Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee arthroscopy - after op problems!! Please help ASAP!!  (Read 1011 times)

Offline SUPERCHARL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee arthroscopy - after op problems!! Please help ASAP!!
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
Hey,
I'm new to this forum so not quite sure if I'm doing this right atm.  My Dad had the mentioned op around ten days ago.  He's been suffering with tingling in his leg and does since he's been home.  He's started on his exercises given to him by the physio  and can do most of them apart from bending it back.  Recently he's had cold sensations down his shin and foot and is finding his muscles and joints to be real tight.  I'm not an expert in this field but I've done sports science and something tells me its not normal to be having this!!  IF anybody has any advice or has had these symptoms then I'd be grateful to hear from you asap as our doctors aren't much cop to get hold of!

Thanks

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: knee arthroscopy - after op problems!! Please help ASAP!!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:15:58 PM »
I'm no doc, but I had surgery 12 days ago and my foot is cold and tingly right now. It takes a while for that to pass and for full range of motion (bending foot back) to return. He seems to be on track but I am no doctor. So long as he has no pain in his calf. If he were to get pain in the calf he would have to call his surgeon to let him know. A cold tingly foot is pretty much normal when you have knee surgery. Unpleasant, but normal. ;)
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 04:54:31 PM »
You don't mention what your dad had done to his knee. Arthroscopic surgery is just the name of the technique they used. It does nothing to explain what sort of work was done when they were in his knee. At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. They use a tourniquet to stop the blood flow during surgery and that can cause some numbness or tingling for a while. On top of that nerves can get tweaked as well. It all passes with time. If it gets worse he needs to call his doctor, otherwise he can probably wait it out.

Offline SUPERCHARL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:33:57 PM »
sorry, all I know is that he had some cartliage removed

Offline leslest

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:56:16 PM »
I would agree with jathib, it is a strong possibility that  tourniquet has pressed on one of the nerves and caused this problem.There is a large one at the back of the leg and this frequently gets pinched. It will get better with time if this is the case. ;)