Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: POST MEDIAL MENISCUS TEAR.... URGENT QUESTION THATS BOTHERING ME  (Read 5145 times)

Offline auzztin09

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
POST MEDIAL MENISCUS TEAR.... URGENT QUESTION THATS BOTHERING ME
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »
THank you all for reading this, I am just very frustrated with my recovery process.

About 3 months ago I had arthroscopic knee surgery on a bucket handle medial meniscus tear in my right knee. I was on crutches for about a week, then started walking on the drop lock brace, the one that does not let you bend you leg. I got that off about a month and a half after the surgery to start walking normally. I started doing PT to strengthen my muscles, and everything seemed to be going fine.

I am an avid basketball player and tore it landing awkwardly one night. But recently after about 14 weeks of PT I have been able to do light jogs and do jump shots. But my lateral movements are still really week. One night when I was running, I felt a very similar pop in my knee to the night I hurt it. It was a little sore in the morning, and I went to the doctor and he said I didnt tear it, but it could have been scar tissue? So he sent over to get an MRI, but I couldnt get one that day because it was so busy. That week I did the same things normally, and It popped about three more times that week. I am really worried something bad has happened.

Well since then, its been about 2 weeks, and it pops usually whenever I go running or try to shoot the basketball around. It is frustrating because I Should be close to total recovery right now, and basketball season is about 2 months away!!!!

Every time I try to work out I feel this pop, even in PT! Its a small pop deep inside my knee, and then when i straighten my knee it pops back into place and everything is fine. Im not sure what this means but it is very frustrating, and I keep doing my exercises fine but I cant seem to practice any basketball. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Offline auzztin09

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: POST MEDIAL MENISCUS TEAR.... URGENT QUESTION THATS BOTHERING ME
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 12:02:51 AM »
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS....

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 12:48:27 AM »
You didn't get the MRI that day.....but now it's a couple weeks later.  Have you had the MRI yet?  Have you scheduled it?  Your questions would be really good ones for your orthopaedist, who knows what's going on with your knee. 

~dig

Offline auzztin09

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:02:40 AM »
Nope I havent gotten the MRI. I did talk to my orthopedist, and he said there is no tear but I should get an MRI, but my family doesnt have a lot of money so I don't think I need an MRI. I already talked to him and he doesnt know what is going on, and neither does my physical therapist. But it pops, is kind of sore in the morning, and feels weak the next day. But I can still run and walk fine. What is going on with me knee? Its my senior year in high school and I need to play basketball this season!!!

Someone with ANY idea, please help me!

Offline auzztin09

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:06:00 AM »
Has there been anyone else that has had a meniscus operation that like worked too hard and felt the same thing as me? Like has your knee popped whenever you tried to work out post-surgery?

Offline Pit Deputy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
I assume that you're in the USA. I'm in the UK so we get our op's, treatments etc for free.

Regarding the popping sensation; Have you rested the knee sufficiently after the operation and done the excercises as per the therapists recommendations? Maybe you have just tried to do too much.... too soon after the op.

You have to be aware that any knee surgery will weaken the knee joint forever, so the best way is to strengthen your injured leg muscle by excercise and weights.

As you get older you will get some degree of arthritis in that joint.

Offline auzztin09

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:53:57 PM »
Yes I am in the USA. That's nice that you get that stuff for free, USA is going to hell right now.

After the operation, which was in June, I completely rested the knee, and didnt start Physical Therapy until about a week after I was supposed to, just to make sure it was rested. I have been doing PT since the beginning of August now, and my leg with the injured knee looks the same as the other leg, meaning that I have almost all my muscle back. I should be completely recovered by November, but Im paranoid about not being able to play because its my senior year. I want to make sure everything is all right. I may been trying to hard, which is the next option I am going to take - just resting it and taking it easier.

I have done all the exercises and my leg is not weak at all... Its just the inside of my knee pops whenever I try to do lateral exercises. Just wondering if anyone else had that sensation when working out, and if it ever stopped. Because if it keeps popping when I try to work out, than I cant play... it doesnt allow me to do anything. But thanks for the input.

As for the arthiritis, I have already been notified about that... sucks, but Ill deal with it when Im older, right now I just want to play my senior season.

Thanks all

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:00:47 PM »
I assume that you're in the USA. I'm in the UK so we get our op's, treatments etc for free.

Your health care is not free. It comes out of the paychecks of everyone that works. And from reading the posts here a great many people have to pay out of pocket on top of all that if they want to get their knees fixed correctly. Our system is not perfect but I've never been without insurance in 50 years.

Offline auzztin09

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »
I need to keep this on subject so I actually get help instead of everyone talking about UK's insurance on this forum, thanks!  :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
Hi,
I had bucket handle medial meniscus tear removed on May 22nd. Since then I have progressed well with PT, I had not been able to use my leg properly for 3 years prior to surgery so I have a long way to go to regain lost muscle however - regarding pops and clicks etc...
I have a new click that didnt exist before surgery, OS says ignore it. I have popping that happens behind my knee, its like tendons moving (all my joints make noise), it feels like there is a release of tension when it happens, my PT says that from compensating before the surgery my muscles are still learning to work together smoothly and there is a small muscle behind my knee (popliteus perhaps?) that is popping a bit.
I also have a variety of other pops and clicks in the knee.

Some of it may be muscle weakness. The real key to understanding a particular pop or click is this; Do you have pain/inflammation after a pop? From what you are saying you do, and it feels weak the next day, thats not good, it sounds like you are getting inflammation inside the joint. All my pops and clicks are just noise, no pain.
Is it possible you are subluxing? You may think your muscles look the same but unless you have a strength test there is no way of telling, they could be a lot weaker on the operated side.
You have only been doing PT since beginning of August? That is not long to regain lost strength at all.

What exactly does your PT say about this? Have you had your PT watch while you do lateral exercises and observe the pop? Are you possibly compensating while doing the exercises without realising? Do you have weakness in some specific area that PT needs to address? Just thinking aloud here.....

This could just be a case of needing to continue PT til you recover from the surgery - it can take anything upwards of 6 months of PT after a surgery to recover. Its still early days for you but if you feel something is seriously wrong you need to push for a diagnosis.

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 02:59:21 PM »
From what you are describing it sounds like you have cartilage derangement or damage, either meniscal or articular. It seems that popping is a flapping of a loose piece that is torn but still attached and certain movements cause it to flap back and forth. Either you retore the meniscus or your doc didn't take it down far enough and it tore worse from activity.

Not going to say much on the insurance issue, but I LOVE my private insurance even though I pay for it. I can go to any doc I want, whenever I want and get top treatment. I love the freedom of choosing what I want for myself and not being subjected to the system and what somebody deems is good for me. I hope we never have socialized health care here in the U.S. because it will totally destoy the quality of our healthcare in the long runs. If a doc is good, he deserves to get paid top dollar.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 04:31:47 PM »
I need to keep this on subject so I actually get help instead of everyone talking about UK's insurance on this forum, thanks!  :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;)

Insurance or not, there really is no way you're going to get help without first getting a diagnosis and then following whatever treatment plan your doctor sets up. All the internet can do is guess.

Offline auzztin09

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 06:01:31 PM »
After it pops, there is no inflamation and there is a very, very small ache in the morning, and it feels a little bit weak the next day. Last night I actually sat down in a chair and it popped again, so I know it doesnt happen because I am pushing it too hard.

Well, I dont remember why I said beginning of August, I have been doing PT since beginning of July, I know thats not that much more but its still a month more. Im not exactly sure what subluxing means either.

My PT doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with it, and neither does my doc, but at PT it has never popped while doing lateral exercises. Its really strange because I can run pretty fast straight forward, but then when sit down on the floor or change positions from a chair to a different chair, it is the weirdest pop. After it pops, my leg is bent and then when I straighten it, its kind of like a grinding feeling and it pops a couple little times, then at the end it feels kind of like my knee is aligning itself again. Next time it pops I will observe and see if my knee looks differently than it should while it is popped.

I dont think anything is SERIOUSLY wrong with it, and I know I didnt re-tear it, I am 100% sure I did not re-tear it. It isnt even close to how it felt the first time I tore it, I can put all my weight on the injured leg, bend, twist it, and its fine, which is what I did for the physical examination at the doctor's. So I dont know what it is, and neither does my PT or Doc. I just want to know if it is normal or anything, and if I need to take it easier or not. It could be common but I wouldnt know, thats why I am on the internet, because my PT or Doc dont know anything about it.

So I would rather take a guess from the internet from people who have had the experience themselves rather than a  blank clueless expression from my PT or Doc.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 06:30:34 PM »
Ask your PT to examine the area around the pops and check the soft tissue structures, plus to have a feel around for scar tissue. You could have some scar tissue in there thats popping about.

The only other advice I can give is to try and nail EXACTLY what movements causes the pops so you can replicate it in front of someone.
Easier said than done, I have tried and failed to replicate my current popping at PT but I was able to describe exactly the movements that cause it and bingo - she knew what it was.

Take note also of when it happens - is it after being at rest, or after exercise, or during exercise after resting, that type of thing. It took me months to really figure out exactly how mine is happening, now I can make it happen cos I know the right movements, but sometimes those movements dont produce it at all, however it never happens with other movements!!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline auzztin09

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 12:03:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for helping me with all this, btw.

I am going to PT in about a half hour so I will see what he can do, I am also going to ask him and see if I need an MRI.

I have been trying to figure out exactly what makes the popping noise, thats a great idea, but like you said I havent been able to figure it out. In PT there is a little step that I do fast steps on, then I turn sideways and kind of hop on top of and over, side to side, and thats what usually makes it pop. Also sudden weight pressures make it pop, and other really random times like when I try to sit down certain ways, but I cant put a finger on what makes it do it specifically.

What was the popping in your knee tanya? like you said your PT knew what it was.

support