Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR post-op Day 27  (Read 6735 times)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
TKR post-op Day 27
« on: August 10, 2003, 02:31:34 PM »
Hi!

I will be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow.  With my other tkr, I was riding a bike the correct way, taking steps on my own, had over 100 degrees flexion, extension was great and had cut back on pain meds considerably.  

Not true with this one.  I got the pedals on the bike to go all of the way around in a backwards motion Friday after trying for over 10 minutes--and let out a blood curdling yelp as I felt all kinds of ugly in my knee as I forced the issue (with the urging and insistence of my pt).  I cannot take any steps without my crutches--wobble and have balance problems when I stand.  My flexion did make a nice gain to 92 this past week and I lost ground on my extension, now at -23.  I am still taking pain meds every 3 hours and continue to ice my knee and ankle for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off round the clock.

This is giving me an emotional beating as well--playing phone tag with my os is stressful.  Having my 5 year old look at me yesterday when I was trying to fix him an egg for breakfast and say "But can you cook Mommy?" was a boatload of upset for me--I used to do allof the cooking here but have done little to none since the time of my first tkr because of this right knee.  I cannot walk and carry my own ice safely and have to get rides from others, which seems to be getting on their nerves.  I am having trouble to focus on much--pain meds I assume and pain--and so I'm not finishing anything.  My house needs my touch to it, but I'm the only one who cares about that.  And somebody I do not know is doing my job right now--and I am not even comfortable in my job because it is new to me this year.  There is a stranger who is creating a classroom climate for me and that takes me out of the picture there too.

I guess the going words for me now are--frustrated and hurting.  I'm expecting a shift this week.  If I don't get to talk to my ortho, I have an appointment on Thursday.  I only have two more pt sessions before then.  The tide MUST turn this week.

Sylvia    
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

ARC

Re: TKR post-op Day 27
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 05:00:03 PM »
The TIDE WILL TURN THIS WEEK.  Sylvia, I just wanted you to know that you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, and I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time.  Please, remember I am here for you if I can be of any assistance or if you need a shoulder to cry on.
-Kolleen

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 05:57:35 PM »
Thanks Kolleen,

I guess I'm back to one moment at a time...and I'm worried that this mood today will alienate everybody in my world.  I've cried more this past week than I can remember in my life when a death wasn't involved.  My frustration level is high and getting higher--and so is my pain.  I have been awake since 4--and tried to go back to sleep--2 pain pills later and after a lotof icing and elevating--I cannot find a position to be comfortable in.  I tried just walking for some movement and it didn't help--I stumbled a few times and got my hubby a bit irritated with me.  Then I picked an argument with everybody about doing their chores--and again, got caught trying to do some of it myself by my hubby so he is frustrated with me.

I'm sick of continuous, unrelenting pain--and then doing exercises which makes it worse with no payoff.  I haven't done any exercises yet because my ankle is yelling as loudly as my knee...Grr-rr.

I apprerciate the ongoing support and help that you send.  Thanks, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline bc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 02:25:07 AM »
I empathize with you.  I actually ended up on a Fentanyl patch at about 28 weeks.  Couldn't do the therapy well enough because of the pain.  

Tried the recumbent bike and stretched back so I only reached it on tiptoe.  It's one month later and with PT my knee goes to 120, probably less on my own.  And I do 30 minutes a day on the bike. Still do not completely extend.  And, still need pain meds in late aftenoon and evening.  Actually bought an ice machine from Sears that cranks out 50 lbs of miniature cubes so I always have ice.

We have been moving all summer, carrying things up and down stairs  everyday.  Though the exercise probably helps, it does tend to cause more swelling and pain.

I know your other knee went so much better.  Just hang in there.  I was so down at about 4 weeks, and had the manipulation expecting instant results (wrong).  But now it is all finally coming together, and was definitely worth it.  I still sleep every moment I get alone, but at least I can sleep a little better.   Take care, take it easy.  A lot of us are thinking of you and wishing you well

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 05:15:45 AM »
Hi bc...

How far post-op are you?  When were you finally able to get around without crutches?  I cannot do anything because I'm absolutely dependent on my crutches to walk--can't even sneak one step by right now.

Thanks for letting me know that things will get better--this is getting really old really fast...

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 08:10:32 AM »
Sylvia,

I know you were hoping to be in better shape for the start of school, but please remember that your knee has to come first. Your future in the classroom depends on your recovery, so you have to attend to that FIRST. We need you in the classroom, so give recovery your attention for now.

I hope the tide turns even as we speak, but (just in case it doesn't just yet), please know that we are rooting for ya!

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 08:26:53 AM »
Sylvia,
  Hang in there! My OS told me that I was to sensitive to pain, when in all reality he had released my knee cap to far! But I had to wait like 8 months to get it fixed. When I finally did they had to do a medial release and not many people have had that done. Really it was like the OR staff asking me are you sure it's medial? I was like um yeah, should I be asking the questions here?
Anyways I was on crutches for 6 months, locked at zero for like 4 of those months. I was so depressed, and lonely. I couldn't drive and was so dependent on everyone. It was very hard. So, I know how you are feeling and I know that it will get better. I am planning a TTT next month and all I can think about is the loss of independence. Good luck to you sweetie and remember we are all sending happy thoughts your way....Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 03:56:50 PM »
Thanks Jillian and Liz,

I am recovering from a very pain-filled night.  I slept for maybe an hour and woke up with some kind of muscle pain in my thigh and my knee in excruciating pain.  That is not a good way to get started with a turning tide.  I was not happy--and for the first time in a while, I inadvertently woke my hubby up with the issues going on.  It is a good thing he is so patient with all of this.

I really do plan for things to improve this week and I'll share that as it happens :)

Take care, Sylvia

Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline ohiostatemel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 06:12:21 PM »
Sylvia:
I just wanted to write and let you know that I am thinking of you!  Hopefully things will turn around any moment.  
Hugs,
Mel

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 06:43:32 PM »
I was gone last week and I so hoped when I got back things would be better for you. I have been thinking of you and praying for you often.

I hope that you are better soon. I've gotten to where I pray silently quite often as I do things. I pray for my family and their problems, my knee geek friends and myself.

I want us all to find ourselves a place in this world where we can be happy and contribute. I know I'm a different person as s result of what I've been through. I don't like to speak for anyone else, but I would say it is a safe bet that we all are a kinder, more loving group of people than we were before we were hit with healyh problems. Pain makes you humble. Sorry to ramble Sylvia, but the world needs people like you to be able to contribute as much as you can. God bless you, Larry :)
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Happycructchchck

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 06:51:56 PM »
Sylvia,

Just wanted to also let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.  The tide will turn, but it just doesn't turn when we want it to (fast enough).  I know that you are struggling with everything right now and we all have those moments.  It will get better.  It is times like these that we have to notice the tiniest thing and appreciate it like we've never appreciated anything before.  

Hang in there.  You are an inspirational member of this board and I know that it will all turn around for you soon.

Paige
RT Tibial Plateau Fracture 5/6/03, 5 pins & 2 plates
Arthroscopy & Manipulation 10/10/03
ROM - Able to bend to 110 with very hard work- still a lot of pain at fracture site
ACL damage also

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 10:55:59 PM »
Hi!

You guys really make me feel better--I am so humbled by what youy have said to me.  I am so weary today after last night--and am trying to get with it with little luck today-  I'm so dreading pt and all the fun that I end up having there.    

It is my resolve to keep repeating that the tide is going to turn this week and I do believe it.  I am not happy that it may take until I see my os on Thursday, but I guess if that is the case, so be it...

Larry--thanks for those special words and I pray daily--sometimes multiple times--for my kneegeek friends too.  It does feel better than always asking for myself.  Thanks as wel Mel--hope that you are getting back on track and Paige for your sweet compliment as well.

You all will get me through this.  :D  Sylvia              
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 12:36:07 AM »
Sylvia,

PLEASE talk to your doctor--GP, OS, or therapist.  Sleeping is critical to getting better.  If you are unable to sleep because of pain, then you need to be on different and better pain meds.  Ambien is also a wonderful, gentle drug.  I was able to sleep 8 hours through the night, even stuck on my back with a CPM machine strapped to my post-op leg.

The reason you're not feeling better and are so overwhelmed is that you aren't getting the right amount of sleep, good food, and down time.  For short periods, especially after a major surgery like yours, you may need a mix of medications to get you back to your normal rhythms.  I thought it would never happen again, but I'm now sleeping THROUGH THE NIGHT again--last night I went for 9 straight hours.  It changes your outlook on life.

I don't know why no one has addressed your rampant pain and sleeplessness--are you telling the doctors about it?

Sylvia, please reach out for some of the help that you need.  You should not be suffering like this, and it could very well explain why you aren't bouncing back after this TKR like you did with the other.  Chronic pain and insomnia wear you down, so then you have no energy left to rehab.

I urge you to see a pain management clinic, there's no reason to go on like this.  I remember you saying you had a bad experience with one.  But that's just one doctor/clinic.  There are plenty of others out there.  Since your current doctors aren't concerned about the problem, once more you have to look out for number 1!  Please take care of yourself and get this matter seen to soon.  

Would you let one of your children suffer this way?  I don't think so, and there's no reason you should either.....please take care.  I really hope you begin to feel better soon.  We are all praying for you.

LOVE AND HUGS,

Heather
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 12:37:27 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 03:43:51 AM »
Hi!

I just got back from pt--and I moaned and whined and fussed, but I didn't cry oir sob or vomit--but my extension was again worse.  It is now at -25 and my flexion was better.  It was 95.  My pt says that this happens sometimes--and that it is undesireable to have my extension get worse.  He thought I was pretty stiff today and commented on the limping I'm doing because of this ankle pain.  He again tried to call my os with no luck.  (I know he is in a different town on Mondays...)  I wasn't aboe to pedal the bike all the way around today though and I did that Friday.  I am in a boatload of pain.

Heather--I've been trying to tell my os that I'm suffering and he has told me to keep taking my pain meds.  My pt is more than aware of it and has documented that he thinks a  lot of my lack of progress is due to the fact that I'm having too much pain for him to be able to do a lot with me.  I could call my pcp tomorrow--I haven't done that because I didn't want to put her in a place to cross a professiopnal line.  I can at least find out what she has to say--I took ambien once before and it did help me.

thanks for your thoughts.  As always, I think you are right on target....

:)  ;)  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline bc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 08:29:15 AM »
Hi Sylvia,
As you  remember from your earlier experience, things will get better.  

I had pain management problems for at least 6 weeks and was offered an antianxiety medication when my progress was going slowly.  Though that is a legitimate addition to help some people, at the time the only thing I was depressed and or anxious about was that my knee hurt too much to make any progress.  I never did fill the prescription and the next week my ortho never mentioned it again, but changed my pain meds to much stronger medication.  Though at first I didn't think it helped, I finally slowly began making progress.  

This is my 10th week postop (6 post manipulation).  The pain is much more controllable, though I still need some pain medication daily.  My problem last week was extreme fatigue upon return to work.  Even though I kept walking to a minimum, even standing was quite exhausting.  You know yourself best.  But the longer you can stay home and concentrate on PT, the better the return may be.

Wishing you the best.  I give you a lot of credit for having both knees done.  I am very reluctant to have my other one done for a long time

bc

support