Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 84351 times)

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »
Lori....Ok, my turn to support you. Geez, this medical/hospital stuff between us needs to stop!! :o :o I know how nervous you are. When I am the patient, its all good. Im cool, calm and collected. When its someone close to me, however, I am a wreck. Must be a girl thing!! :-[ 8) But I am sure everything is going to go well. Before you know it, you will be back home, and once again, playing the role of mom/nurse/PT and all that happy stuff. Dont you wish we, as moms, got paid for our job?? ha ha ha...we would be rich!! As for your husband and the waiting room, I have one of those too. Rick hates the waiting stuff. Actually he hates hospitals. Period. So when Ive had my surgeries, and they are running late, which is the norm, he is sighing, griping, etc. Last night he was telling me how his surgery will be about 4 hours, and then, recovery time will be awhile as he and anesthesia dont get along. No, I dont like to wait, but Ill handle it totally different that he would. I feel its one of those things we have no control over, so we might as well make the best of it. Anyways, know that Tyler and your family will be in my prayers, and that Im here if you need anything at all. Let me know how it goes....

DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2008, 08:35:48 PM »
Hi Lori,

Sorry I've not stopped by for a while.

Just wanted to say a big goodluck to Tyler for tomorrow, sending him a big hug.  :)

You are a fab Mum and he is very lucky to have you there beside him helping him along, I know its hard waiting and keeping everyone calm, sometimes I think its harder for the person who actually waiting, than the person who is fast asleep in theatre.

Hang in there, sending you positive thoughts.

Trace x

23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2008, 11:48:48 PM »
11 hours and 40 minutes......... lol       I feel better than I did this morning... tried to keep busy most of the day.... but got absolutly nothing accomplished..... no shopping, laundry, cleaning... nothing...
We got a shower... and went to PT.... thats it.  they did however work with us on how to get up from couch... and how to walk with crutches on the current post op leg.... I think I need to go to rt knee and left knee now... cause its going to get confusing come tomorrow.......the left was 1st... the right is 2nd...... k everyone got it?   good.

Trace ....   thanks for stopping by and sending me possitive thoughts....I really appreciate the suppost.
Donna....   your right.... I could be rick... especially if you also include teacher, servant, whipping boy, bell hop, chaufer, trainer, personal chef....need I go on??? When people ask my occupation I have lots of fancy titles.... but I usually just put down that Im a "Domestic Goddess"  (even tho between us ,  I hate the domestic part)  lol    So he has all the details on the surgical procedure??? I have not checked your thread.... but Im assuming we have a time and date of surgery??????
Lenore..... Thanks for being you! ;D Always my rock when I need one...and a friend to get silly with....and No Nevella has not stolen me yet........lol but I like her just the same!!!! :) 

Ill probably be back later since I wont be able to sleep...... love ya'll.....hugs   Lori

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2008, 01:34:50 AM »
Hi Lori,
I will be thinking of you and Tyler and sending you all good wishes for a smooth recovery.  Your almost on the other side of the mountain now!  I understand all your emotions as we near our 2nd surgery (11/11).  My hubby gets so worked up he won't sleep for days beforehand.  It is exhausting to be everything to everyone, but I wouldn't trade it for the world and I know you wouldn't either.  I will be waiting to hear how your all doing.  God Bless! ;)
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2008, 03:51:48 AM »
No, Lori, no surgery details here. He has to figure out the whole work thing yet. He works for the state. Has FMLA, but its unpaid. So he has to use his "leave time", of which there is not a lot to work with being the end of the year. So...I told him to check and see if they will advance him some of his leave time for next year. He has 23 years in, so its not like hes a newbie or something, you  know? So hes working on that now. It just sux....he has a job with excellent pay, excellent medical benefits, so I dont understand why they dont take better care of you as far as pay when you get sick? But we will be fine....just some figuring out to do.

Again, good luck tomorrow. Ill check in off and on to look for your post when you get home.

DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2008, 04:17:55 AM »
7 hours......... NAHHHHHH Im not worried.... 8) cool as a cuke I am!!!  lol  Mom came to spend the night with me... ::)  She wants to go with us to the surgery..... The more the merrier I say........... Deep breath.... heavy sigh........   Ok.... better now....... later guys.... Ill post when I can tomorrow after we get home...... I hope you are all pain free.... 
Lenore.... upper body hurts more the 2nd day after you have overdone it!!! But Good for you for getting up and doing it!!!! You have way more ambition than me......Ill just sit here and cheer you on ok? Eating my chips n dip.... and Jelly belly's...... lol GO Lenore GO!!! lol  :D  need me to count for you?

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2008, 09:41:01 AM »
Lori and Tyler, good luck today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2008, 10:34:58 AM »
You're funny Lori.  You're cheering me on for my exercises while you are sleepless and stressed to the max?  Thanks.  It worked.  I did more exercising last night.  I must have heard you counting.  Or was that you counting sheep to try and get some sleep?  Hey, save some of that chips and dip for me.  That's my favorite dinner!

Hope you got a little rest.  Right about now you're at the hospital and stressing the most.  Hope it's not too bad and you're home in no time.  I'm thinking about you this morning.  Poor T.  I still think he'll do even better with this one because now he knows what to expect.

Love ya!  Hugs!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2008, 01:55:20 PM »
Hello everyone..... sorry its been so long... but yesterday was a blur...... I know that on Wed night( or rather Thursday AM I finally went to sleep at arounf 345 am.... and my alarm went off at 4 am. I woke mom up, then hubby and Tyler.....   Hubby did not get up right away, and when he did, he dicided that he needed a shower.....uggggh  then he had to have coffee... and as we were walking out the door.. he decided he needed breakfast which he proceded to fix... ( for only himself) while I took the other middle seat out of the van (since hubby did not do it the night before as I asked)  So my day started out a little peeved.... We got to the Surgical center, and Tyler was sched to be 1st.... we got him all set up...he was terrified.. they gave him some magic medicine.....versaid (spelling?) and he started to flash his beautiful new smile...... we had just been thu all the prep stuff so that was easy...and pretty much the same.....I told them he gets nauseated when he wakes up...and that the little bandaid thing behind the ear was not enough for him last time....and told them about the nerve block issue he had.... they wanted to give him something different this time... I guess it was like an epidural...cathater that we could leave in for 3 days... then I would have to take it out when all the nerve block med was gone from this little fanny pack thing.... Tyler did not want that....and he made sence as to why... he said that it would just prolong the fact that the pain was coming..once the block wore off...and that as long as we have the meds in him before the block wore off he could get over the initial pain faster.... makes sense to me! why lay there for 3 days ...waiting and worrying about the pain thats coming.....so we declined and opted for the reg nerve block.... VOWING to NOT get behind on the meds this time!!!!   
He was really worried that he was going say or do something stupid... so he did not enjoy the versaid as much as last time.... He made me promise to not let him make any new friends like he did last time :)
(rember Unkle Phil?)   They took him back.... did the procedure.... OS came out... said same as last time,  the only difference was that he had to "clean up a little more under the knee cap than the other one, and smototh out the roughness"  ???  so the Arthoscopy,chondroplasty with open re alignment and tibial tubicle transfer with Quad transfer went well"....( I love to say all that) now that I know how to.   lol  It makes me sound smart... and I love to see the look people give me when I tell them.... its like HUH... and then I just walk away.... lol   
The surgery only took an hour..... but i was in the waiting room for ever!!!! I made a friend...a little girl that shared her teddy ghrams with me...so I shared my jelly belly jelly beans  and we played....She drew me a picture and she was just so darn cute!!! She kept my mind off the fact I was irritated with hubby, and worried about T.   I swear that 30 people came out and went home before they came to get me......Tyler just would not wake up!!!! They said he was in Pain again when he woke up so they game him some demerol.... which made him even harder to wake up... I told them to just yell   BUS!  That usually works for me....lol 
They said he got off the operating table by himself... on the 1st op knee with no brace...and into the chair....OS said MUST WEAR BRACE AT ALL TIMES WHEN STANDING, and they locked that one back in at 30...so he wont buckle when trying to get around..... I was mad they moved him like that with no brace on! And Im sure the OS did not know about it..since the nurse looked a little worried when my jaw dropped to the floor...... 
We got him in the van.... brought him home...got him out of the van...into the house...onto the couch....( at this point I was very happy Hubby was with me)  cause it was a hard ...slow...process!
Post op was this AM.... thank goodness for the PA at office helping me get him out of van and into office.. but we had to do it all alone when we got home...and we did!! YAY He is now on the couch again....FULL of meds....nerve block is starting to wear off..... and I have my alarm set to ring ever 4 hours........ Im feeling confident right now.... ;) 

Thank you all for your well wishes....and prayers.... Its nice to know that you guys are here for us..... MUAH  kisses to you all!!!!

Now Joanne.......ready.....dip two three four....dip two three four.....now picking up the remote......point...and h o l d   i t......hold it..... good...... now GET YOUR HAND OUT OF MY CHIPS   AND GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 30!!!!  what? 30 is too hard? FINE YOU BABY>>>JUST GIVE ME 3 SETS OF 10 instead>>>>>     NOW!   lol

Love ya!!!!  I gotta go take a nap... Im getting delerious!!!!   Ill check back later, and catch up on all your threads...... Hugs..... Lori

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »
Hi Lori,

I'm so glad that Tyler is ok and the op seems to have gone well. I would imagine that he will find this rehab slightly easier as he knows what to expect this time.

He has done fantastically to come out of hospital so quickly, though I must say like you I am surprised that they moved him without the brace on.

Lol you did make me smile when you told me what your hubby was like the morning of the op, it was just so much like the sorts of things my hubby does too. I think sometimes his way of dealing with stressful situations is not to think about them until the last possible moment which means that he doesn't plan his actions in advance!

I'm glad your hubby and your Mum were there for you and Tyler though, are they able to get up during the night to give Tyler his medicine as well so that you can sleep too?

Hugs

Trace

28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2008, 02:39:54 PM »
trace.... no  hubby works crazy early to late hours so I dont bother him with all that... plus.. I feel better knowing what I gave him and when... I really dont want mistakes.... Mom went home after surgery yeaterday, she had to work today.... So its just me and T.... and thats ok... till I have to get him up... lol thats hard...

BTW I had to laugh... I just got thru posting on your thread.... only to find out that you need to do excercises too..... lol   So now I have 2 people in my class!!! lol you and lenore!  I am way more flexable than any PT... or boss out there so you just let me know what class you want to attend!!!! lol

OH... I have a question....Can anyone tell me the diff between  hydrocodone    10-325
                                                                                                                 5-500
                                                                                                                 7.5-325
and why do the #s keep changing???  is one stronger than the other? they all say take 1-2 tab every 4-6 hours as needed for pain........

Hugs    Lori

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2008, 02:51:34 PM »
t
OH... I have a question....Can anyone tell me the diff between  hydrocodone    10-325
                                                                                                                 5-500
                                                                                                                 7.5-325

The first number indicates the amount of hydrocodone in the pill. The 10mg is the strongest obviously. the second number is the amount of acetaminophen (Tylenol) in the pill. The amount of acetaminophen taken needs to be monitored closely. It should never ever exceed 4000mg per day. That includes anything else he might take like Tylenol or even some liquid medicine has acetaminophen in it. The lower the amount the better. Tylenol is the number one drug that people overdose on. They think since it's over-the-counter they can eat it like candy. Too much can destroy your liver quickly.

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2008, 03:02:24 PM »
ahhhh ha... so thats why they want him to take ibuprophin and NOT Tylenol.... it makes sense... Im not sure why they gave him the 10 this time.. and 5 last time... but perhaps he wont need to take 2 this time...  right now im not taking any chances....Im giving him 2. We really had a BAD time of it last time..and I dont EVER want to see him go thu THAT again.....  Thanks so much for your quick response... YAY jathib to the rescue!!! ;D
I really need to take a nap.... Ill be back later guys.......  Lori

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »
YAY!  T and Lori are home and all is well.  Glad things went OK.  I loved you saying to yell "BUS" to wake up T.  That cracked me up. 

Make sure T eats something with that hydrocodone.  It made me barf if I forgot to eat.  I only took it one day because I hate drugs.  Hope he gets off it quickly and can handle the pain OK on just ibuprofen. 

Get some rest!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2008, 03:30:53 PM »
Cool! Lori's excercise classes. Sounds like a good idea to me. Can I book one with bending exercises please lol, how bout you lenore what excercises do you need?

Are you strict Lori?  ;D

Hope you manage to get some rest.

Trace x
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy