Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: double bundle acl reconstruction  (Read 1042 times)

Offline lori9962

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
double bundle acl reconstruction
« on: September 18, 2008, 03:35:06 AM »
Has anyone every had a double bundle acl reconstruction?  If so, where and when did you have it done?  My 14yr old daughter has had 3 acl revisions in less than 2 years.  She just tore her 4th one a couple of weeks ago just short of 1 yr post last surgery?  We are very frustrated and looking for answers to why the grafts keep tearing.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: double bundle acl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »
I think this is a relatively new procedure. The first time I heard of it was when Tiger Woods had it done a few months ago. If I'm not mistaken he had it done in Utah. Vail maybe? I'm sure you can Google it and find his doctor's name.

Offline miss_sporty

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:04:56 PM »
hi, i had two bits of hamstring taken to make a double bundle, but i think that the one that tiger woods had involves drilling two holes and having two strands separately placed in to mimic the natural acl more effectively, not like mine where it was just putting two bits in the same tunnel. this is my understanding of it anyway, hope it helps.
Torn ACL
Hamstring graft reconstruction
Patellar tendon graft reconstruction

Offline lori9962

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:18:09 PM »
Thanks for the info.  We are looking into a dr in Pittsburg at University Pitt. Med Center.  This double bundle involves drilling four holes instead of two.  Thats what my daughter need for more stability in her knee.  The single acl revision is not enough for her.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 12:31:32 AM »
I have a double bundle made up from the sections of the semitendinosis and gracilias tendons. It is not that new a procedure it is just that many surgeons feel that a single section of graft doubled up, or even fold to give a quadruple bundle is sufficient.

I would have thought the most important thing with a 14 year old girl who has had 3 failures in 2 years would be trying to find out the reason(s) for these failures before going down the reconstruction path again. Until all the underlying difficulties are addressed surely you are just loooking at repeated surgical procedures?
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 01:08:10 AM »
Is she growing.  If she has gone through much growth she could have stretched out the graft and weakened it.   That could cause a graft to rupture. 

I had several girls I coached in gymnastics have to wait to have ACL surgery because they were still growing. 
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline johnmcc1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 05:00:57 PM »
I had an ACL double bundle about 14 months ago, i have now torn it, playing football in my firstgame back quite sole destroying. My muscles seems to wasting away in front of my eyes, am sure amny people on this board have had worse though.

It seems to be difficult to fix ie do a revision as with a double bundle as there are two holes meaning that new holes have to be drilled  according to my surgeon. At the least i will have to have an op to get rid of the screw etc and to clean it up, not sure what my knee wouldbe like I sure it would hold me back from doing everyday things, even if i give footy the boot!

I was wondering if anyone has had a double bundle revision???? was it sucessful ?

support