Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: where to start?  (Read 879 times)

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • They sed this wouldnt last, well there wrong!!!!!!
where to start?
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:59:48 AM »
while at work i was walking to open the door and bam slipped and fell but i didnt fall on my knee, it got really red and swollen and bruised on the side i immediately sat down and iced it. so when i went the os he took xrays and said it was tore cartilage. ??? :o

i was told by my os that i have articular cartilage damage in my left knee because it catches even though the mri and xrays said nothing. i was wondering i cant see my os until oct 27, what should i do until then, as of right now i can barely put weight on it without it hurting,i do R.I.C.E  and i take anitiflamatory(sp?) meds. i aslo often wake up in the middle of the night because my knee catches. i work all weekend 8.5 hour shifts i go to school full -time. well anyone who has input it would be greatly appericated. also my os says the only thing that will fix it is surgery,anyone have any advice, and info on what would happen.  i also ride a stationary bike 2-3x a week :-\ iam stuck please help! anyone who replies thank you so much in advance

p.s bracing doesnt help, should i even be walking on it? when i walk it is hard for me to completely straighten my knee :o

-heather from mass
*25 years old
* right scope aug 16-plica removal-sheet
* left scope dec 18-lateral release and plica removal,partial synovectomy,and debridement
 2 cortisone shots
*left scope sept 13-ttt,and lateral release,well see what else? And placed 2 screws

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: where to start?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »
Firstly an MRI scan is not 100% in showing meniscus tears so there could be a tear there that is simply not showing. X-Rays never show any soft tissue damage so for the diagnosis of soft tissue injuries they are not much use. They do show if there are any bone chips in the joint though as a traumatic tear of soft tissue can pull bits of bone off the main structures.

Your OS is trying a conservative approach first - be grateful many are so knife happy they tear straight in and sometimes do unnecessary work in order to justify the costs.

Talk to your physiotherapist about the pain and if you get no joy there try and get an appointment earlier with your OS. If you are not confident is there any reason why you cannot get a 2nd opinion. If you are not having PT then call your OS and try and get an earlier consultation. BTW maybe the stationary bike is not a good idea if you still have pain and swelling - don't work through pain that gets worse if you try. If it is helping then maybe you should use it every day with low resistance and high RPM if you can. I ride mine for 10 minutes several times a day rather than single long intensive sessions 2/3 times a week.

As you were injured at work you should have coverage for any costs from Worker's Comp shouldn't you? Even part-time workers are protected by this.

Good luck - and maybe post in the Meniscus section to get more help and information
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

support