Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hip replacement question  (Read 834 times)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Hip replacement question
« on: September 28, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »
Hi all,
This question is a long shot, its been posted over on healthboards.com but no response, thought I may try here as I know some people here are familiar with hip replacements...

A friends mum had a total hip replacement 9 months ago. From immediately after surgery she reported less pain but a feeling of heaviness in the new hip. Its a metal prosthesis. Initially the OS said that it was just her body adjusting to new hip. She had a long slow recovery (had had a LOT of pain before operation, lost a lot of muscle and was on long public waiting list so spent almost a year incapacitated before operation).
Did all her physio as prescribed, slowly recovered enough to be out walking, returned to work.
However, this heavy feeling persists. She is worn out from it, says it feels like there is a brick strapped to her leg. There is some pain also. OS seems stumped. Most recently she went for a follow up appointment and he claimed he didnt know what it was but could be Bursitis and arranged for cortisone injection, she had less pain after the injection but heavy feeling persists.
She is now planning a second opinion - she just believed original OS for a long time and expected heavy feeling to resolve itself but it has not and if anything its become worse with time.

Has anyone ever heard of this or have any ideas what it could be?

I know its a long shot asking a hip question on kneeguru but Im just hoping with all the orthopediac knowledge floating around here someone might have some insight!!
Thanks all!!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Hip replacement question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »
Does she have her muscle strength back?  After a year of being incapacitated, I'd think one could become very deconditioned,  How old is she?

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Hip replacement question
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:05:01 PM »
She is 62, had done all her initial physiotherapy and physio referred her back to OS because she felt that muscles were doing ok. After complaining of the heavy feeling 6 months after surgery she was sent back to physio but the physio feels her muscles are in good shape now. She always kept up the home exercises even in the period between initial and next bout of physiotherapy. Initially she managed to get up to walking for 40 minutes twice a day, but as time passed the heavy feeling just continued and it wears her out (I suppose like ongoing pain would) and now while she can physically walk, the feeling of heaviness is too off putting for her to continue until something changes. The physiotherapist referred her back to OS, he says her muscles are ok, he doesnt seem to have an answer on the heavy feeling.

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app