Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 74491 times)

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #315 on: December 09, 2008, 06:39:35 AM »
Loriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!! Welcome back!! ;D So good to hear you werent iin jail. Lol. Sounds like you have had an eventful couple of weeks. But glad everything seems to be coming along well. Thats terrific!! ;D T seems to be doing really well. Im so glad hes able to go with the team. That has to boost his spirits some. He has done really well with having 2 major surgeries back to back. And oh yeah, so have you mom....I mean doc....or is it nurse, or PT? Have you actually chosen a title?? Lol. Now it sounds like you have taken up daycare. Geesh. You never stop, do ya girl?? :o Anyways, I missed ya tons, and was gettin real worried. Its so good to see you back, alive and well, and with no warrants out on you or anything!! 8) Ill check back tomorrow. (or I guess I mean later today....I still dont know when to go to bed.)

Hang in there girl!!

DONNA ;D
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #316 on: December 09, 2008, 02:06:26 PM »
Hey ya'll..... :D 
So listen, I got so wrapped up in all you were all up to yesterday, that I compleatly lost track of time...oooooops. T had a PT appt. at 3pm, and I did not leave the house till 3. I picked him up from school.... late... got to PT.....late.... forgot his shorts..... He had braces on under his pants.... so he could only ride bike, and do minimal stuff at PT... made me mad cause I basically wasted a PT session. and at this rate it looks like I have to pay for all of them.....GRRRRRRR I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES>>> While at PT I got a call from school transportation office, saying that he will look into getting Tyler his own seat on the bus, but finds it doubtful, he could however arrange for a special needs bus to pick him up.....yea right. Like thats going to fly. Tyler said he would rather walk the 4 miles to school.... Also while at PT I got a call from tudor... asking "what am I supposed to be doing right now?" I explained we would be there in a few minutes and that he needed to get test from math teacher, all the while Tyler is telling me that he needs to skip tudoring, cause the girls basketball coach is expecting him to help with the game, and after that he needed to keep stats for the boys game..... GRRRR I was angry with T for not telling me this in advance, and feeling bad that we were wasting Tudors time.!  I drove up to the school, pushed him out the door, told him to do the right thing.... and started home, only to realize that I had forgotten to pick up my daughter from Girls on the Run! Super mom I AM NOT!
My neighbor picked her up, ( she usually does, but I always call to make sure she is going to get her...) today I did not call! BAD MOMMY!  ???   When I got home, I helped daughter with homework, studied for tests, and threw some slop together for dinner, then Tyler called to get picked up from the game.... I really hate it when my day starts to fall apart! Its like a giant snowball..... by bedtime I feel terrible, certainly unworthy of the title supermom, and all I can do is crawl under the blanket and hope to start fresh in the morning...... So here it is morning.... and what am I doing ? The same thing that got me in trouble yesterday!!!!!! :o     I have tons to do.... I really dont know where to start.... Its has been so long since I have just me here during the day that I have forgotten my NORMAL routine, and so many things that have not been done in so long that I have forgotten how to prioritize....or maybe I just dont WANT TO DO THEM>>>lol   hmmmmmmm laundry  or bathroom??? Floors or grocery shopping? Dust or dishes?    TV or COMPUTER>>>> lol   gotta run.... Ill check on you all later. I need to at least spray some air freshiner so it smells like I cleaned something today.     I hope the day finds you all well, and pain free..... Hugs  Lori :-*

Offline dimples3887

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2008, 09:13:58 PM »
Lori,

Welcome back! I tried to post this the other day but apparently got distracted by something shiney and exitted the window without hitting the post button.  You most recent post about losing track of time on here made me laugh so hard because I could relate.  I spend hours on here reading people's posts when I should be studying for finals.  So while your household may have to learn how to function without you for a few hours a day, I'm trying to cram during all nighters brought on be these posts. Haha!  Anyway, I'm glad to hear Tyler is doing well.  Since you disappeared on us a few weeks ago, I had my surgery and started a Post-Op diary.  If you catch a few extra minutes, check it out. :) 

Anyway, I hope you're having a great start to the weekend and everything is smoothing out over there.

Hear from you soon!
-Kirsten
21 yrs. old
LK: 6/02-LR(fail)
     9/05-MRI shows patella bone bruise
     12/15/05-Medial reefing, LR, patella debridement (fail)
     TTT to be scheduled after RK TTT rehab is done...
Pain, clicking, and crepitus in both knees now...
RK: 11/19/08 - TTT

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2008, 05:02:51 PM »
Hi Lori,

Just checking in.  How goes the bus battle and everything else?  Are you staying off here because you're afraid to get sucked in again?  I know the feeling.  I'm on so many different threads it takes me forever to read them all. 

Hope things have calmed down some and T is doing great!  And yes, you are still a SUPERMOM even on those crazy days when you feel like you aren't!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #319 on: December 16, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »
Hey SuperMom,

Just caught up with your news, i have been AWOL for a few weeks too, isn't it amazing how time flies when you are rushing around trying be there for everyone, can totaly sympathize with that one  :)

Glad Tyler has made it back to school, sounds like he is doing great.  ;D Watching the basketball games will be really good for him, I found watching karate gave me that extra incentive to work even harder at physio so that I could ge back to it quicker. Also he will probaly lean far more than he realises, ie learnng other players bad habits and making sure he doesn't devlop the himself and also if he is watching all the games he will see the weaknesses of the opposing teams. By the time he gets back he will be scoring baskets left right and centre!

Hey don't worry of course you are still a supermom, everybody has bad days sometimes its what makes us human.  :)

Trace x
23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #320 on: December 18, 2008, 02:40:41 AM »
Hey Lori,
Your doing great as usual.  Don't be so hard on yourself!  I have to remind myself that sometimes I waste time worrying about things that won't matter one bit when the boys are grown and gone....which is not too much longer from now....unfortunately!  I love the air freshener idea...better yet some scented candles!!  Teenagers are sooooooo trying aren't they?!  We definitely deal with a lot of the same issues.  I just wait for those moments when all that I preach actually seems to matter....those moments are few and far between, but when they come, boy are they sweet!!  Glad your back I missed you!  Hang in there,  :-*
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #321 on: December 18, 2008, 08:03:14 AM »
Lori, so sorry that I have been gone from KGs for a while.  My internet just for KG doesn't work.  I can access any other site in the world except this one sometimes.  Well it is working right now, so I figured I'd catch up on some diaries! 

It sounds like things are going well despite hectic!  That's great that Tyler is back in school and gets to travel with the basketball team.  Walking on one crutch is good, but I bet he can't wait to be done with that!!  I hope Tyler sees how much his mother did for him and worried about him during everything.  No matter a few mistakes during parenting here and there, you are super mom to all of us!!!  You did a great job helping Tyler with his recovery and getting through school at the same time.  That's so difficult.  It's too bad about the bus seat situation.  I am sure he wouldn't ever want to ride the special needs bus.  I bet that would be depressing riding with some of the disabled children...especially since T is completely coherent and aware of his surroundings. 

Well I am not sure how much you have kept up with my diary, but I just had the SCS revision surgery on Monday.  The wire is now in the right place and I am not getting sick anymore.  The knee pain has improved a lot also as long as the SCS is on!  For some reason I am still depressed, but I will get through it.  I think it's just b/c I still have so much knee pain and muscle weakness to get through.  PT should help the rest of it.  I got laid off from my job back in mid-November and still haven't come close to getting a new one!  So maybe that's part of the depression.  I have been relaxing a lot at home and also trying to get some Christmas stuff down here and there. 

Well it's so great to hear from you.  If I can't get on KG again, you can PM me your e-mail address so we can continue to correspond.  Have a good one!!!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #322 on: February 27, 2009, 07:27:15 PM »
Well hello everyone.... I am so sorry I have been gone sooo long, but all of you have been in my thoughts..... My Computer went down... CRASHED!!!! I could not afford to get a new one till Uncle Sam paid me ...lol  I just got a cheap, basic computer till Im rich again.... but this will do till then. A whole lot of nothing has been going on... same as always.... I am keeping a baby, and an afterschooler for extra money.... so my time is limited.. They keep me real busy, and between Taking T to PT 2 times a week, and all the other things going on... Im exhasted by the end of the day.  Tyler's quad is still very weak... he does not complain of pain, at all... sometimes a little sore, but no pain. He still thinks Im a mean person cause I make him excercise... But Im on to him.... He thinks if he acts normal... hes healed!  He is just compensating in other ways as to APEAR normal.....He can jump a little... he is outside everyday after school practicing his basketball shots... and they are going to start him jogging next week. He is always afraid when they have him try new things... but once he sees it not that bad   he embraces the callenge...
He still gets down, cause he is not able to do all he wants to... ( and will only admit that to me) he is way tooooo coooooool   to show anyone else he is not tough!!!!  But I get it. and this too shall pass.... someday he will look back on this whole experience and and be gratefull for all the pain, fear courage, dedication, and even maybe.. just maybe.. be grateful for that evil mom that pushed him through it.  I really believe that all the emotions we have gone through...and all the lessons we have learned, have built our characters, strenghtened our will, andtaught us some very good life long lessons.....    With that said... now I have to go change a poopy diaper, and I will catch up on all of you soon.... I PROMISE!   Hugs...... and Misses  lol    Lori

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #323 on: February 27, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »
YAY, a blast from the past.  Good to have you back Lori.  I thought we lost you. 

I can't believe T is jumping and playing basketball.  That's fantastic!  And now he's getting ready to start jogging too?  That is the best news I've heard in a while. 

You can bet he will look back at all the hard work his SuperMom did for him through all of his medical issues. 

Can't wait to hear more progress.  We've missed you guys!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #324 on: February 27, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »
Lori

How are you. I am so pleased to hear T is doing well...it will take time but he has come so far. How is the child minding going ? Its nice to hear from you again.
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #325 on: March 10, 2009, 11:51:59 PM »
Hey Lori!!!!!!

I am so glad that Tyler is healing, it's slow but it sounds like he is progressing like me, a little at a time and you just get better and better, but REALLY SLOWLY!

You are brave to watch little rug-rats. I love kids, but I love them in short spurts.... well except my own, he is unconditionally loved.

Well I am glad things are continuing to improve, hope you get a better computer soon.

Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #326 on: September 16, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
Hey everyone.... I dont even know who is still on here but I thougt it was time for a quick update... Tyler is now in 10th grade... and we had a great summer... busy. He was sought out and picked up by a terrific aau coach to play basketball with an exposure team. so we went ot alot of BIG tournaments. Clemson, USC, Myrtle beach... these tournaments are to get these kids noticed on the court.... and he was doing well until.... the night after 27 college coaches signed up to see him play a a HUGE tourney at the beach... he dislocated AGAIN...while wearing the brace. It turns out he GREW AGAIN. he is now officially 6 foot 8 inches tall, and now 15 years old. he could not play in the tournament but we went any how, (it was paid for) and if nothing else he could still get noticed on the bench.... He was crushed. I could not imagine having to deal with the emotions he had to deal with. the good news is that he did not do any damage to the knee itself... but again his confidence is back at square 1. The OS has ordered new custom braces for him and they seem to be doing great. We are just working out the kinks of them... But he LOVES them. Its called a Bledsoe brace. they are expensive, but they hold his patella in tighter and they have an air bladder to fit him even better.. Awsome. He wants to play so badly. He still lives basketball, works out regularly, and is again back to playing. Practice has already begun for school ball, and he is eager to play. Me on the other hand... is still nervouse EVERY time he plays... and if given the oppertunity I stay at every practice, and of course I go to every game. Last year he did not get alot of playing time, I think the coaches are still afraid of him but his summer coach has seen what he is capable of and now has a little influence of the school coaches since he will now be one of them. We are looking foward to a great year...Im pleased that they are now seeing what he can do, and they are learning how to use Tyler and his strengths.

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #327 on: March 02, 2011, 01:37:54 AM »
Wow... I just read through all of the posts...what a journey....Im still at every game... most practices.... and I cringe every time he dunks the basketball....but he is confident, strong and fast... I just know we made the right decision to go through this ordeal. He still needs to work his legs ... often, and yes he gets lazy about it, but he has been working out 5 practices a week, and he has conditioning class in school. Plus games, and playing on weekends... so I guess if slacks a day or two its ok. I can say, that through this experience, he has decided that his career will be in sports medicine, and athletic training..... I think he has come to realize that when a person loves a sport as he loves basketball... they will go through almost anything to play.... but you need someone to encourage and motivate you to be yor best, try harder, push further... where there is a will there is a way. I am so proud of what he has accomplished.... every setback that life thows at him, he takes ahold of, and overcomes..... Dont ever tell him   "He cant" cause HE WILL!

To all my KG's out there, Thank you for the support, without your love I may not have survived this and still be sane.... To anyone that may come upon this post.. and need support or advice or encouragement... please look me up on facebook... Im willing to pay it foward... forever. we all need someone during times of need and this site helped me tons! Here is to hoping you are all pain free, or at least able to tolorate it... hugs to those that need it.  Ill check back when I can, until then much love  Lori Bayne Wilk                          aka supermom... nahhhhh still not buying that one...lol

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2011, 06:08:43 PM »
Just when we get to a good place... AGAIN....He grows...Tyler Knows he is growing again because he can feel it. It worries him because everytime he grows he has an incident.. with his knees. He can feel them getting " unstable" which worries me because it is the beginning of the summer season. He feels like he has to prove something to his teammates, which inevidabley causes him to work that much harder to prove himself. This can cause an injury. Will I ever not get anxious? He wants to grow...but he does not like what comes with it.. and neither do I. When we got these surgeries, we were told his growth plates were almost closed. since then he has grown at least 3 more inches...and now possibly more!  I have to lay him down in the driveway and and chalk him like a crime scene.....ugggggh. Will this growing disrupt the work already done???? what do we have to look foward to this year?  This whole experience has had its ups and downs...... I am certainly much grey..er. and I find myself very anxious at time. Its just sooooo hard when Basketball is his LIFE LOVE, and All I can do is sit in the Bleachers, and encourage him  while secretly praying everytime he jumps ,gets fouled, dunks, or falls......
I guess we just have to take it as it comes.....Not KNOWING... worries me to death. He does not want to go thu it again, and I dont want it for him. Two steps foward... one step back. Story of his life. I just want better for him!

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #329 on: June 13, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
Hello everyone.... just wanted to update you on how things are... Tyler is good . He is a Junior in High school now, and still playing Basketball. Still 6'9, so he has not had any growth spurts in a while. His Knees are strong. He has increased his vertical jump, and his speed and footwork is MUCH better. He is generating interest from college coaches, and for the most part emotionally in the right place. There is always that what if??? in the back of his mind, but it does not seem to interfere with his game. As A mom... its still hard. He is more independant now, and wants to go play a game, without me there... and it kills me, not to be there EVERY TIME. This week he went to college camps, and I had to stay home.eeek. The only problems he has currently...are when it rains, or is going to rain, his knees ache a little. and he gets sore, from working out... but thats to be expected. He is learning to recognise the signs he needs to sit down.... just wondering about the screws...?????? at some point  they will need to come out. I just hope its not any time soon.

support