Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: No Inflammation and No Pain: ACL, MCL Injury ?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Tennis-Player

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
No Inflammation and No Pain: ACL, MCL Injury ?
« on: September 21, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »
Hi,

I was playing tennis and jumped to hit my opponent's lob shot. I am not sure if it happened midair or while I came down, but I landed horribly wrong, twisted my knee and fell to the ground.

I got up in 10-15 minutes and was able to put some weight on my left leg. There was no inflammation and I hobbled back to my car and put ice on it after getting home. I was able to elevate my leg and stretch it. Whatever little pain was there seemed to reduce over the next day ot two and I was able to place weight on my left foot and walk like usual.

4 days after this happened, I went to the Orthopedic surgeon and by this time, the pain was completely gone with absolutely NO swelling/inflammation from the start. The only knee motion that I felt was restricted was bending the knee as much as I do and I could not squat. There seems to be some tenderness on the inside of my left knee. The Orhtopedic surgeon took an X-ray to rule out fracture, twisted my leg in various directions and said I may have torn my ACL. He told me to have an MRI done.

This is what confuses me. There was no inflammation, there is no pain and I have most of my leg motion back but could it be an ACL tear ? From what I gather ACL tears are accompanied by severe inflammation and intense pain. I did not experience any of these symptoms.

Well, I had my MRI done and am awaiting the report which should be out in a couple of days. I thought the group may be interested in the ongoing diagnosis and if they have any comments on this.

Comments ??

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
Re: No Inflammation and No Pain: ACL, MCL Injury ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:48 AM »
It seems to depend on a few factors.  I was a gymnast with a lot of muscle mass.  I tore mine and still spent the next 18 months in the gym...no swelling or anything.  They said they thought that a lot of it had to do with the amount of mucsle mass I had.  I am not sure how.

It could also be a partial tear...One of the girls I coached had a partial tear and never knew it until she broke her leg and need surgery.  That is when the surgeon saw the torn ligament.

***Please note neither my injury or the broken leg happen in the gym.***
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline chrislowe3231

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:03:56 PM »
Hey mate,

I've had the same sort of problem as you, and am in the process of getting it sorted now.

DO NOT carry on as normal and start doing sports again. This is what i done when i thought everything was fine and i was just turning and BANG, my knee felt like it went under me, and now it is worse than ever.

But, you are in a great situation, as you have had your mri already, so wait till the results come back from there, and you will know exactly what u have done.....( i have got to wait another 5 weeks for mine!  :(
August 2008: Ruptured ACL, lateral meniscus tear

August 2009: Hamstring graft to repair ACL, removed Laterel Meniscus.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:13:09 PM »
Did you hear or feel that infamous POP? If so, it could very well be ACL. Pain inside the knee where you describe sounds like a meniscus tear or it could be pain from where the ACL detached from the bone. I did my ACL and had very little swelling. In fact if you looked at my knee when I went for my xray you would have sworn I was faking but I had some major damage inside that only an arthrosope would fully diagnose (eventually). Usually a lachman's test will diagnose an ACL tear even better than an MRI can. My doc said ACL before I had the MRI, the MRI just confirms the doc's diagnosis better.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Tennis-Player

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:39:21 AM »
Thanks for the input...

Well the MRI results were in and the verdict --- Complete ACL Rupture...

I must comment that I just cannot tell that I had this injury 10 days back. I can walk as usual and can do Yoga exercises as usual.

So members of this forum may want to watch out. There can be complete ACL rupture without the infamous "pop", without inflammation or without pain beyond a few hours.

Well now is the time for some thinking. I have an appointment with the DOC next week so lets see what he has to say..

will keep you all posted 

Offline chrislowe3231

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:58 AM »
WOW.....i aint looking forward to my appointment now as i have all the same symtons as yours!!

Well, i hope all gets better, do you feell no pain whatsoever? how about when you hyperextend your leg, does it ever feel like its about to give way?

Would really like to hear more, and what is going to happen with reagrds to surgery/rehab.

Hope all gets better.

August 2008: Ruptured ACL, lateral meniscus tear

August 2009: Hamstring graft to repair ACL, removed Laterel Meniscus.

Offline megaloko

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 03:06:30 AM »
Hello,

I got the results frm my MRI and it shows partial tear of my ACL, a sprained MCL and some sort of meniscus torn. I went back to playing football and I noticed my right knee it's been getting better. I can run and jump and pretty much everything normal. I visited the orthopaedic and told me that if i wanted to go back and play normally I should get surgery. So here's my question.  Can you tear your ACL without injuring other ligaments? Also, the doctor mentioned that my ACL is not totally torn and I don't have any inestability. Any comments on that?

support