood pressure and I said I would only answer that in post op since I was sure in pre-op I would be bordering on cardiac arrest.

Thanks for all the tips on how to get around after surgery.  The stool is a great idea, I have the rubber mat, and I'm not sure how to reach my foot to tie my shoes.  Slip ons sound like a plan to me.  They didn't start me on meds for pre-op for this one but I did for the past two so I think I'll follow that protocol which included 4 tylenol and 3 advil twice a day along with a 325 mg ecotrin to help prevent blod clots.  My plan is to follow that regimen from Saturday til Monday and by Tuesday I'll make the switch to the heavy hitters.  They told me they would be giving me oxycodone?  Will I need them?  With the past 2 surgeries I took one in the recovery room and then no more as I didn't feel I needed them.  I suspect with this one I'm going to be holding tightly to that little bottle.

By the way your sound after walking down 2 stairs bears a remarkable resemblance to the one I make when I stomp or catch my foot on something.  Straight out of the peanuts cartoon

Have a great Thanksgiving. 

Sue

rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 10:55:02 PM »
Hi Sue,

Have you had mfx surgery before?   You may want to check with your doc before hitting the pre-op drugs.  I'm not sure you want to be on any meds that prevent or mess with clotting, because remember the picking they are going to do is meant to induce bleeding, and that bleeding wants to become a clot.  I was actually told not to take any aspirin/ibuprofen/anti-inflammatory for a week prior.

Oxycodone is the same as percocet.  I have taken more of it this operation than any of the other ops.  Don't know if I'm getting to be a pain weenie, or whether this surgery with it's numerous "bone holes" is just more painful.

Sounds like Thanksgiving is all planned.  I just pulled the pie out and I'm pretty much set for tomorrow. 

Have a good holiday.....

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 08:33:12 AM »
Good morning,t

No, I haven't had microfracture before.  I've had a lateral and medial menisectomy on my right knee and two medial menisectomy's on my left knee.  The first was December 7, 2007 and the second was on June 10, 2008.  I fell on ice three weeks out from the first surgery and retore the meniscus along with fileting the cartelidge on the back of my knee cap and creating a partial tear of the quad tendon attachment.  The OS removed the hanging flaps of cartelidge on the back of the knee which left me with a grade three lesion and he also debrided a ton of scar tissue in the suprapatella pouch.  My pt guy felt that he only did half of what needed to be done with the suprapatella pouch and indicated that he probably should have gone in with some wires and reattached the torn area.  However, since the surgery was arthroscopic he couldn't eally reach the area and so kind of did part of what was needed.   

I have a couple of sheets of instructions for this surgery which I will read later today and unless it tells me to I won't be taking any meds. 
As for the pain I very much doubt you are a "weanie".  They are making holes in a bone and having broken my right arm and my left foot along with a few fingers when I was a youngster I know bone pain is right at the top of the list in terms of intensity. 

Hope you had a restful Thanksgiving.  Our day was very nice, but I'll be eating leftovers for a few days.  The plan this morning is to head out around 6 am with my 83 year old father and get in a little black Friday shopping.  He's not much of a shopper but he really wants to go so we'll go to a couple of stores and then I'll take him out to breakfast.  My plan is to be home by mid morning.  The rest of the day I'll catch up on laundry and some house work and then tomorrow I'll take him home.  Sunday I'll finish up the odds and ends and grocery shop.  Monday I'm working and then I'll be on my way to the hospital Tuesday around 6 am.  The hospital is around 60 miles away, but the traffic going into Boston is horrific. On a good day it will take an hour or more to travel the 20 mile stretch from just north of Boston to just south of it.   When the office called with my surgery time on Wednesday I was supposed to be there at 6:45 am.  I was so excited I was first on the schedule and way ahead of rush hour traffic.  1/2 hour later they called back and moved me to an 8:30 arrival time and said that they had someone with a medical condition that needed to be first on the schedule.  That meant I was in the dead center of rush hour traffic.  Compared to the last two surgeries the time is a piece of cake  The two prior surgeries were in the afternoon so I had more time to think and ramp up the nerves than I needed.  I did go to work both morning just to keep my mind occupied but it didn't help all that much.

Have a great weekend.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 01:11:13 AM »
Hello Sue,

It looks like you are all set for Tuesday.  Hope your Black Friday shopping was a success.  Like I mentioned, I went to my favorite quilt shop (everything was 50 percent off from 6-8AM) and boy oh boy, I guess I'm expecting a long, snowed-in winter because I have enough fabric to build enough quilts to cover every window in this house if I run out of propane!  ;D  Fun stuff though.  I stock up on fabric every "black Friday", it's become a tradition of sorts.

You know, this was my third surgery as well, and quite frankly, if I had been less naive after the first surgery, I may not have needed this last one.  But, that's water under the bridge.  I had to laugh at our similarities, for my surgeon this time told me how much scar tissue there was around the patella tendon, but he didn't do anything about it!!!!  My PT just rolled his eyes and said, why didn't he take care of that while he was in there????  Guess there were too many surgeries scheduled on the "conveyor belt"....a shame.....  This is my third OS, and I keep thinking I AM the one who is at fault, but, although I don't think it's malicious, I think the way most of these guys operate just doesn't really allow for careful after care.

I'm doing pretty good.  My IT Band is really acting up close to the knee....and yes, my patella tendon is cranky as usual.  My rehab exercises are getting much easier (the 4 inch steps are almost completely effortless)  I'm sure PT will be upping the ante this coming week.  PT upped the stationary bike a level (no pain there), but my RPMs are not exactly "flying".  The progress seems small, but it is coming along.  Re-reading about some of the pro athletes that have mfx done and not getting back to the game for 9 months, makes me feel better, because usually those guys with all their fancy equipment, PTs, masseuses, etc etc get back to the game sooner than you and I can walk around the block.

Went swimming today...30 minutes in the pool...I traded off 6 laps swimming to 2 laps walking (high stepping).  I tried a couple of laps on my back, just gently kicking, but after 1 1/2 laps the knee said, NAH AH!  So instead of being the "more is better" person I usually am, I stopped, walked a little more and then went and burned my butt in the steam room! (It's cold here, and that hot air feels, oh so good).

Glad you had a restful Thanksgiving, hope your dad enjoyed his Black Friday shop and breakfast. Oh, too bad about the delay on Tuesday.  I hate having to sit in traffic...worse yet knowing you're heading for a surgery.

Your attitude sounds good and positive, just what you need. I'm convinced that attitude plays a huge role in a surgery. I'm learning to let go of the blame game, or the right/wrong attitude thing.  I used to blame, or try to find the blame for the bummed knee, but ya know....there is no right, there is no wrong, it just is...... It's helped me to look forward instead of back.

Hope you have a good weekend, get plenty of rest and will be raring to go next Tuesday!  I'll be thinking about ya.......drop a line when you can.......

marjan

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »
Hi Marjan,

Glad your Black Friday shopping went well.  I'm part way through an afghan and just got asked to make 14 pairs of mittens for some fifth graders.  That should help keep me busy this week.

Made the return trip and took my Dad home yesterday.  Thank God for few cops being out.  It's about 160 miles each way and I made it in 5 1/2 hours round trip.

Prep is pretty much done.  I have the beds changed, laundry caught up and a couple of meals made ahead and stuck in the freezer.

Black Friday included a stop or two for me while I invested in a couple of oversized sweats to leave room for the brace.  OS said I could return to work next Monday.  I work in an office setting, mostly with no public access so if I have to wear sweats I can get away with it.  The real issue is going to be getting into the car.  The OS said I would have 20 degrees of flex in the brace but that isn't much and I drive a small car.

I'm impressed with your progress.  After 2 months of PT my guy would only let me set the resistance at 2.   I think I made up for it with speed as I could get 5 miles done in a little more than 15 minutes.  Of course that would get me yelled at.  He just wanted the bike to heat up the muscle to make it easier to work.

Reality is setting in and the nerves are on peak alert.  But like you I'm a realist.  It is what it is.

Have a great day, snow/rain predicted for our area later in the day.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 03:05:58 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
320 miles in 5 1/2 hours???  girl, you belong on the WEST side of the Rockies, where the open road demands that kind of performance!  WOOHOO!!  You understand, of course, that after your mfx surgery you'll be more "leadfooted" than usual! ;)

Wow, an afghan and 14 pairs of mittens, that's really ambitious.  What kind of mittens do you make? Do you put both on the same needle?  Are you a circular needle woman or straights?  Either way, you have your work cut out for you!

I went swimming again today, and I think it does my muscles a world of good.  I can't really kick strongly with "mr gimpy" but I do manage to motor around the pool for about a half hour.  I tried just kicking a little bit while hanging onto a kickboard, but not only was I not going anywhere, but the little movement I made was in a circle! :o  So, I'm just sticking to some "high stepping" walking and just plain freestyle.  Feels good though. Funny story; the PT I used to go to years ago is located at this gym, nice gal, but no fire and experience to get me better, if you know what I mean.  Well, I've been concerned about running into her and sure enough today I did.  It's a small town here and if she knew that I'd had surgery, I think she'd be pretty upset that I didn't come to her.  She saw me as I was coming out of the pool, so I put on my best "I can walk like a normal person, while holding the towel mostly over my non-existent quad" routine.  Luckily, she was absorbed enough in her just completed workout that I was there, but pretty much invisible. She did ask how my knee was holding up after all these years....to which I answered, well I'll always be working on it.  Fair enough, wouldn't you say? She then said I was looking good (I have lost a bunch of weight for this knee), but I couldn't help thinking, "Honey, if you only knew how I'm scared I'm going to fall on this wet cement while I'm trying to look normal for you".  All in all, I got a pretty good giggle out of it later.  I really don't have anyone to tell, but another knee person who could understand!

I can understand your nerves, but do look at it from another view too.  Every time you hurt and cringe.....you know you needed to do something. And while we both know there are no guarantees, you are taking a decisive step (pardon the pun) towards treating this issue the best way the medical field knows how to. You seem to be an active person with a good work ethic that will get you through this rehab.  You have goals (I hear that kayak calling) and things to look forward to (going up/down stairs without feeling like you were just shot in the knee).

So, have you entered the phase yet where your knee is "just fine"?  Why am I doing this????  Hang in there......

Hope you get a chance to post, or have someone post here how you're doing after your surgery....I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday!!!!

Take care,

marjan  ( who will be watching for speeding cars with NH license plates!)

support