Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 75240 times)

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 04:16:41 PM »
I too would call the insurance company, when does your year start over again?  If Tyler will comply with home exercises then maybe he can do them on his own but it very important to get the extension quickly, if he won't comply then you may be better off seeing the PT, think of it like a gym membership, if you talk to them some offices will charge you the rates they charge for insurance rather than the full on rate so that would be a small break anyway.

In another week he should be feeling better and able to move around, just try and keep a 13 YO down huh??  I hope you are feeling better yourself!!
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008, 05:11:16 PM »
Hi there, I wrote you a long note , but took to long to finish it and lost it.  I am so frustrated, but will write later.  My son is 15.  Had open surgery on 8/23 and our stories are very similar.  Hang in there mom, it does get better every day. 
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline datapopp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 05:19:33 PM »
jathib: Annie started seeing this Chiropractor who once again specializes in neuromuscular development and sports rehab not back adjustments  :D...and let me tell you he knows his stuff.  He gave her exercises that built up her vmo faster than her PT did in 2 months....not to say that there are not quacks out there just saying they are not all quacks.   Like any other person who is working with this type of injury whether it is the PT or the OS, etc.  you must make sure they have experience in the area and come recommended.

How is Tyler this am???   I looked up the BWS you were talking about.  Sounds like your family and Tyler have had alot of challenges to deal with.  How tall does the doctor think Tyler will get?

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 08:53:02 PM »
Here is part of my son John's story....I copied it from my initial post here.....Hi I am the mother of a 15 year-old who began with subluxation problems approximately one year ago.  It was the first jv soccer game of his freshman year and his left knee subluxed.  We were very naive and had no idea what was ahead of us.  He began PT a couple times a week and wore a brace, but was out of soccer for the season.  He then subluxed again in Oct. '07 while playing pickup bball at our local Y, and then had to have arthro surgery as he had a loose body in his knee.  He continued with rehab and then got in his first jv bball game in Dec. and lasted about 15 min. before he subluxed again with his brace on. 
He continued with rehab and by Spring was seeming to be doing well.  He got another brace-a donjoy and it seemed to work better.  He played AAU basketball, went to Duke U. bball camp (a family vaca), and played in our local Gus Macker 3:3 and was fine.  We should have left well enough alone (hindsight is so painful!), but we let him play another 3:3 where he subluxed his other (right knee) on August 17.  He fractured the cartlilage behind the patella and had open knee surgery on 8/23.  The OS put 3 tiny screws in and he is now on crutches for 10 weeks and doing the PT 2x a week.  In Nov. he will have another surgery...initially arthroscopic where the OS will manipulate the knee and decide if he can leave the screws in or not.  We would lean toward him getting the screws out which will mean another open surgery, but would rather not have to go later if there were issues with the screws.  Our son and family have been devastated by this (he will lose his sophomore year of sports too) and feel looking back that we have been so naive about everything.  He does have patella alta and grew 8in. in 2 years.  While not an elite athlete he has always been a competitive athlete. He is left footed and started in soccer and is a natural point guard.  He has lived to play HS sports.  He is my oldest and has 2 younger bros., 13 and 11.
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 10:06:29 PM »
jathib: Annie started seeing this Chiropractor who once again specializes in neuromuscular development and sports rehab not back adjustments  

Sorry, but chiropractors do not go to medical school, they don't do internships or residencies and they don't even go through the same education process as physical therapists. A PT with a Masters or Doctorate has far more medical education. Chiros are in no way qualified to rehab a knee after serious surgery. I doubt any orthopedic surgeon would even accept a report from a chiro. They can do serious damage. You may have found one that has some other schooling but he is probably the only one.

Offline datapopp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 10:51:37 PM »
Well we will just have to disagree...ours came highly recommended,is wonderful, the insurance covers him, and our doctor works with him  :).

Davori;  you said you went by Tyler school..is he already listed as Homebound,  is he getting any support with his schoolwork.  The only thing Annie's has done is told us to get her homework off edline.  The support comes if she is out over 2 weeks.

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
 GRRRRR day 4.
Our insurance starts over in December... I am hoping that they will just extend it. I called the OS office yesterday to get more meds, discuss the school note and about the PT. The OS was off and will leave him a note about the PT, but in her experience the PT has to try to get it extended. Sometimes the Doctor can just write a note to in ins.company requesting more visits, but it is very often denied. The OS has asked for 8 weeks of PT for Tyler 3 x per week for this knee... so Im guessing Il just have to wait and see.. as far as the chirocrackter..(I just combined datapops and jathib's words..lol) goes I guess Ill just have to see what happens..I just like to have all my I's dotted and T's crossed so when uncertainty is thrown into the mix... I get all jumbled up.

Diggers mom... wow it sounds like my son. and Im so glad to see you have made it this far... we are only on day 4 so maybe you can let me know what else to expect from t.h.i.s.  d.a.r.l.i.n.g.  a.n.g.l.e. .....

last night he had a friend come over to play star wars mini's..(a board game I'm not sure how to explain) and he seemed to be in great spirits... he started to play a second game , got it all set up and decided he just could not do it and needed to rest... so company left... and my husband came home and made hamburgers on the grill.  Im so gladtoo. My friend Becky came over while we were at PT and mopped the floor ran the vac. and picked up a little... and wanted to make dinner so I could get some rest.. I refused the offer for dinner, I could do that myself.. I mean its not like Im the one that had surgery... But by the time it came for me to cook dinner, I really wished I had not turned her down... But Hubby saved the day! YEA!!! Tyler only ate 1 burger.. unusual... but I gave him some pain meds and he and I fell asleep. That was at 9pm... I woke up at 8 this am, and he was still asleep. He said he tried to wake me up but I didnt hear him. Im a light sleeper and was only 5 feet away from him so I must have been out like a light.  ... I woke him up and gave him some meds, and we both went back to sleepand woke up at noon......My daughter, bless her sweet little heart, made her own breakfast... and even made orange juice,,, mmmmmm. it was kinda weak because she only used 1 can of concentrate, and a gallon of water, and most of the concentrate ended up on the floor, counter, and sink.... but it was nice and cold for Tyler and I when we woke up!!!! YUM> She is so thoughtfull.  :-\   

This afternoon Tylers best friends grandmother made him a special linch. His favorite. Fried Chicken and homemade cornbread. When she brought it over he really came to life! Im telling you, the boy loves food. ! We bribed him into taking a shower when he was done.  He only ate 1/2 of it.. but thats ok, I didnt want him to get sick, since he has not been eating a bunch... and we began our journey up the stairs to the shower...

We had a good system to get up there.. he turned around and sat on the stairs, I held the leg, and he raised him self up one step at a time... when we got to the top.. he said"now what?  Niether uf us were very comfortable with him trying to stand up on the un operated leg...( w'll call that the good leg for sake of not confusing anyone. But just know thats not the good leg.Its very weak, and Im really afraid its going to go out on him.) Anyhow we get him to a standing possition.... at the top of the stairs, and .......   Ill post the rest in a minute... Morgan is back home and I think Yler needs me....... be right back

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 01:00:41 AM »
OK... Sorry about that... To make a long story short, I got the shower chair out of the attic, and tried to get him in the tub... it did not work! His legs are too long and he wont fit. So we tried my bath tub in my room cause it bigger.... again it did not work.. Tyler was uncooperative and I know its because his modest.. he did not want his mom to give him a bath. Then he pulled out the pain card... at that point I was just tired of trying to figure this out, so I just took off the brace, took off the bandage... and he began to feel sick. I wet the wash cloth for him and unsympotheticly told him to was wash up as far as possible.. wash down as far as possible.... then wash possible.   He did his best wiyhout getting undressed, then wanted me to re wrap his leg. The OS said to take the bandage off on Saturday, and leave it off after the shower. I really didnt listen to him though... I just put the brace back on, gave him a clean shirt, and handed him some deoderent. When he started to come back down stairs, he felt really ill, weak, hot and his ears were ringing. He went and layed down on my bed... and there he stayed... he He really looked green... he was all sweaty ( so much for washing up) and I feel terrible! ..I really thought he was just modest and frustrated... but he really was in pain.!  I couldnt get anyone to help me get him downstairs safely, so he stayed there till my husband came home from work. ... Im not sure why Im so angry today... but I think it really hit me... If anything happens to him up stairs.... I am not physically able to help him.... He is my child, but I could not catch him if he fell or even teatered on the stairs.... very scary thought.  Anyhow hes back downstairs, exhaused from his 3 hour shower and the ordeal of it all...

the incision looks great! he is afraid of it, but I have to say... its going to heal very nice! I just wish he would have washed.
He also wont do any bend excersises... it wont get better if he wont help... I feel the angry mom coming out and its a fine line between babying him cause it hurts and telling him to suck it up and deal with it! Todays lesson   If he says it hurts... It hurts... but I can totally see him using it to get out of doing what he doesnt want to. I have not learned how to tell the difference........ yet.

brianne

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 01:17:07 AM »
Lori,

When it comes to bending and working on ROM, you need to make Tyler push through the pain.  Its going to hurt him to work on bending, but it needs to be done.  I am sure that it is hard because as your child you do not want to see him in pain.  Remind him that if he wants to return to sports then he has to work through the pain.

He will have pain, there is not any way around that.  Remind him of that.  He is not going to be able to avoid this pain. 

Brianne

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 02:28:26 AM »
Thanks Brianne..... I needed to hear that. but I guessed as much. He says it hurts too much. He has only done the bending 1 time today... he got to 30 degrees  so he says... I didnt see it. he said it feels really stiff.... I took the ice away, and Im not giving it back till he does more reps.... I feel like such a meanie.. and a nag. but he is supposed to be doing them every 1 and a half hrs.   Its frustrating because when he has company over, ie the neighbors, friend, or  even family... dad sister... he is MR Cool.... Its hurts's he says.. but for the most part, he is so ....whatever and matter o fact... But when its me and him.... its the worst!  He seriously... gets exhausted from putting on a front for people. As soon as they leave, he's asleep again, sometimes before they get out of the room.... Why do boys have to pretend its ok.... when its not? Why not just say, it hurts... Im not up for company....I just dont get it!  I am really beginning to think they think Im exaggerating his pain. because they dont see it!!!! I do! Even my husband doesnt see what I do.  Maybe thats making me angry today also... Everything is making me angry today.... and he is obviously getting frustrated too.  oh well  tomorrow is another day.... this too shall pass.

brianne

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 02:35:38 AM »
His knee will be INSANELY stiff for a long time.  There is no way around that.  Remind him that the more he works on bending it the easier it will get.  If he does not bend it then it will get more and more painful and his recovery will only be that much more painful.

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2008, 03:51:41 AM »
Lori,

I know my mother feels the same frustration as you about me. What you said about Tyler putting on a front for people is exactly what my mother says about me. I will admit to doing it too. I think I just want to be as normal as I can, and I don't want people treating me differently, just because I am going to be an invalid for a while. lol. When it's just mom and I, I don't have to worry about being strong or tough. My mom is probably the only person that knows exactly what I am going through, besides my kneegeek friends. I don't necessarily think that is a good thing either. So, I don't think it is just a boy thing, but an injured person thing. Just wanting to be strong and reassure everyone else. Unfortunately, it puts so much stress on mom. I can imagine it is frustrating for you as well.

As far as the anger goes, that is totally normal, I think. My mom and I usually have a great relationship, but about 3 days after I came home from the hospital she and I just clashed. It wasn't pretty, and eventually after a couple hours we both cooled down and apologised. I think it is because we spent soooo much time together, and I am not used to completely relying on her for every little thing.

Hope you have a good night and a good day tomorrow! Take care!

Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline TeitgeORPrincess

• Forum Faithful
  • Grissom's MINE
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2008, 04:01:27 AM »
Wow...that is an intense post op story.....I don't even really know what to say except good luck with everything....I know it's really hard, especially for a special needs chlid (my brother has some pretty bad learning disabilities, nothing similar in condition to your son, but he's still abnormal academically, so I sort of understand, although I don't claim to...) and such a big deal surgery...eeesh. Keep him up on his pain med schedule, that's highly important (I've learnt that the hard way after 5 surgeries ;p) and encourage him...That is one thing I have found that's gotten me through all five (will be 6 next summer) surgeries w/ Teitge is encouragement from family, friends, my church (they pray for me every week) and so many others here on KG...Good luck and luv ya'lll

PS, my post op diary is on here too, if you're interested....lol It's "Rotational Osteotomy #3" or something similar...it's by TeitgeORPrincess if that helps.

Good luck and thinking of you

Cheers love

Amberle
~*Dr. Robert Teitge's Princess and BIGGEST Fan~*
3 Rotational Osteotomies, 2 Plate Removals at
Deroit Medical Centre Surgery Hospital.
"You're the Queen!!" -Kathy-
Ruler of X-Ray, Queen of the O.R and Princess of Dr. Teitge's Office.
I support Britney Spears

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »
Hi again.  Sounds exactly like what John and I went through.  I kept him downstairs the first 5 days and gave him "sponge baths" in the kitchen right off of our living room, where we slept on couches.  He stood over the sink for a few minutes bent over while I washed his hair quick then sat in a chair with just shorts on while I washed with the washcloth and soap.  When it came to the shorts area we put on towel on his lap, pulled off the shorts and left the room so he could wash up.  This seemed to at least make him feel clean.  With deodorant and clean clothes he was pretty happy.  I know also that he didn't eat much that first week either, that combined with constipation was not good.  We started giving him Colace pills a stool softener to help out.  It did work slowly and he was "normal" in about 2 wks.  The other thing about not eating, taking pain meds and trying to get him around was he did get naseous and almost passed out after a post op dr. visit, so do try to get him to eat something, crackers, anything to get something in his stomach with the meds.  JOhn was definitely better with friends around.  He seemed "normal" but was a BEAR when it was just us.  The getting him around was another huge hurdle.  I rented a wheelchair just in case he wanted to be where his friends were, but we only used it a couple times outside when we had campfires and invited the friends over.  That is important...trying to keep them involved the best you can.  I didn't want him to just sit and be swallowed up in the pain and frustration of it all.  Now our big issue 4 wks out is getting him to do the ROM exercises.  He just doesn't make them priority and we have to get after him all the time about it.  It does make me ANGRY and sad all at the same time.  Hope Tyler is doing okay today.  One day at a time.  Hang in there.  I'll be thinking of you.
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
Day 5     
 lets just say that I wont be winning any mom of the year awards........ :'(
Tyler is feeling sick to his stomach today... but he wont eat anything.... not crackers, toast, pudding, not even cornbread! Ill give him some time on that today... He woke up asking for ice... I said no. Not until he does some Rom excercises... He himmed ans hawed... and tried to negotiate with me,, after the ice he said... No! I said. I explained to him that I understand it hurts.. but this is one battle I WAS GOING TO WIN, and he needed to get used to me nagging about it. When he refused to do them on his own, I did them for him..... now he wont admit it, but it was not as bad as he thought it would be.  Then I gave him some ice, hes hapily asleep and Im just happy I won! While doing the ROM's I explained to him that today he was going to get up and brush his teeth... and possibly change locations, we have walled in sun room that we call the "MAN CAVE" so Im putting him out there today. I need to air out my couch, and I think the change will do him some good. I think by setting some small goals for him, and laying down the ground rules... will stop him from getting to down on himself. Dont get me wrong... My heart still aches for him... and Im not trying to be unsympethic... but I have put on my game face... because his future is at stake!   Any how... my next work out is coming up soon... (man it really works my back and tricepts.) who'd a thunk a leg could be so heavy!!!  My goal today is to have him tired of me doing them for him... and he will start doing them himself!   wish me luck.....   

Diggers mom... thanks for the post, I think I will slip him a softener today... its been 6 days... not a good thing with his bowell history.

Princess.... Tyler is no longer a special needs child.... he is perfectly normal... acedemiclly, he just has physical issues every now and again...ok , more than most, but nothing like what the doctors told me he'd be..... 5 surgeries??? Dear God, how on earth did you manage to keep your spirits up? I really hope we dont have any others to look foward to. Getting through these 2 are going to be character building enough for us...  Prayers certainly do help. I skipped church today to stay hom with T.... the service is supposed to be an raising kids.. and boundries... figures...   gotta go work my tricepts.. lol  talk to ya soon.   Lori