Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Marine with torn ACL -help-  (Read 1707 times)

Offline tannerweisz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Marine with torn ACL -help-
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:04 PM »
I just got back from a doc's appointment where they basicly handed me a piece of paper and said... Yep.. thats what's wrong with you... and that was it... I'm hoping that someone that has a little more knowledge of this kind of injury could help me out and give me a little more explination as to what exactly is wrong and what are the possiblities of treatment (surgery, physical Therapy)

Here's exactly what they said,

"There is a complete subacute tear of the ACL, with peripheral vertically oriented tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. There are associated contusions of both the medial and lateral femoral condyles and tibial plateau. A modest sized join effusion is also present. A thickened medial plica is present. a small baker's cyst is present."

The biggest question I have is, what is a Complete Subacute Tear of the ACL. That sounds bad but thats probly just because I don't know a whole lot about medical terms.

If anyone could help explain this stuff to me I'd really appriciate it.

Offline powdergirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Marine with torn ACL -help-
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:01:50 AM »
I looked up "subacute" in an online medical dictionary and it looks like it's about when the injury happened.  Acute means it happened very recently.  Chronic means it happened quite a while ago.  Subacute is in the middle somewhere.

"Complete...tear of the ACL" means you are now missing one of the major ligaments that stabilizes your knee.  It will not heal on its own.  If you want to play contact sports or sports that involve quick changes of direction (tennis, skiing) you will want to have surgery to reconstruct it.   If you want to avoid the surgery you would go to physical therapy, strengthen your leg muscles and would probably be fine for normal daily activity but for exercise might have to limit yourself to activities like cycling or jogging.  The forum here called Cruciate Ligaments has a lot more information.

"tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus" is an injury to the shock absorbing cartilage of the knee.  It might cause problems such as catching or locking of the knee, or you might find you can live with it.  Some meniscus tears can be repaired surgically or sometimes the damaged part has to be removed.  There's a meniscus forum here with people who know a whole lot more than me.

"contusions of the...condyles and tibial plateau" means bruises to cartilage and bone and are normal things to happen to people who tear their ACLs.  They may mean you have a higher risk of arthritis in the future.  "joint effusion" means "swelling".  "thickened medial plica" and "baker's cyst" are a couple of minor abnormalities the radiologist noticed that may be leftovers from previous injuries.