Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unsuccessful Microfracture - what next?  (Read 2659 times)

Offline mca123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unsuccessful Microfracture - what next?
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:06:37 PM »
hello all

i had microfracture done on my left knee in april this year (thigh bone). i was six weeks non-weight bearing then physio and exercise. the knee still isn't right and with the onset of the british winter (i know - after this summer how could you tell?!) has started to give out again, and is consistently painful. as if this wasn't fun enough, my right knee is beginning to show the same symptoms. i had a follow-up consultation this morning and have been referred back for an MRI on both knees in three weeks time.

so, what's next? i am a thirty-five year old woman and my surgeon said again today how surprised he was at the damage he found when he scoped my left knee back in april.

how many surgeries does it take before it's given up as a bad job and i end up going for PKR?

thank you!  :)
Left knee arthroscopy and microfracture April 2008

Lateral release both knees January 2009

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
Re: Unsuccessful Microfracture - what next?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 03:57:47 AM »
Sorry to hear that.
What is your history? Were you very sporty? Do you have an alignment issue causing the excessive wear? Prior to treating the cartilage damage usually they evaluate alignment and do boney procedures as necessary.
I'm sure its hard waiting, we all understand.
Let us know how you go.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline mca123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 08:57:56 AM »
i had a motorcycle accident at 21 where i landed hard on my left knee. i never had it checked at the time - at 21 other things get in the way..oh, the benefits of hindsight.

i took up road running about six years ago - this may well have excacerbated the problem. my father has had cartilage removed from both knees but mine seem to be all about the bone.

the surgeon yesterday was asking about any history in the family of rheumatoid arthiritis as with the weather changing all my joints are painful - not so much with the swelling tho. i've had hip problems for as long as i can remember but a GP years ago told me i'd stretched the tendons riding big motorcycles - apparently women aren't built for that sort of thing!

so i'll go for the MRI and see what happens next. apparently i'm too young for TKR but when I asked about partial the response was "we'll get there eventually". so why not just do it now?  ???

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 08:23:21 AM »
The microfracture that i had in oct 2006 did not work.  I am now 39 and the arthritis was such that apparently my knee had about 2 years of life (if i was lucky) left in it.  I am very active.

I had OATS/MOSAICPLASTY in June this year and although it is too soon yet to say how successful it has been signs are good.  I was told that at 38/9 there was now way i would be considered for a new knee, so this is suposed to be my new knee for now.  We will see in time.  I could not have carried on until the age of 45 where i would be considered privately and nor should you.  There are provedures out there that can be done and i hope that your OS finds them and offers you the best solution for your knee.

My GP had no knowledge of this procedure and i guess he will now because my OS is great at keeping him informed via letter with precisly what going on.

Lisa
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline mca123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Unsuccessful Microfracture - UPDATE!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:01:35 PM »
well, I saw my surgeon today for a follow up from the MRI I had on both knees the week before last. It seems the microfracture is doing ok, but there are other areas of degeneration on that side. Both patellas are tracking wrong which is why I am having pain in my right knee also - the pressure is starting to wear away my femur.

Upshot being that I am scheduled in for a lateral release on both knees in the New Year.

Any advice on what this entails (is it keyhole?) and what sort of recuperation I'm heading for would be gratefully received....

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 04:50:46 PM »
it is usually done through keyhole surgery.  I would read some of the other threads in the ither sections where you will be able to find lots of info on lateral release........theres lots of people who post here who have had that. My friend had one earlier in the year and was back to almost full activity levels in a month...........but everyone is different.............

If i was you i would plough through the info here on the board as it will undoubtably help you.

Lisa
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 06:22:29 AM »
There is alot of info on the KG boards on the lateral release, but it most certainly not a month. I had both knees done same time and it was a year until I was teaching aerobics again. Yes it is arthroscopic. But it is now sometimes considered a controversial procedure so would really take good care that it is indicated in your case. Have your alignment evaluated thoroughly. Some people on KG have had very poor results from lateral releases and then had to have them corrected. You can also look at the site www.patellamd.com (I think it is) where he doesn't believe in them, he does them but repairs it right away.
Good luck to you and let us know.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together