Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 84936 times)

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2008, 09:17:37 PM »
Hi ya Lori,

I'm glad that they have managed to sort out some extra tuition for Tyler, maybe having something else to think about will be good for him. I know its not quite the same as a puppy but any distraction is a good thing  :)

Just thinking about trying to encourage Tyler to move and do his exercises, have you tried bribery? I know its not prob the ideal way of doing it but if theres a computer game or something he would like and knows he could get it if he does his exercises for the week etc, it maybe enough to get him started.

I agree with the others I think we would be a good idea to get to get his leg checked out, you can never be to careful with stuff like that.

Take care

Trace
23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2008, 12:12:11 AM »
  Today has been a day.... ;D      The swelling was from his brace...   I think... cause it went down... but its turning to a bruise as well.. he also has a bruise starting to gu up his inner thigh  The whole thing sure doesnt look all that great! although I keeo telling him it does... the bruise means its healing... His whole knee is pretty warm... but I expect that is normal... We did Rom again all day today.. without too much pain..... and thank God his appitite is back..( Im sure I'll regret this soon)  I did bribe him with dibs.(Little frozen ice cream bites) and that seemed to work. He got up a few times today... and even got from the couch onto the floor!!! and get this...... R U ready??? He Did 2,yes 2 knee bends.... 1 to 40 degrees and 1 to 50.... and the kicker...... he did it without using his hands!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D   It was all leg baby!!! He grunted and grimaced through it... but he did it. That was the look of determination Im used to seeing....  I was a proud momma !  After that he was done... and he has been kinda jokingly being stubborn with me... I think he just wants me to push him... so I can be proud again... but I know that it took alot of effort  every now and again Ill look over at him and he is trying to tighten his Quad, or tighten his kneecap, and I just pretend Im not looking... Now getting up on his feet is another story.... I guess that really hurts... Anyone have trouble like that... laying there is tolerable as far as pain goes... he really has not taken any meds... but to stand... is terrible! He set his foot down today... but cant bear to bear weight...    Baby steps......  I know   baby steps.       He spent most of the day awake.... so he will sleep good tonight! (that means so will I ) yay... 

Trace, he does want a new cover for his phone... apparently it got a scratch on it when he dislocated his knee this last time..... perhaps you are right... a good bribe may get him up... I could tell him if he's up and around  long enough   I'll take him to pick one out.... That may give him incentive to get up more frequently.... He does want the new madden 08 game... he will have to really impress me though...

Bri and jathib... I put a call into the OS, he was in surgery today... but the nurse said it sounds ok, but will have the OS call me tomorrow..... I does look like the brace was just tight.. cause where it swelled up was in between the 2 bottom straps.... I dont know... now Im nervouse.... waiting on the os.....

all in all a good day so far!!!    He is starting to act like himself again... phew.... 

Too all of you who are stuck on the couch...... when the pain gets to be too much.... whistle,   It may not take away the pain , But I have found that the neighbors dog comes running and does a backflip when he reaches the end of his chain.... and thats entertainment..! :o.. hugs........ lori

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2008, 05:56:19 AM »
LOL about the dog trick!!!

Hey Lori,
      Wow, sounds like things are improving and the soreness was just the brace. Also sounds like Tyler is finally on board with the PT WAY TO GO! I know it's so tough, I have a difficult time and I am an adult.

I hope Tyler sleeps through the night so you can, a good nights rest will do you both some good.

Glad to hear the good news and I hope things only continue to get better tomorrow, maybe 3 leg lifts!

~Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair† 9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2008, 12:02:26 AM »
Day 8     yea yea yea I know ups and downs... babysteps....  he is not so motivated today... yes he's doing rom excercises, but I have to nag him about it... the swelling went away overnight with the ice... and the bruise did too..... so I did not worry about it anymore. but..... it just came back!  bigger and purple.... Is it possible to leave the brace on too long... or too tight???

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2008, 04:38:32 AM »
Sorry he's not so motivated today! I am not either, so maybe it's across the board. I am wondering if the bruise didn't go away? Bruises go through a lot of color stages and they spread out more as they are healing, so I wonder if it was maybe lighting tricks or something. I hope that his brace isn't causing all that. Poor kiddo. hope you get things figured out!

~Tabitha
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »
DAY 9

Boredome has officially set in! Tyler seems to think that we cant live another day wouhout ordering the  ShamWOW! the one from Germany, not a cheap immitation.... and we can order the sandwich maker and body shapers...( you get 3 free gifts if you order now) now mind you he is a slim jim, but it will improve his posture!! and he would look taller!   I cant help but laugh at him... but I really do feel bad. He is soooooo bored. He has not had many visitors...and he is beginning to feel like no one cares, or that they have forgotten him. His phone which is normally always ringing.. has not rung in days... Its really effecting his attitude. He is difficult, and un motivated... The pain is fine when he is laying around, but kills when he stands! Is that normal?   Also the bruise on his thigh does go away when he takes off the brace and adds ice... its the strangest thing..... 

Any ideas on how to entertain a 13 year old boy, thats feeling down? PLEASE HELP.  Yesterday I caught him taking a picture of his.... "6 pack abs" with his cell phone  and recording his flatulance to make a new ring tone....     

Tabitha... I hope you are feeling better today....

We are going to therapy this am so maybe that will change things up a bit......

Lori

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2008, 01:05:08 PM »
Hi Lori,

I know exactly how Tyler feels! Not being able to do anything, and feeling that everyone has deserted you. Do you have a Play Station or video games??? I know I play Guitar Hero when all I can do is sit around. That's a pretty good outlet of frustration, and it takes alot of time up in the day. Ummmm, what else. We borrowed my Aunt's Wii to keep me entertained. That was kind of cool because it involved doing things like throwing the baseball. I could do it sitting in my living room, but it felt like I was doing something active. Is there any way you could call anyone to come visit him? I know visitors always passed my days quickly.

As far as the pain goes, yea, I think that is normal. At least it was for me. Even to this day 18 weeks post op, sometimes it is really painful to stand. So, I sit around all day and try not to do much. This board is great to keep a kneegeek occupied! lol.

I hope Tyler feels better soon! Tell him I said to keep his chin up, and things will get better!

Take care!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2008, 01:37:38 PM »
I know I was bored and I am a homebody, it is frustrating that hardly anyone came to visit me but a few people came thru unexpectedly so it was a learning experience for me, of course I am not 13YO.† One thing I learned is that I am going to make an effort to call/visit/send a card to people I know are not well - it does make all the difference.

So........does he like to read?† What about card games or maybe just going outside and watch you water or something.† In the early days I was happy to come downstairs and get out on the deck in the sunlight.....good luck.

His rehab should take up some time, it seems like if I do just the bare minimum that I am supposed to do it takes at least an hour.† I know you are having a hard time getting him to do it but tell him that 7 months after my accident I have gained back 1/2" of the 2" I lost, he will be sorry when he can't keep up with his friends.† I told my hubby that if something was chasing us I would be the one eaten BC I can't keep up with the crowd......LOL, then again I may run past them all with the proper motivation.....

Does he wear his brace all the time?† It does sound like it might be too tight, he could loosen it while he is in bed or on the couch.† Funny how all rehab is different, I had a torn ACL/MCL but only wore the brace for a few days, I was on crutches forever tho' and I think I should have had the brace on more and I could have walked some.

The pain on standing can be quite intense, it does get better tho' so you should be seeing some improvement soon.

Well, sorry to go on over on your thread, hope today is a good knee day for Tyler and you!!!
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »
I dont know if its normal...but it sounds from others like it is when weight bearing, but especially being a teenager you can understand his frustration. Do you have a laptop that he can surf or play music on. X box is a good idea, I see a lot of kids that age with PSPs and all that kind of things. I suppose its keeping the variation.

Has any of his frinds come round, is he up to visitors ?

It is sometimes harder being a Mum and watching on, I think you are doing an amazing job !
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for† subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »
Poor Tyler,
               I know what it's like, I don't get to do much here. I keep updating my resume, and trying to get a job. It must not be very good because I don't seem to get any calls. Arggg....

i know I do movies, and I have a wii that has been pretty entertaining. I want the wii fit for my PT :)

Maybe some game books, or computer games is he can get to it would help entertain him. 13 is a rough age to be homebound and PT doesn't really qualify as entertainment.

I hope he finds something he likes other than farts in the phone, that's only funny for so long you know.  ;D

I am doing better today, except for the cancellation of my PT appointment last minute, that got me a bit upset.

Hope Tyler does well with PT today!! Keep your chin up!

~Tabitha
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »
It took us over an hour to get ready for PT and all we had to do was change clothes ( in which Im quite proud of our little tent system so hes not too creeped out that his mom  may see anything....) brushed his teeth, and combed hair. Which he is not finding out that long hair gets knotty when you dont comb it!  When he got to PT we still dont have approval for an extention from the ins. co, and the visits will cost me 110 dollars per hour. YIKES!! I did not sched his next visit as its the only one left and I need to save it.... He got his rom up to 60...YAY! and did a # of knee bends, again no handed... He was so trying to show off for his PT. I know it hurt like HELLO!  It was funny... neither of them talked, it was akward. Chris just told him what to do, and Tyler did it. He didnt really push him or anything, but at the same time didnt encourage him either.  I noted all the excercises... so we could do them at home, and asked questions about when he should be able to BW... Chris seemed to think  when he can...  wrong answer. Now Tyler will fight me when I try to get him to do it.!  Anyhow we came home and he has pretty much been done for all day! He slept alot.. so I guess he just wore himself out trying to impress Chris.  By the way... getting more purple every day.... kinda blackish.... ewwww.

Joanne, BSG and Lynds..  Still bored. He doesnt want to play the wii.... or the psp. doesnt want to watch any of the movies I got for him, and my laptop is broken.. so all I have is the PC and he cant sit here too long... He probably could, but wont.    only 2 of his friends have come over. 1 cant stand to see him this way, and only pops his head in to chect in... and one comes for a few minutes before bedtime, since he has football practice every day. The others have not called... or stopped by. Its frustrating cause he is normally on the phone.....girls girls girls... or out with his friends. playing ball.I really think he is depressed... Did any of you get really down and yucky like this... I mean, he and I talk, watch tv, and goof around a little... but I KNOW I'm no substitue for real life... I am trying my best to keep his spirits up and be the NAG!!!   

Today, I needed to just get out! I rode my bike to the store about a mile from here... .. no Im not a fitness nut... Im allergic to excercise...ahhhhhchoo! But there has been this CRAZY gas shortage thing going on here in the South East and the lines to get into the gas stations are just insane! I just wanted a Diet pepsi, and a pack of smokes!! I know... bad for me! 

Homebound will begin next week.. so that will occupy his mind... one more thing for me to NAG about.... I swear if we get through this... we will have a GREAT relationship later on in life. I know right now its his job... to aggrivate me, and give me a hard time, I dont expect him to appreciate anything Im doing for him... cause Thats my job! 

Anyhooo thanks for listening to me rant! I thank you all for the ideas... I think Ill try again to get him to go to the Man Cave, or outside, or if I have to...drive around in search of the precious gas... everyone is seeking... Something, anything to get out of this house!!! 
sincerely cooped up in SC...... Lori

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »
Good for you getting out of the house, I am sooo jealous of your bike ride. I want to ride my bike so bad, itís one of my favorite things to do, I only get so many months of the year to be able to do it and this happens to be one of the last ones for a while.

I sure hope the gas shortage doesnít come here. Itís so bizarre all the drama around gas. I think itís all a bunch of political bull.

Thatís great that Tyler got to 60 ROM, now you know what he can do and you can push him a little more tomorrow. I bet he is tired. To bad about the insurance mess surrounding PT, I only get 20 a year so I really have to use them wisely also.

I laughed about your ďtent systemĒ my 7 year old just started worrying about me seeing him undressed, and it made school shopping a nightmare. So we would have to do something similar if we were in the same predicament.

I know what Tylerís going through, when I was a little older than him I had an injury that I was home bound with and all I wanted was my friends. Maybe you could suggest he call and invite friends over, maybe rent a new movie ( I like Speed Racer) and have a movie night and schedule it around his pain meds so he can be comfortable. Or maybe set up a board game and have him invite someone over. ??? maybe ???

Well I hope he finds something that heís interested in. Good luck on your search. :)

~Tabitha
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2008, 04:19:45 AM »
Hi there,
I know that John was very down in the dumps when he reinjured and had his surgery just before school started.  All of his buddies were practicing for football and soccer, even his gf.  We were proactive and whenever anyone asked what they could do we said to have their son/daughter visit.  We also had his close friends/cousin text everyone to come over for campfires or movies.  I also rented a wheelchair just to get him outside right after his surgery.  He now (heading toward week 5 post op) is going to games, school and movies on his own...on crutches of course, but pretty mobile none the less.  Our biggest problem continues to be his lack of motivation to do his exercises.  I was near tears returning from PT tonight.  He got 95 deg. , but the therapists say he should be at 105 or more by now.  He knew I was upset and we had words about it.  He insists he is doing the work, but I just don't see it.  I don't know why he doesn't push more.  I am so down about it.  Oh well, I know I'm the mom I should deal with it.  It is just sooo hard sometimes.  I hope some of this helps to get more buds around Tyler.  hang in there everyday will get better.  John hurt so much in the beginning to stand or walk, but each week he did more and more.  Like I said, he went back to school 11 days post op on crutches.  You will get there too! ;)
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »
3 diggers mom... I understand the disappointment thing.. Tyler was supposed to be up and moving by now ( like John) 11 days back at school...thats awsome! today is day 10 and its just not going to happen. On the otherhand Tylers rom is way better than expected...Maybe if we put the boys together..we would have a Whole recovery.  lol   Dont feel bad about crying... Im getting pretty close.. but as we have been thru PT and recovery before.. I know that it takes time. You can always try the scare tatic... Tell him he will wind up with a stiff knee forever.. and that wont be good when he tries to make a marriage proposal... ( believe it or not , Tyler brought this fear to my attention...and seems to be very concerned about it. AT 13 !!!  ???)  I hate to see them give up or not work as hard as they should because as a mom you want only the best things for them.. They dont really see the long term, kids live in the here and now... as they should..

Tabitha thanks for the suggestion... I think I will sched a party night at my house. Our neighbors are very close, like family, we have several families that are super tight.... the kids have been out doing thier thing, but If I can plan a fun time for them this weekend that may just help...  keep reading as I have a cool distraction I want to tell everone about at the end of this post.

I know that I was in the middle of a post last night...and for the life of me cant seem to find it... So whoever got a 1/2 of a reply from me.. ??? .. Im soooooo sorry! I had an eventfull evening.....

OK.......I know this is not really about T, but feel like I want to share....Last night my friend Becky's daughter came over and busted thru the door screaming and crying... Hysterical.... she was carring her dog Abby, ( a yorkie) saying her eye popped out! They have another dog Tessa, a puppy that I gave them from my dogs litter, about seven months ago.( cockapoo) Apparently they have been fighting alot lately and just not getting along at all!  Anyhow they got into a tiff and I guess Tessa bit Abby. When Megan brought tessa to me, she had blood around her ey and it appeared to be bulging out of the socket. Of course  Becky was on an outing with her youngest daughter at the time ( we are all doing this thing where we spend one on one time with each kid individualy.) Anyhow, I just new... we need to go to the vet.  All of them in our area were closed for the night and the emergency vet is about 25 miles away. Becky met me at my driveway, kids all crying.... her 3, Tyler, who can get up to see whats going on, and My Morgan, was a rock!! I was so proud! She just put her Arms around then and hugged sooooo tight.. telling them its going to be ok... I was so proud! She would normally flip out at something like this, and here she was... Solid and confident that Her mom could fix this... all the while comforting Matthew, age 13, Megan age 12, and Becky's Morgan age 9. ( Yes we have 2 Morgans and they are best friends.)
We took abby to the er vet, I had to drive cause Becky was a wreck, and is not confident when she doesnt know where she is going. They popped her eye back in and stiched her eyelid closed. They think that they are able to save the eye, but wont know about saving vision for 2 weeks. They seem to think that because we acted so quickly, she has a pretty good chance.  The kids are all upset, and I fear they may have to find a new home for Tessa, Its just not fair to keep them in the same house, when they just dont get along. I would hate for something else to happen to either of them... and I think they would both be happier. The kids wont like it tho.  :( 
So we spent the evening at the vet and when I got home ... lol my poor hubby..... had 5 kids... 3 that were crying, 1 that needed help going potty Tyler, and 1 who is a yacker and adores her daddy...My Morgan.... He was just overwhelmed........ poor guy. I mean he walked in, and I drove out! Normally I give him a whole list of stuff to do, or rules to follow, even if Im just going to the store.... lol  he had to fend for himself, and I must say, in his own little way, he handeled it! I was proud! UNTIL......I sat down to watch my evening TV, only to find out that SOMEONE CANCELED MY RECORDING OF  SURVIVOR!!!! 
GRRRRRRRRRRRR Anger!!!!! I was mad. but no one did it.  Does no one live at any of your houses? Noone does alot around here! GRRRRRR >:(    Now I dont know if Tyler just wanted to escape the situation.....but I must have scared the Poo out of him! Cause at that moment, he decided that he need to GO! Which made me happy  :) since it has been 10 days... and nothing... so we scooted him up the stairs..backwards, and got him to the throne. He spent alot of time in there and I just knew that could not be good... Potty got clogged, overflowed.... :'( This is just not my night!!  Got him back downstairs, cleaned the mess, and reminded Tyler its ok.... again..... he felt like it was his fault... which it was, but I was not going to blame him for anything, and I really cant be mad... It happens....   I got setteled in an was going to watch Greys.....Season premier.... YAY   when my husband came to tell me OH!!! You got an email... wink wink... Yes honey, I know homebound is going to start next week... no.. you got another one.. wink wink... I got up to check my email.... I had sent an Email to the Harlem globetrotters, asking the fan club to possibly send Tyler some encouraging words to his email....  Special K Daley e -mailed me directly... and said " he would rather speek to Tyler personally, and when would be a good time to call him?" Are you kidding me???? Tyler LOVES " Special K". Hes the star on the team...and Tyler got a photo with him last march when we went to a Globetrotters game! I cant wait to see the look on his face when he gets that call !!! ;D ;D ;D  never in a million years would I think they would actually call... I doubted the whole email thing. I was just trying anything to lift his Spirits.... But if anyone else know how to get Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Tyler Hansboro, Kevin Garnett, or Yau Ming.... Let me know.  Seriously.... I am so excited for Tyler.... He is going to be thrilled about this.... I have to keep it a secret until it happens tho... cause I dont know when it will be.   :-X     

So as you can see I had an array of emotion last night..... oh and I know the 1st step is admitting to it..  s o      here goes..........Hello my name is Lori , and Im addicted to KG!

Thank you for supporting me..... Ill post   about  Tyler later as he is still asleep and I have no news.... I have to go, The moms in my neighborhood have this thing we do on Fridays, when the kids are in school.... its called Kitchen [email protected]#$in. ( it rhymes) Its helpd keep us sane... kinda like KG.... but we talk about family, hubbies... ect...

Hugs to all who want ,or need one.... Ill check back in a bit.......... sorry this was a long post.

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »
Hi ya Lori,

Wow you've certainly been having a rollercoaster of events!!

That is so nice of the Harlem globetrotters to offer to call Tyler, he will be so excited and it will probably give him the lift he needs. You saying that has given me an idea of something else you could suggest Tyler could do to help his boredom. How about writing to celebrities that he likes and asking for their autograpgh? If you send a stamped addressed envelope its amazing how many will send you a signed photo for free. We have done it quite a bit in the past and have lots of footballers, pop stars and TV celebrities. Our most impressive one is Steven Spielberg!! You can usually find addresses for people on the web either through their websites or you find out who there management is and send it to them. If you send it to their management though you must make sure you address it FAO "celebrities name" and also mark it as private and confidential, this will ensure it is opened by them and not their agent. Not everyone replies but its amazing how many you here back from in the end.  Its very exciting when you send out a load and then they start coming back.  :)

How's your friend's dog now? Is their anyway you could have one of the dogs for your friend, then the kids would still get to see her regularly? I'm the biggest soft touch going lol I would rescue so many animals if I had the chance, my hubby forbids me to go to any animal rescue shelters casue he knows I will come back with loads lol.

Trace
23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

support