Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Just looking for some opinions...  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Sassyali

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Just looking for some opinions...
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:06:44 AM »
Hi there. I just wanted to see what others who have had this same surgery have experienced. After years of pain and dislocations I'm finally having surgery. I'm having a Left knee scope, ttt, medial imbri. vs MPFL reconstruction lateral facetectomy. So on October 6th, it's finally being done.
I've read a lot of what everyone else has experienced and it's been super helpful. I'm still really nervous about the whole thing.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Just looking for some opinions...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »
Haven had those surgeries, but a slew of my own! Just wanted to say welcome. I'm sure there are others who will write you to encourage you with their personal experiences. I bet you are anxious but also excited to finally get it fixed! I'll look for your progresses here if you care to record them in a post op diary. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and will be rehabbing the same time as you so I'll look for you. Take care and all the best,
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Sassyali

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:59:53 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been reading a lot of the post-op diaries. They've been very helpful. I'll probably start my own toward the end of the week.
Thanks again.

Alicia

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 12:19:49 AM »
Hi Sassyali,
Good for you to be on your way to finding some relief.  How old were you when you started to dislocate?  Does this happen with both knees?  I am the mom of a 15 yr. old boy who has had sublux. probs starting a year ago.  He can't have TTT due to open growth plates. 
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline Sassyali

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:57:37 PM »
Hey there Diggersmom! Yeah, my first dislocation was of my left knee when I was 13. Then it happened a couple times over the years, but with in the last 2-3 years it has gotten really bad. My left would just do it on it's own... walking down the street and I'd just fall down. I hate it! So I'm hoping this will help with my stability. It's happened to my right knee a few times, but nothing compared to my left.

That's no good about your son. How long do they want him to wait?

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:01:03 AM »
Sounds like you must have a good doctor to do all those complicated procedures together. Where are you located (if you want to tell us).
Also have you had surgeries before? If not this sounds rather large so perhaps be ready.
Take good care and let us know.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline Sassyali

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »
FomerlyActive-
I live in Minneapolis, MN. I've had many problems over the years and seen NUMEROUS Orthos. None of which, until now, have actually seemed confident in what they thought my plan of action should be. So when I finally found a Doc that was not wishy-washy I knew this is what I need done. My problem is I've had so many dislocations over the years that I have NO cartilage left in my knee so I have all ready developed arthritis in my knees. I also have a giant bone spur that catches on my femur on the outer edge of my patella, so they are going to shave that down too.

I've never had any other surgeries before, so I think that is why I'm so nervous now.
Thanks for the well wishes.

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
Hi there, yes surgery is going to be painful, but we always have to go through tough things to get a good result in any area of life.  You will be okay.  Reading through many of these threads you will learn the important things to remember like taking your pain meds before you start to feel the pain...staying on top of the pain as most people call it.  Also using ice religously, on 20 min. off 20 min.  Keeping your leg elevated above your heart to reduce swelling, and doing your exercises afterward, ankle pumps, etc.  Most of all staying positive and surrounding yourself with positive people.  My son cannot have surgery until his growth plates close and who knows when that will be. He is 15 now.  Well, keep positive and we will be here for you! ;)
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline Sassyali

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 07:26:15 AM »
Diggersmom~
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been looking at this site on and off over the last few months. (Actually quite glued to it the last week. Lol) Everyone's advice has been really helpful. It's just 2 days away. I know everything will be fine.
Thanks again. I hope everything grows quickly for your son!

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »
Hi Sassyali

Haven't had any of those surgeries myself but have had 4 ops on my left knee in total so know how nervous you must be feeling right now.  That's fine to be nervous but you will be in good hands and hey will look after you.

I also love the area where you live. I spent 2 summers at a summer camp in Wisconsin, and much time with friends in your area aferwards as well as 2 Christmas's there too.  (they live in Stillwater).  And the only 2 American Football matches i have been to are the Vikings.

Good luck for the sixth and i will be reading how you are afterwards.

Lisa
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline Sassyali

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 09:19:53 AM »
Hey Lisa!
You know after looking at this site I'm not as nervous as I should be.... I think. Who knows tomorrow it might be a different subject. Lol
What surgeries have you had?

I love Minnesota myself, I'd rather deal with out the winters but what can I do ya know.
Where do you live?

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 11:36:48 AM »
Hi there

I have had 2 arthroscopys, one ACL reconstruction (which wasnt' done correctly), and mosaicplasty with a big cut in June.  (there are some pics you can link to on my diary - all i can say is that my surgeons mum taught him to sew well.)

I am still off sick from work 14 weeks later but never mind i will be going back soon.

I am from Peterborough in the UK.  It's nearly always cold here but nothing like your winters.  If it snows here the country seems to come to a standstill.

Lis1 is my diary.

Lisa
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline Sassyali

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 04:44:21 AM »
Hey there all. I'm just wondering how to send personal messages. FormerlyActive I got your message. I just don't know how to write back.
Thanks

Leesha

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 08:06:18 AM »
Leesha

You can reply to personal messages once you have had 20 posts..........if you want to get to that nore quickly then the games will get you there.

Lisa
Mosaicpasty june 2008

support