Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 80058 times)

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #255 on: November 07, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »
Hi Lori, welcome to the over 100 club.  Good thing that's not our age, huh?

Sorry to hear you're still snotty.  Yuck!  Get better soon!

Exercises? What exercises?  I don't have to do them when my exercise teacher is sick do I?  I need you cracking the whip to motivate me.  No, seriously I HAVE been doing my exercises and I think I overdid it with the impact type stuff like kicking my kick bag and jumping rope.  So I've toned it down a bit and back to just the bike and stretching stuff. 

When do you think Tyler will be able to attend school again?  I bet his grades will bounce right back up again when he feels better and gets back into the swing of things.  Don't stress too much about it.  How's his weight gain doing?  Are you filling him full of good fattening foods?

I'm not much of a TV junky but Thursday nights are my favorite too.  Ugly Betty and Greys for me.  Can't say I ever developed a callus on my clicker finger though.  LOL

Get better soon and wipe that snotty face!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline allie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #256 on: November 08, 2008, 01:57:37 AM »
Have a great weekend Lori
I hope your flu is getting better by now, you are doing great to carry on, it is amazing how you deal with everything so calmly and still post on others threads to keep them cheerful too.
Thank-you for your posts on my board I always look forward to a message from you!!

Allie xx
Pre 1992 Repeated dislocations both knees
1992  bi Lateral Release
2007 dislocation left knee
Dec 07 dislocation right knee
May 08 arthroscopy and MUA
Jun 08  achillies tendon surgery
Jun 09 arthroscopy and MUA
Jul 09 discharged from physio- not working
Jul 09 still on crutches (18/19 months)

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2008, 12:31:45 AM »
Hi Lori, hope you are feeling better and are taking some "me" time.  you are Supermom but it doesn't do anyone any good if you wear yourself out.....you know....I know, you know.....

Anyway, maybe Tyler's knee "giving out" is his quad being weak.  I used to get that alot at first and it's scary but I finally decided it's not my knee but my weak quad.  I hope so anyway for mine and Tyler's...and yours sake.

Well, short post, wanted to check in with everyone and see how things are going, I hope you have a good weekend.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #258 on: November 10, 2008, 04:26:20 AM »
Hi Lori,
     I was just stopping in to see how Tyler is doing. I was dissapointed to hear he is having his knee give out since Lenore had a similiar issue now I am just paranoid about a similiar event. I am hoping both are related to atrophy and not damage.

I hope things are well and it seems like you are hanging in there like a trooper! Way to go Super Mom!

~Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #259 on: November 11, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »
Hello world..... I keep saying Im better now... but then this nasty bug puts me in my place... :P  But this time I think im ok... aside from the fact that when I cough I feel like one of my kidneys are coming up.... There is nothing worse than having a coughing fit that gags you cause in your attempt to get air...you suck in your own hair .... :'(  I have resorted to the old ponytail for now... just to avoid this unpleasantness.......

Tyler is doing good. PT yesterday... he got on the newstep... and his ROM is about 70... he is now walking... with his crutches... and working on the parrell bars... at home last night he tried to go with only one crutch... its difficult.. but I admire him for trying. I think he is just tired of being so immobile...and he is pushing himself to have some normalcy.....
He has been having alot of trouble sleeping.... he has to be concious of not flopping his feet outward because it puts a strain on the muscles on the sides of his knee, and prevents him from being able to bend... but with size 14 feet... I can see how it would be hard to keep them in a toes up possition ALL NIGHT>>>   

We still have NOTHING from his home bound teacher!!! GRRRRR
He is bummed cause basketball tryouts started yesterday...........
His friends still NOT calling......He is bored!
He is getting angry.....at everything.....knees, crutches, friends, teachers, sister, dog, braces, couch cushions, Its like walking on egshells.... but I know its because he is frustrated, tired, and bored.....
I wish I could find something different to entertain him.....

Lenore here is a pic of my girl....... my little techno Queen .......

Hope it worked.....             Hugs    Lori

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #260 on: November 11, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »
Wow, you're still sick?  No way!  I hate when the cough chokes you.  That's so scary. 

It's great Tyler is still staying motivated for PT and getting healthier even though everything else stinks (friends, basketball, etc.).  Hmmm...time for another secret celebrity call?  Poor guy! 

Awesome pic of the techno queen.  She's so darn cute and I love the birdhouse doors too.  So did she do her powerpoint presentation for you yet?  I love Nevella's description of her doing it.  I can just see her standing looking up at a screen and using her laser pointer to show you exactly what she wants for Christmas.  Too funny. 

Please try to rest some and get better Lori.  You sound beat.
05/09  MUA

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #261 on: November 11, 2008, 05:19:41 PM »
nanny nanny boo boo....... See It took me all morning.... but I finally posted a very distorted pic of ME!   YAY  I hate the pic... but it took me too long to figure it out, and Im not changing it now! lol  See lenore...... you have inspired me to try..... your so awsome!  Nevella.... with her sparkely things.... that will take me a year!  lol  maybe I can get my techno queen to help me.   Ya know ... back in the day a techo queen was something very different...... lol     Gotta run.... Check on you guys later...
                                        Hugs   Lori

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #262 on: November 11, 2008, 09:57:16 PM »
Your little girl is so cute and if thats her room, my girls would love it.  I am glad to hear you are feeling better and have sympathy...I took a terrible throat and wa sin bed all weekend. I was thinking of you  :-*

I hope T is continuing to make improvement and think you done great...your photo looks very pretty !!!
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #263 on: November 12, 2008, 02:45:08 AM »
You poor thing,that's so awful to feel under the weather for so long. And when you're trying to take care of your little man too. That would be frustrating,  I have been lucky so far (crossing fingers) I haven't gotten sick. I thought for sure I would catch something after my surgery since my son has brought home a few bugs from school already. I buy that airborne stuff and it's worked pretty great actually.

Well I hope you get better soon so I can be glad for you!

Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #264 on: November 12, 2008, 06:57:30 AM »
Heyyyyyyy Lori!! Nice pics!! ;D :D

Sorry you are still coughing. I hate chest colds!! They wear you out!! :o I have asthma, so usually after an attack, I end up with a chest cold. I have a nebulizer which helps alot though. And knock on wood, the asthma has been pretty good. :-X

Sounds like T is coming along ok. Dont you hate that whole school issue? I mean come on, the kid wants to stay up with everyone so hes not totally behind when he goes back. You would think they would make that a priority? ::) Geesh! And the friends thing goes with the age, I think. Teenagers are in their own little world, and unfortunately dont realize how much their friends need them when they are sick, hurt, etc. But Im sure they will come around.

I just posted in my diary....finally. So you can check it out when you get the chance. Good to hear things are looking up your way. Take care of that cold.

Sleep well....DONNA :)
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #265 on: November 12, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »
Nice distorted pic Lori. I'm going to call you Elvis.  Looks like you're saying "Thank you very much" with the Elvis curl.  LOL  Sorry.  It really is a cute pic. 

Feeling any better today?  Hope so!
05/09  MUA

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #266 on: November 12, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »
Hi there,
I wrote a few days ago, but hit the space bar and my long message vaporized  >:( I hate when that happens!  John had his surgery yesterday and we brought him home last night.  So far so good.  I am sorry to hear your still not feeling well.  You better hunker down on the couch next to T and watch some movies and nap...rest is the key.  I have a billion things to do, and want to start a post-op diary if I can, so I will just write this short one for now.  I think your pic is very pretty!  Your little girl is adorable too  :)
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #267 on: November 12, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »
auwwwww shucks ...guys... your all so sweet.  Tyler and I just got back from 2.5 week post op appt.  Dr Majors sounds very optomistic... He says it all looks good..... They clipped his top and bottom stitches... and have him a new hinged brace for when he is ready... He is still very afraid... but the new hinged braces look just like the old STINKY ones he was in before when he kept dislocating... The difference now is that he will only have to wear these ones when he is playing ball....Tyler thinks he will wear them all the time like before... NOT! I know its a security thing for him now... but he really need to learn to trust these new knees..... We''ll get there.... Oh  He has out grown his 6'6 crutches  and we now have to go to a special medical supply store to get taller ones.... ugggggg!
We have PT today.. so Im off and running again.... thats ok.. I need this rush rush day to get my dander up... cause when Im done with PT... IM GOING TO THE SCHOOL ! I have still heard NOTHING!!! and I know he is now at least 5 weeks behind in all his classes....! While there Tyler wants to check in with the basketball tryouts.... Hey its something to do..... He wants to play so bad....  :-[  maybey the smell of the gym.... the feel of the ball.... and seeing who is taking his place as center.... will speed his recovery... I dont know...... I gotta run.... Ill check back in with y'all later... I hope everyone is good....
oh and yes.... Im feeling more my psycho :D  self..... YAY       Hugs    Lori

Offline allie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2008, 12:45:02 AM »
Hi Lori,

The photos are great, your daughter is so cute and her room is beautiful. I am glad to hear that Tyler is doing ok and has had a good report from his OS- good luck with the super tall crutches!!

It is great news to hear that you are feeling better and back to your usual self, everything will feel much easier now you are feeling better I think.  I have just had an awful stomach flu- throwing up every hour and trying to get to the bathroom on time is quite funny!! It helps to see a funny side some times doesnt it!

Good luck at the school- I think Tyler will  catch up just fine with your help and I hope he enjoys the basketball game tryouts.  How long will it be before he can play again- if you know this that would be a big target for him in the future.

Have a good day- thanks for still reading my post even though you have moved on up here!!!

Allie xx
Pre 1992 Repeated dislocations both knees
1992  bi Lateral Release
2007 dislocation left knee
Dec 07 dislocation right knee
May 08 arthroscopy and MUA
Jun 08  achillies tendon surgery
Jun 09 arthroscopy and MUA
Jul 09 discharged from physio- not working
Jul 09 still on crutches (18/19 months)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2008, 08:59:38 AM »
Hi Lori, I am glad that everything with Tyler is going smoothly!!  How is the pain and swelling and such?  Is it improving always?  I'm sorry his friends aren't calling!!!  They definitely don't understand that he needs friendships to continue going on and being motivated with something.  Can't he call them?  I'm sure many of them are busy with sports and school work in the evenings anyway.  If I were him, I would call some friends.  Good for you trying to take care of the school situation and work load.  5 weeks is a long time to be behind!!!  I hope it gets worked out without too much of an overload.  The teachers seemed so great at the beginning of all of this and now are getting a little lazier it seems.  I just think it's great that he can take so much time off for his surgeries and still have the opportunity to do his work and stay alongside is classmates in grade levels.  Is he at a public or private school? 

Okay, it's 4am and I need to go back to sleep.  I hope you are improving from your cold!!  Did Tyler go watch some tryouts at school?  Did he enjoy it or did it bring him down more?  I guess his goals for playing again are shooting for next year's season, right?  Okay, time for bed.

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

support