Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: persistant knee pain 2+ years, need help understanding..  (Read 1071 times)

Offline asdf29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
persistant knee pain 2+ years, need help understanding..
« on: September 27, 2008, 07:22:13 AM »
Hello,

I just found this site. Never have I needed some information or understanding like I do now.

This will be a confusing mess of complaints, maybe someone out there is in a mood to read...?

---------------------

I am 30, male. 6', 155lbs. Tall and skinny. I have wide hips (for a guy, family trait). I have unusually high foot arches. Long legs. I have never been a runner, or into organized sports. 

I developed some chronic knee pain (both knees) a few years ago. I kind of ignored the pain, and wrote it off to all the stress in my life. I have an artistic personality, my life is very odd, and I rarely relax. I am constantly sitting down only to get up and rush around from one task to another. Work Work Work.

But the pain kept getting worse. I would defy the pain by walking constantly, to clear my head.

Pain keeps going. Fast forward to this year, and I finally get to a doctor who suspects patellofemoral pain. I see a therapist who recommends a set of small exercises. I do them religiously for months.

I can't afford repeat visits. The pain hasn't gone away, but it is sort of at a plateau. It is seeping into my psyche! I am unable to relax! Watching movies, all I can feel are tight hamstrings!

I have to put shoes on 1st thing in the morning, walking barefoot makes my knees ache.

All day I look at people standing idle. I pretend that I can just "stand idle" without feeling my knees ache.

Have I gone OCD on this, or has anyone else been driven crazy like me?

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: persistant knee pain 2+ years, need help understanding..
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 11:59:53 AM »
hi,
you need to go to an OS and push for a proper diagnosis. If one doc said patellafemoral pain and therapy didnt fix it then get back to doc and explain that pain is no better so whats next?
If you dont make noise about your own health then no one else will, my experiences have thought me you have to go and make a lot of noise, dont rest until you have answers, there are answers out there, you just have to find a doctor to diagnose you correctly. Insist on investigations and examinations, insist on getting to the bottom of this, just keep making noise.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:43:59 AM »
I agree with tanyap, see an OS.  You may have patellafemoral pain, but for goodness sake you could have told the doc that.  All that means is you have some pain by, in, or around your kneecaps.  Your anatomy can be causing your problems, but get an OS to give you a real answer.  Chondromalacia patella is not a diagnosis either so if they give you that, see someone else or push for a better answer.  All that chondromalacia means is that you have softing cartilage.  It does not answer the why.  Good luck.  Don't feel bad pressing a doc for an answer.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline asdf29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:46:47 AM »
Thanks. Yes, I'm going back to the Doctor.

For the longest, I just didn't understand my own problem, wrote it off to stress and anxiety.

I may re-post this question as it's own thread, but I am wondering if anyone else MUST wear shoes to stave off immediate knee pain? If I walk around barefoot, it hurts immediately.

Guess that's an arch support issue.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »
You can have your gait assessed to see where you are putting pressure in the wrong places, it could be you need to wear orthotics. I am also more comfortable in shoes than barefoot, but I dont get pain like you describe, I just feel more 'awkward' barefoot.

You need to push this hard with a doctor. Dont take any rubbish for an answer, this is having a big effect on your life, so get it diagnosed.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app