Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 84933 times)

brianne

Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2008, 09:01:33 PM »
Lori,

Sorry you had to battle Tyler on ROM.  You did the right thing in telling him that he had to work on ROM.  This is going to be so hard for him because the whole process is so painful and he is so young.  You are doing the best thing for him by being supportive yet forceful so that he knows you are on his side but that he has to push through the pain.  It gets easier.  Once he starts to regain that ROM then everything will be less painful.  Maybe try reminding him that if he works on ROM now then he will get it back faster and there will be less pain overall.

Also a good thing in making him get up and move around a little bit.  With major surgery such as this its natural to want to lay on the couch and do nothing until the pain passes.  I know first hand that the more you get up and move around early on the better it will be. 

You are doing a great job.  I cannot imagine how tough it is to be the mother because you do not want your child to be in pain but yet you know that they are going to be anyway. 

Brianne

Offline datapopp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2008, 09:55:48 PM »
Hi Davori;

One of the things that seems to work with Annie is that when she gets up in the AM no pain pills until she eats and does her first set of exercises, same at lunch, same at dinner.  I tell her that the pills will make her sicker if she does not eat ...therefore she can't have them until she does.....  Caveat is I will make her anything she wants to eat, bowl of fruity pebbles, sandwich, pizza, smoothie  you name it.   There have been a couple of times I have felt like a real witch...but they have to eat to feel better.

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 12:55:38 AM »
You guys are doing great, it's hard to be a mom but that's what you have to do.  Make them do the exercises BC it will be hell later if they don't.  They are young and know everything but you have to stand firm.  Make sure Tyler eats and is taking a stool softener with the pain pills, that was almost as bad as the pain.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 01:02:58 AM »
Just stopped by to see how Tyler's doing, looks like you are doing well. I hope you get the ROM worked out. I am having a very difficult time doing mine also.

I will keep your family in my prayers!

~Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 03:14:15 AM »
Day 5 coming to a close... I managed to get him up once to go potty... and boy did he get mad when I made him brush his teeth!!! >:( He had to sit at the kitchen table to do it.. but I have spent way too much money on his mouth for him to go any longer without brushing!!! He didnot want to eat all day... and didnt want the meds either... but he finally asked for french fries... and I jumped on the chance... Yes I got out the deep fryer and made fries.. ( mind you Im no Betty crocker) but at this point Ill give him fries for breakfast too... If thats all he will eat. He says the meds make him sick... and I had to make him take some... even though he seems to be doing fine.. with food it, really helps him to be a little more cooperative. He still wont do the Rom excercises... But thats ok... cause I will ! He will get tired of me soon enough! his brace is set for 0 to 40. I got him to 40 today.. but I cant seem to get it to 0. the best I can do is 10.... is that because of the brace? or the swelling?  His knee is still very swollen, but it has gone down a little. his knee is bruising... Its weird.. It started as a red mark in one spot.. then it went to several spots... now its that yellowish yuck kind of bruise.... I have never known a bruise to change colors in the same day.... Any how he really doesnt mind me doing the ROM..... it doesnt even hurt.... he has not asked for ice either.. ( probably cause I woulnt give it to him this morning) He is rebelling against it now. .........He just wont get up! The Man Cave never happened....he an I sat and watched a marathon of Americas Next Top Model....all day. Neither of us even like the show... or the models... but I guess it just reeled us both in... cause we watched everyone!  Oh and I slipped a little miralax in his water... When I told him he was mad, but I promised he wont have to RUN to the potty, but it sure would make things easier when the time came.

I cant say it enough... THANK YOU guys sooooooo much for being here for me. It seems kinda odd that Im not the one hurting, and yet all of you are in some stage of recovery or another.. and your supporting me.  I feel like a (wee-knee) lol            I just hope I can somehow pay it foward.....     

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »
Good morning all!!! I hope everyone id feeling good today!    Today is DAY 6

The OS nurse just called and said the OS has approved 3 weeks out from school... Thats helpful because here in SC they have to be out 10 consecutive days before he qualifyies for homebound insturction. I know its not much, but 50 minutes of instruction per school day means  He wont be counted as absent. Here  the district requires that he miss 10 days or less to be promoted to the next grade.( 5 excused and 5 unexcused absences are the max)  So Im going to try to get someone to sit with T while I go over to the District and fight for him. Because remember he has to do this again... and he will be out more.....

Anyhow  T got up and asked for ice this morning. Again I refused.... I gave him some ibuprophen for the swelling and the pain, to take the edge off and he will get ice AFTER he either gets up... or does ROM excercises... Am I being too mean???   Talk to ya later

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2008, 04:16:27 PM »
Lori,

No, you aren't being too mean. ROM excercises are really important. I believe Brianne said the same thing in an earlier post. It is important that he at least to the minimum number of exercises they gave him. If he doesn't then his recovery will be alot harder. I hope you get everything worked out with Tylers school. Surely they make an exception or do something so that he passes. It's not his fault he has to miss the school. I missed 22.5 days of school my freshman year, and luckily my school was great and I passed and was 3rd in the class. I think as long as his grades don't suffer horribly then they shouldn't be so strict. Poor kid, having to deal with pain and school really isn't fun.

Hope you have a good day!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline datapopp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
Hi Davori;

I KNOW it feels mean...but it is really important that he does his ROM and gets up....its not that you won't give him the ice in fact you would really like to.... you've just put the matter into his hands and  hopefully it will work....hardest thing about a teen is they can be so stubborn!!!  

Also, Annie's school is the sameway...she has to be out 10 school days in order to get any help...in fact, I brought in a note from the doctor and I emailed her teachers prior to the surgery and they just said get the homework assignments off edline...nothing else.  They are also marking all assignments as F's until she gets back and turns them in....rather than as absent...I don't get that so right now she is showing an F in all classes.  And whats really off is if I took her on vacation for 5 days or more she would sign a contract to homeschool and get all her work in a packet but they don't allow that  for this??????  I think somewhere the schools have taken a wrong turn in some of their policies...I don't know what to do either ...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:29:49 PM by datapopp »

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2008, 07:36:16 PM »
Well its official... Tyler will have 17 hours of Homebound instruction... for this knee.  I have to go thu it all again when they do the other one... but its a start. While I was gone Becky came over and did his excercises for him... lol hes not to happy, and I just did them again... lol hes still not too hapy... But she did convince him to eat ... yay!   I think Im wearing him down! Like I said before I will win this battle!  He really has no problem with the ROM..... getting to 40 is not a problem, I wonder if I can set his brace for 50???? I just cant get him to 0... only 10.
Datapop call the doc to see if they will extend her time out... thats what I did. Even if Tyler is back in school before he complets the 17 hrs, they will still work with him afterschool.... The instruction is effective from the 1st day out till they return... and they are not counted as an absence.  I too have asked for homework packet... and still dont have one... since the 10th. So the Homebound instruction will be  a blessing as I cant help him with algebra... One of his core teachers said she would do it for him... so it wont be a stranger... she just does it after reg school hours... or so Im told. I guess we will have to see, I have been told alot of things lately that just NOT been as I expected, so perhaps Im being too nieve... 
Lyndsey, was it hard to get caught up?  He is missing the beginning of the school year... He only went a week or 2 and was just getting down to buisness in his classes when this happened... Im so proud that you came back so strong academicly!!! It truely shows a great character!  Im not too woried about LA, SS, or Science, Algebra on the other hand... is a different story.  He hates math! and Math of possibilities is even more difficult cause he tends to compartmentalize everything. ( he cant round, or guestimate an answer... he is very factual.... so if y=12 why not just say 12.?? )
I hope everyone is doing well... Ill check back later.... Lori

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »
Lori,

It wasn't too hard to catch up with the work. I am like Tyler though, not good at Math at all. I just don't like that there is only one answer. lol. I suppose that is the reason I am a Political Science major. I kept up with my math, I was in Algebra II, online by doing excercises other than the ones I had to do for school. Math.com is an excellent website with alot of information for review and instruction. I really agree with use it or lose it, so I tried to at least think of math once a day. I think the hardest thing for me was the first 6 weeks after surgery, I was really loopy. The anesthesia did a number on me. I couldn't concentrate, and was making stupid mistakes. But thankfully, that finally went away. It was really frustrating though. When I was writing thank you cards, I misspelled words and wrote down words that I have never even seen before! I am usually a really good at spelling.

The biggest thing is just keep your chin up and keep on going. It may seem like things are at their worst, but I always believe things could be worse. So if I am really struggling one day, I will think of all the good things in life, and the things I can do. That usually cheers me up.

Hope you have a good rest of the day!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2008, 01:52:08 AM »
Glad to hear Tyler is doing well and you are able to help with the exercises.  John seems to be doing better with getting the 3 sets a day of his ROM exercises done.  I noticed tonight that his quad is totally gone.  Its so sad, this was his "good" leg.  I feel really mad right now that this has happened to him >:(  I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help him build this up....has anyone taken any supplements for building the muscles back up?  Protein shakes, etc.?  Not that I could get him to drink any, but just wondering.  Datapop, definitely get a note from the doctor.  I think you are going to need to be proactive about this.  It doesn't sound like the school is being very empathetic at all.  You are going to have to point it out to them and demand that Annie get more from them.  She should be entitled to some type of tutoring.  Be persistent.  Good luck.  How is Annie feeling?
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 03:40:26 AM »
It's amazing how fast the quad goes, I lost 2" and I am about sick of going up the stairs one at a time BC my leg is not strong enough.  You must get Tyler to do his exercises, he won't listen but he'll be sorry like I am.  It has taken me months to even be able to step down and then I have alot of pain.  It will come back but the folks who didn't let their quads atrophy like this have come and gone here on KG.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »
Hell oooooo  Well doing his rom excercises paid off.... I did them for him every hour and a half yesterday, and we almost got to 5 degrees.... a tiny bit of the swelling went down in his knee, but it seems as though he has begun to swell more in the calf... he has a very tender spot on the outside of his leg half way down the calf....its feels hard and warm to the touch... is that normal? he has not complained about this area yet....His knee is all kinds of funky colors..... any how I think the rom is helping, he actually reminded me that it was time to do them again ( once) but its a start.... I got him to sit up for a bit yesterday too....yay!  and he ate! YAY...  He has therapy today, and Im thinking of calling and canceling.... only because I have not heard anything yet as to wether they( ins. co) have approved the extension, and I would hate to waste a visit on things we can do at home... 

Im guessing the quad transfer part has him not able to do anything with it.. I did manage to get a couple of little flexes out of him. The Quad on the other leg is RAPIDY detererating..... it is very noticably... smaller... and he worked so hard all summer to build that up! :-[  1 step foward 2 steps back.... seems to be the ongoing story of late.   Well any how.... Im looking foward to a successful, productive day...
DAY 7 BEGINS>>>   I know it wont be cupcakes and rainbows... but ... Well take the littler pleasures in life...  ttfn    hugs to everyone that needs one!!      love Lori

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2008, 03:35:44 PM »
calf... he has a very tender spot on the outside of his leg half way down the calf....its feels hard and warm to the touch... is that normal?   

No, it's not normal. You might want to give his doctor a call. While calf pain is common, if it's hard, painful and warm to the touch it could also possibly be a blood clot. This is one of the reasons why he needs to be getting up as much as possible and doing his exercises himself. The more he sits on his butt the greater the chances of a blood clot. It's essential that he moves. I would call his doctor. He may well want him to go have an ultrasound done.

brianne

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2008, 05:21:53 PM »
I agree with Jathib.  Call his OS.  Its better safe than sorry with blood clots.

Use this as a lesson for him on why he needs to get up, move around, and move his leg.  Is he doing ankle pumps?

Brianne

support