Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can you help?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Perry72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can you help?
« on: September 28, 2008, 11:59:41 PM »
Hi

Two weeks ago I ran my first half marathon and after 7/8 miles I started to feel my right knee stiffening up, I was determined to complete the run without stopping and under 2 hours, which I achieved and felt very proud and raised plenty of money for my chosen charity. My knee has been hurting me since, I've rested it for two weeks , plenty of ice and painkillers but it is still aching all over. There is a pain on the right side of my knee and throughout the day I feel a warm sensation in my knee. I have full movement in knee and the pain seems to be intermitant so I'm confused but want to start running and playing football again. I broke my tibia in my right leg 8 years ago but have never suffered any knee injuries before. Can anyone offer any advise? Is it best to visit my doctor (who also ran in the same marsathon so should be sympethic towards me). My knee generally seems to be aching all over but the initial pain was in the right side.

Offline Skinnycatz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • The Best Skinny Cat ever!
Re: Can you help?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:44:05 AM »
I don't know who your doctor is...but I would see an OS who specializes in knees and get an MRI so you can find out exactly what is wrong.  Sometimes and MRI won't show everything but you can definitely see a lot with them so I think that would be worth it....especially since you are still hurting and have rested.  Aching all over sounds like chondromalacia but you need to find out for sure.  Any symptoms before the run?

Francine
Diagnosis: CMP, torn lateral meniscus.
Meniscus trimming, chrondroplasty 2/14/03.
Meniscus trimming (lateral again) chrondoplasty 8/3/07
Grade III/IV Chrondomalacia kneecap
Meniscus trimming (tear in front of lateral) 4/18/08
Left TKR 7/15/10

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Can you help?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
Go see an OS and get some good x-rays and MRI.  With the two and a good physical exam you should get a diagnosis.  To me is sounds like you may have IT band syndrome.  I get it frequently, it's darn painful and the knee feels stiff, and sometimes the pain travels right up the side of the leg to the hip.  Most often it hurts at the knee right about where the femur ends and sometimes to the fibula.  This band and get tight and rub against the outside of the knee with every stride or step you take.  It a bear to finally get over and requires lots of patience and stretching.

Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

support