Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 84939 times)

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »
What a great idea!! Thanks... i think I will have him do that.. I hope the Special K calls soon.. cause its killing me to keep this secret from him...and I dont want to suggest your idea before he calls cause then Tyler will put the 2 together.....He can make a list of all the people he admires...tell me why he admires them... and sent out letters... It will be a good teaching tool on admiration... while opening up discussions about what good moral qualities people see in each other....

Abby is doing fine. Becky had to go do some volunteer work at the school and did not want to leave her alone, so she brought her over here so we can take care of her and give her her meds.... Its good for T too.. right now they are both laying on the sofa, waiting for the pain meds to kick in....lol   I wish I could take Tessa back, but believe it or not my dog Cassie, her mom, gets really aggrivated with her, and Im afraid the same thing could happen here. I too am a sucker for animals.... I got Cassie by accident when I found her at a puppy mill....her eye was injured and the person that was supposed to get her, refused to pay the $ for a defective dog. I took her because I just knew they would turn her into a breeding dog, or kill her. Thoes kind of people make me angry.... So I bought her... and brought her home. She is blind in one eye, and it makes her kinda nervouse around small kids and unpredictable animals... so its best that she remains an only dog.... Tessa on the other hand is a fantastic girl.... she just needs a family that possibly has kids, and keep up with her energy... and also be an only dog.... I really hope we can find someone that we know so we can still see her.... all the kids.. even mine... are sad about it, but realize that it would be best... She's still young and adaptable... Abby is a little older and set in her ways.

Tylers swellin in his calf went way down...overnight...good sign?? I can put 2 fingers in the calf part of his brace, and his knee it self is not even touching the sides anymore... wow!!!  He says it really hurts today though. Normally when he is just laying around his levels are about a 2 or 3... but today he is having a time of it, even with meds..... I hope it feels better soon... We have to get up and excercise   soon. I really wish we had a CPM machine... Although that could be a new job for me... I could rent myself out as a CPM machine   and before you know it Ill have more muscles than a lady body builder... lol

Has your pain and swelling gone down? I really hope your feeling better than this am.    Later    Lori

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2008, 06:36:54 PM »
Whew…. That was a book.  Wow you’ve had a lot happen in the last few hours since I visited your thread!

Wow, about the Globe Trotters, you know I have never heard of anything like that, that’s really amazing I have a lot of respect for that team. He will be excited. I wouldn’t be able to keep that secret. That’s great that you’re going to have a party for him also, I am sure it will be something he will look forward to, maybe you could use the party’s as incentives for increases in ROM and PT. Like if you get additional 10 degrees I’ll order pizza for the party or something.

I am so sorry about your neighbors dog, it’s so sad to think about. Hopefully they find a good home for the feisty one.

That’s great that Tyler’s swelling is down. Mine was down yesterday but I went out today and it ballooned. Yikes!

Hope everything else is going alright, and that tonight is less eventful than last night.

~Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2008, 04:32:49 AM »
Lori,  what a cool surprise for Tyler!  I can't wait to hear how it went.  One of our best friends used to play on the Washington Generals...the Globetrotters rival team that travels with them and plays against them every night.  Hope the pup is doing okay, wow what a night.  Love the Kitchen [email protected]#@$ing, great idea! 
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
Day 11
 Tyler had an off day yesterday.... it was cold and rainy, and his his pain was more than usual.... I tried my best to keep his spirits up.... but Im his mom.... not his friends. (who by the way still have not really hung out with him... I gues there is a Star wars mini's tournament today so all the boys spent the night at Uncle Danny's.... bummer... we were hoping that they would come hang out here. Tyler really thought that he was going to be ready to go to this tournament... hes disappointed.  He did not sleep well at all last night and is a little cranky today.

Still waiting for the special surprise... to call.  Nothing yet. But I will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Still nothing from the ins. co.....

still nothing firm on when Homebound instruction will take place...

In all he really has nothing to look foward to..except another day of his mom nagging him to do things that hurt.

diggers mom... cool about the Generals.... I always feel sorry for them... Just when you think they are going to win..... they dont.  When Tyler was much younger  he used to root for them to win.... He has  always has a soft spot in his heart for the underdog.... He is wise to the game now.... but I think secretly h'ed like to see them win...

Tabitha, I hope your swelling is back down.... Did you have your leg up at your meeting?  or were you trying to be like regular folk, and sit properly in a chair?  It kinda worries me, that it can baloon up like that, cause what will Tyler do at school, sitting at a desk???????

I wonder if he is in more pain at rest now because of the weather??? Or do you think its just his mental state?  Or Is it supposed to feel worse??  He says his pain in in the top of the kneecap, and on the sides of the knee... maybe its healing???? I dont know...

I hope that all of you weekend warriors know your limits.... and dont over do it!!!! Wishing you all a pain free day.       hugs    Lori

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2008, 11:13:45 PM »
Hi Lori,
I hope today is less painful and boring for Tyler.  There are definitely on and off days for John.  His knee is still pretty big compared to the other one and it has been 5 weeks today since his surgery.  He has been doing his exercises more!  He did 30 leg lifts last night and said, "those were for you mom"  Melt my heart!  Again this morning...actually it was afternoon, but shortly after he got up he was doing his ROM exercises in the TV room  :)  His dad and I went to our local high school sports hall of fame luncheon (hubby is a member) to see the new inductees.  Well it got off to a bad start as he said it started at 1pm and while we were enroute I read the tickets which said it started at 12 and lunch was served at 1pm.  It was 1:30 when we got there and the inductees were giving their speeches  :-\  I was embarassed, but we slid in.  The speeches were very nice about our hometown and how its close knit and a great place for families, kids and sports.  It made me so sad when one inductee noted that aside from the sports memories it was the friendships with the teammates that meant and still mean the most to him.  My boy has lost out on this and will again this year.  It stinks so bad!!!!   I am sad and angry again at this thing.  I know I should pray that he will be a good person, but I also pray he will get to experience playing sports again someday.  Oh well, I hope everyone is well and your spirits are high.   ;)
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2008, 12:56:33 AM »
It is a proud thing when they do the excercises to please you!!!!! ;D  Tyler and I have this thing back and forth ...its all in fun...but it works for himmmm He calls me the Natzi... and I call him a baby,..... but we continue this back and forth banter... with love... until he is done... I know he hates to do them... but he also knows I wont let him NOT do them.  The sports thing is sad... Like I said before... he has finally found a sport he is good at... and he loves... and now cant play. After all we have been through... I would not mind telling people that Im the proud momma of a computer geek, or a gamer... but he wants to play ..... Its sad to see him down about it, especially since he worked so hard to build his knee back up to play this year... He really feels like he let the team down... He didnt even want to tell the coach....

Its really encouraging to know that john is up and attempting normal life.. and I think that once T gets back to school his mood will lift as well.... As long as everyone leaves him alone about not being able to play this year....He feels bad enough....

So many feelings... and its not even MY Knee..... I compleatly get where you are coming from...

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »
Hi Davori, as a mom of a son (7) and a knee victim, I thought I'd write. You're doing such a great job with him! I'm sure it has to be so hard to see someone go through this. But it's only temporary and it will pass.

I just wanted to add that if you could get a CPM (most insurance will cover 50% of durable medical), it would give him great relief and keep his pain probably at about a 1 if that. Movement is the best medicine for a knee.

However, if you can't get the CPM, there are alternatives. When he is up for it, maybe he could roll his foot gently back and forth on a skateboard, that mimics the motion of the CPM. He lays flat on the floor with his knee bent and foot flat on the skateboard and rolls it up and back gently. Or there are always heel slides. But that is more manual and more exhausting than the skateboard which he could do while watching tv and relaxing.

Movement also keeps swelling down. About playing, it's better to miss only one season than many or even all. Take care of your knees while your young Tyler! You'll be back...
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2008, 04:28:47 PM »
celine...Thanks for the tip on the skateboard trick... T has not ever been very coordinated to skate.. but Im sure I can find someone around here that has one....

I am going to ask the OS next week for a CPM machine... I did not know it was an option before the surgery, so I didnt know to ask... But since he still have no answere from the insurance company about getting more PT visits.... I really need to do something... I am beginning to panic a little... since we dont have PT... and I cant afford to pay the out of pocket expense....If Anyone can give me some more excercises to do with him here at home I would definatly appreciate it! 

My current regiment with him is 30 heel slides..... 30 ankle pumps.... 30 quad tightening things..( to move the knee cap) sitting with leg bent letting gravity get as much bend as possible,( this also helps to bear a little weight) and however many unassisted heel slides he do do tho what ever degree he can so them..... And leg raises... He cant actually do them... but the attempt to do them makes him uses his muscles.....  and when we finish...I make him get up...walk around a bit on crutches and setting his foot down on the floor.......
We do this as aften as possible.... He hates it... but does it.... Can anyone think of anything else I should be doing at this stage in his recovery??????  Today is DAY 11....

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »
Heel slides are great. Doing them on the skateboard just makes it easier is all.

I was doing quad sets which is where you contract your quad muscle (gently at first) with your leg straight.

CPM's are sometimes prescribed, depends on the OS and of course on the procedure. They are very expensive to buy, even used. To rent I'm not sure what you would pay in your area, but mine cost 22 dollars a day and my insurance pays 1/2, but I need it for 6 - 8 weeks! so it adds up.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »
Hi Lori:

I would call the OS and PT and ask for the protocol they are using for recovery.  Because all of our knees are different as all of us are all of the exercises prescribed for our recovery were different.

It seems to me it was more important to know what I should not do at any given point, for instance the OS said I had no restrictions on flexion from the start but I was not to do any open chain leg extensions or ham curls early on.

02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2008, 03:09:12 PM »
Celine I guess A cpm machine even at that rate would be out of the question for us...wow thats expensive...and at the rate we are going we will have to pay PT too....GRRRR I just dont know how we are going to do it.....But my sons legs are worth it...and if I had to choose....legs or poverty....I supposes its hands down not even a question...Why does everything have to cost so darm much????? I mean 897.00 dollars for an ambulance ride......497.00 dollars for a mild sedative to put a dislocated knee back in place??? not to mention dr fees... ect.. GRRRRR I just think its unfair! At this point....I believe Tyler has personally pain for a new wing at our local hospital, and should have it named after him!!!! Sorry for the rant.

BSG
I will be talking with the OS on Wednesday, so Ill have lots of questions for him again...it seems like I have to hold him hostage to get my answers, but this time I will have to ask his if There will be or can there be anything else I forgot to ask?? Funny how you dont know what to ask until its a problem, and then he is not available cause he is in surgery 2 days a week....

To everyone... Yesterday was quite productive.... It took 3 hours ... but I finally managed to get him in the shower... working on flexion just enough to get that looooong  leg into the tub. And the whole modesty thing... He hates to admit he needs my help..but doesnt want me to go far, all the while helping him with the promise that my eyes ARE closed!! I'd rather give a cat a bath!  But he feels alot better... and actually showed effort! He worked on his excercises, got up and walked around more, and seems to be showing progress.  He only requested pain meds in the am... and refused them all day after that... today I gave him ibuprophen instead of pain med... and we will see how it works out.
I can see a huge difference since we first began this post.... and with any luck we will continue to progress.  He got his flexion to 50 using only his muscles... no hands... Still swollen, and purple..and unable to WB  but he is trying to put foot down when he walks... so its a start!

Still no word on the Surprise!!!!! and its just killing me not to tell him!!!! Ill keep ya posted....

I hope everyone is having a good knee day, Ill be bak later...gonna go read up on you all!!!!  lol

Lori

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Hi Lori,

I've been lurking here for a while reading about your dear son Tyler.  I love that you joined KG's for him.  You sound like such a great Mom.  He's lucky to have you.

I was laughing at your description that you'd rather give a cat a bath.  Ha! Ha!  Poor T.  He wants to be able to do so much on his own but I bet he really appreciates all the care you're giving him.

Hope the surprise happens soon.  He'll be so thrilled. 

Good to hear he's on ibuprofen instead of pain meds now.  Hope he's OK on it and keeps improving.

Keep up the good work you superMom!!!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »
Lori, your bath story reminded me of a comic strip not too long ago, here is the link to the 1st day - this story line ran for 3 days, I hope it works.

http://www.arcamax.com/zits/s-404945-716302
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2008, 06:00:58 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D YAY!!!! we have something to look foward tooo... T's teascher is coming over after school today to give him some homework to work on!!!!! And he thought I was a natzi before!!!he he he...(poor attempt at an evil laugh)     Lori

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »
lenore...super mom.....I think not.... But i sure have tried these past few weeks... as far as him appreciating me.....I dont know.... most times I think not...but this morning he actually wanted a hug!!! That doesnt happen very often anymore now that he thinks he's grown!!  But Im really glad for your kind words.... without you guys... i would have lost my mind by now!!!
BSG.. thanks for the funnies... I cant see to find the one you are referring to but I really enjoyed som giggles today!!!!   But seriously... If you guys could only see the work and effort Tyler and I have to put into everything we do... It is kinda funny in a sad sort of way... everything is a fine balance... I wish you could get the full visual...

support