Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mysterious Back of Knee/Hamstring Pain  (Read 1477 times)

Offline PalAl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mysterious Back of Knee/Hamstring Pain
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
I have a dull but constant ache that feels a bit like a pull behind and at the top of my left knee that won't go away.  It feels like it comes from the tendon toward the lower, inner back of my thigh down through the back inner side of my knee.  Sometimes, it seems to then wrap around the inner side of the knee.  I am a fairly flexible yoga person, and the poses that seems to aggravate it are extensions (where I bend over my legs) and standing, bending forward with my legs wide apart.  It's not sharp, it's not swollen--it's just a regular dull ache that doesn't seem to go away.  Is this considered a knee pain issue or a hamstring one?  I can't tell, and my GP hasn't anything to offer outside of rest and ice.  I am getting frustrated--it's been several weeks now.  Any advice is welcome.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Mysterious Back of Knee/Hamstring Pain
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »
It sounds like what I had when I first went WBAT.  Mine was just muscle issues and my PT gave me some exercises that helped.  If after resting and icing for a week or two and its not better it might be worth visiting a sports medicine/dance medicine physical therapist to see if they can help.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline Shamby66

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »
It sounds like what I had when I first went WBAT.  Mine was just muscle issues and my PT gave me some exercises that helped.  If after resting and icing for a week or two and its not better it might be worth visiting a sports medicine/dance medicine physical therapist to see if they can help.
I had a few surgeries of my medial side of my left knee.  After the 3rd surgery i had the same issue with the pain in the back of my knee.  I finally had the doctor check it out and he sent me in for an mri.  When i did a follow up with him for the results he had told me there was nothing going on.  I still have the pain when i bend or doing anything physical.

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 07:51:47 AM »
I have the same thing that is sometimes in the lateral calf, back of knee sometimes, and sometimes hamstring. My Dr. thinks its tendonitis and an overuse issue.  So I am trying out PRP(platelet rich plasma) injections. I can take as many as 4 separate injections. I have gotten two so far. It has helped but I am still in a lot of pain. The injections however are not supposed to be a quick fix as they stimulate the healing of the tendon.

support