Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chronic pain clinics  (Read 1297 times)

Offline dj2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Chronic pain clinics
« on: August 10, 2003, 09:54:41 AM »
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has been to a pain clinic for their knee/knees, and what the experience was?

dj2
03 patellar replacement  98 carticel implant 92 medial condyl/fem grove replacement, 83 TTT, 87 Patellectomy + 13 other surgeries, same knee

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Chronic pain clinics
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 02:35:18 PM »
Hi!

I got to go to one for a different issue and the nurse really wanted to have the doc treat my knees.  He hedged when he asked enouigh questions to know that I was under somebody else's care and declined to treat me.

That kind of broke my heart after I thought it was a possibility because this doc had resolved an ugly issue after my rather nasty gall bladder surgery.  It sure seemed as if he had something to offer me.  If I could get a referral like that, I'd jump at it in a second.

Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline icyfx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Okay, which one of you stole my vicodin??
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 06:49:52 AM »
I have been to one. I'm not really sure if it's the same thing though. I had to go for 8 hours a day (like a job) and do all kinds of excersis and stretches. It was weird because they would have me do things that had nothing to do with my problem. I even had to lay on the floor while the lights were off and a lady would read a book to me. It was supposed to keep my mind off my pain. 2 pain killers and a fishing mag would have been better but what can you do?
Anyways, I finally got kicked out because I could never get my leg to extend, the whole ordeal lasted a week. All in all, it's a good place to be if you are capable. A little weird but alot of fun. Hope I help ya out some with my experience.  
There are 2 things in this world that hold true.
1) My knee hurts. 2) refer to #1.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 07:51:26 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the same.  I see a pain management doctor.  So I don't do a program like others have described, but I have all my needs addressed by a medical doctor who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation.  She prescribes everything from medication to PT to acupuncture (which she does) and TENS unit to help control pain.  I wouldn't be able to live alone and work full time without her, I don't think.  I can't recommend strongly enough to see a capable, compassionate person used to dealing with chronic pain.  Most MD's and OS's do NOT specialize in this area, have very little training, and even less understanding of the issues at stake.  Often the medications that they prescribe (e.g. toradol or vicodin) are NOT for long term use and can do a lot of harm in the long run.

Once your pain is under control or at least improved, the world starts to look a lot better.  And I'm able to do more, including exercise, because of it.

Heather
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 07:52:32 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline dj2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Chronic pain clinics(long)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 06:00:26 AM »
My experience was quite a bit different then any described here.
My work comp arranged for me to go to a pain management doctor.  She was a DO.
I had to take a battery of tests, pysch, physical, health, etc. to see if I would be eligible for the program.  They don't like to take ppl they don't think will do well.  
I had to be off ALL pain meds to start the clinic.  It was 8hrs a day, for 3 weeks.
We did biofeedback, imaging, exercises, food management classes, pain classes, learn about drugs and what they can do to you and talk to the pysch nurse everyday.  We also had to have our familes come once a week for "family night" so they could learn how to deal with us.  There are never more than 4 ppl in the class.  The three I was in with were all back patients, and the program is geared for backs.  Most of the things didn't have anything to do with knees nor would they work for knees.  We were graded(yes, graded) on how much we could tolerate and how well we participated in each class.  All info and grades were sent to work comp for evaluation.  They always emphasized that we could become drug addicts if we took pain pills.  Quality of life was never really discussed.  It was a good thing if you could do without the pain pills, and really didn't matter to them if you couldn't do anything else.  I had already dealt with my knee for 18 yrs, so there wasn't much that I hadn't already tried.
The doc did put me on Celebrex, prescribed orthodics and did acupuncture.  I am sure the acupuncture is the only reason I was able to tolerate the pain and not take any other pills.
I don't feel I wasted my time going to the clinic, but the only real help I got was the Celebrex, orthodics and acupuncture.
Last year when my gp did my bloodwork, my kidneys showed that the Celebrex was damaging them.  She recommended that I talk to the pain doc and go off Celebrex and start taking pain pills again.  When I asked the pain doc about it she said would take me off the Celebrex but that she "would never write a prescription for opiates for me and that if my knee hurt that bad, I should have knee surgery, again", because she didn't think that I could possibly be in enough pain to need pain pills agaim, as knee pain wasn't "that bad".
Needless to say, I went back to my surgeon in CA(there are no docs in Western Colorado who know about what I have done or who were willing to treat me).  I have had two surgeries since then.
I talked to a woman that I know yesterday, and she said the same doc is recommending she go to the pain clinic and that the same doc is the one who writes her prescription for Oxycotin.  I guess since she has neck and back trouble she is in enough pain to warrant pain pills.  Go figure.
I just wondered what other types of clinics are out there.

dj2
03 patellar replacement  98 carticel implant 92 medial condyl/fem grove replacement, 83 TTT, 87 Patellectomy + 13 other surgeries, same knee

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 06:07:12 AM »
Hi!

I saw a pain management doc on a referral froma  genral surgeon.  He took the xrays and info from the surgeon and then examined me and came up with a treatment.

As is often the case--this doc was an anesthesiologist--and was quite caring and skilled.

Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio