Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Baker's cyst developed after surgery, wasn't there before  (Read 1075 times)

Offline badknees7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Baker's cyst developed after surgery, wasn't there before
« on: September 26, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
What does it mean if you develop a (Baker's) "cyst" in the back of your knee after a knee surgery?

My doctor is confusing me. I had a knee surgery approximately 5 months ago (removed about 1/3rd of the lateral meniscus and performed a lateral retinacular release). I went through therapy. The front part of the knee seems to slowly be healing (apart from some arthritis), however, the back of the knee is still swollen and gets sore. It causes some stiffness, but I have no problems walking. He says there's a cyst in the back of the knee caused by the surgery. He didn't specifically call it a Baker's cyst, and his explanation seemed kind of vague. I asked questions, but I'm still unclear.

As far as I can tell, a Baker's cyst should be a symptom of knee problems, not a result of the surgery used to correct those problems. Like I said, I am confused by his explanation. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions, but his prognosis was vague. He said he didn't want to remove the cyst, and it seems like he's sort of taking a wait and see approach. I am getting impatient with this approach because it prevents me from exercising. Even towards the end of physical therapy, the back of the knee would swell up, stiffen, and hurt after certain exercises. My therapist didn't seem to think that this was normal.

I briefly talked to a young orthopedic surgeon at a party and he suggested that the doctor "didn't get everything out." I'm debating now whether I should go see a different doctor for a different opinion.

Thanks,

Marc

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Baker's cyst developed after surgery, wasn't there before
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »
The bakers cyst more than likely is because of pt.  It will eventually go down or away.  They are really more of a nuisance than anything.  The os might want to aspirate (poke a needle in and drain the thing) if it continues to be a bother.  That totally sounds like it would hurt but it does not at all.  Do not allow anyone to "operate" on it if indeed it is a baker's cyst.  That could only lead to more issues later on.  Again assuming it is a bakers cyst.  It could and will take time for it to go down. 

support