Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 78843 times)

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #270 on: November 13, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »
Hi Kg's.....  Ok.... 1st let me say that the pic is not my daughters room.... its my kitchen, but her room is very cute... I painted it pink and of course it began with Disney princesses.... but she is growing up a little now, and is more into Hannah montanna and High school musical now... All my neighbors laugh at me cause of the colors I choose for my house... but i cant help it... I like the feel of sunshine, even when its gloomy....... So my house looks like an easter egg..... lol ( Not really...but some of it does...lol)
Tylers room is really cool.... I painted it Chrome.... and he has chalkboard sillouetts (life size) on the walls... I think its too dark... but he likes it...Den is lime, and bathrooms are Carolina blue... except mine, which is pink ..but its going to change to lavender... I just cant seem to come up with a color to paint my living room... I dont want it to be drab...but I do want it to flow with the yello and lime..??? lol I have been pondering that for over a year now..... My wall has swatches of different colors taped to it.. but I just cant decide on one I like..... I NEED the bright, cheery in the winter, and cripst clean in spring summer....since that is where I spend most of my time... I want it to look FRESH...

Tyler went to PT yesterday... on 2nd post op knee his ROM is 102.... YAY! he is now walking with out the crutches at home.... and he even did some leg presses at PT... Very good day at PT... Very encouraging... She showed us how to do deep tissue massage on the scar so it will be less visable.. and said lots of possitive things about his workout.... Im excited... He is finally on the road to recovery... now its just work work work.......

I went to the school. Apparently the teacher that he had doing his homebound  ( who is one of his core teachers and is GREAT) is just too busy these days to continue... she sent me an email saying she was trying to find another teacher to help him with math, since the rest of the work he can pretty much do independantly.... without help.... But when I got to the school, I found out she wants to transfer him to another teacher.... ( The French teacher stepped up)  So mayby I dont understand, but it sounds like she is quitting as his homebound teacher, and she took it upon herself to find a replacement.... ? I dont know.... I do know that his SS teacher left a bunch of work for him to do, the MATH teacher gave us almost a full semester of work to catch up on.... and English teacher told him they were doing a project with the science teacher and he has to write a Thesis on a planet......from the looks of the ruberic, its a very complicated paper, and without the class instruction... he may not do as well as he would normally. But I guess we will get thu it....... He has a ton to do in 2 weeks..... I dont know why they did not give us this before... its not like I did not try... now he has to get ALL caught up before he goes back or he will be LOST.........especially in math... He is still in the chapter from the 1st week of school... the rest of the class is finishing chapter 5.... and its cumlitive... so he has to do it progressivly... to catch up....GRRRRRRR I was sooooooo angry last night.  I would not be so mad if they had not told me to NOT WORRY about his grades.... but to NOW find out that they are holding him to the same grade standards as the rest of the class... even tho he cant possibly take the quizzes on the class activities.....he just gets a zero. and its calculated as part of his grade... I just dont think its fair!  We are NOT looking for any freebie grades... He is willing to EARN his grades.....but its almost like whats the point in trying soooooo hard, when you know you WONT get a fair grade  anyway ?   I will encourage him to do his best... but I dont think I can fault him for not wanting to.....I think a bribe is in order now... I hate to do it... but I have to motivate him.....He has always been a very good student.... and now ..... well its going to be hard......
Tyler stopped by the gym.... coach was in his office and Tyler waited very patiently, but the coach kinda just brushed him off.... I think he was busy, but Tyler thinks hes mad at him....The team does not look as good as he thought they would... I guess alot of the really GOOD players.. either havent got the grades   or got transfered when they re zoned..... So once again   we are back to   "I let the team down.....and coach is mad at me"   grrrr

Sorry this is so long.... but I just needed to vent.... now I need to go wake the sleeping giant....and get crackin on this school work......Ill have to break it into managable parts.....its going to be a huge undertaking.... but Im up for the challenge... lets hope he is... lol    Wish me luck.....
           Hugs   Lori

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »
Oh Wow!  That message is a whole lot of stress for both of you.  Sorry to hear it Lori.

I can't believe the coach just blew him off.  How rude!  If anything a coach is supposed to be encouraging him and trying to cheer him up. 

And all that homework?  Eeek!  Sounds like a ton!  Maybe it will be a good focus for Tyler though.  He'll be so busy studying he won't have time to dwell on the knee. 

Great to hear PT is going well and he's walking some without crutches.  Wow!  He really is recovering quickly with that 2nd surgery.  That's fantastic!  Good job by both of you! 
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2008, 07:14:58 PM »
Lori....Bright is good!! :) I love bright!! I love to watch Extreme Home Makeover, and I always notice how they decorate the house. If its dark wood, dark furnishings....or light wood, bright, happy furnishings. I love yellows, greens, tans, light colors. And Im a sucker for hearts!  :DMy kitchen is done in blue. I made a border above my cabinets of wooden hearts, painted blue to color coordinate with my kitchen. My livingroom is done in green and tan, but I also have hearts in there. Once things settle down here, we are going to make a decision about whether we want to buy this house (when Rick and I got serious, we got this, as my apt. was small) OR, look for another or possibly build. But right now thats on the back burner. At any rate, you can bet it will all be bright and cheery! ;D

So glad Tyler had such a great PT session. That must make you feel soooo good! :) Hes done very well. Two major surgeries in such a short period of time drain you, even if you are only 13. Before long, he will be back to his old self...shooting some hoops, etc. Im sorry his coach didnt acknowledge him the way he really needed to be acknowledged. That sucks. You would think he would have been happy to see him and would have encouraged him all he could. :-\ Maybe, like you said, he was extremely busy and just having a bad day. Dont let him get down. Just keep encouraging him....

And the whole school thing is ridiculous! >:( School definitely just isnt the same as it used to be. Its a shame that this homebound thing has turned out like this. All you can do is a little at a time so he doesnt get overwhelmed. As long as he does his best, thats what counts. And I too would be angry about him getting 0's for quizzes. Thats not right....not al all! >:( I think Id have to argue that one. I mean, cmon, depending on how many quizzes they take...that can be alot of points. But hang in there. Before you know it, this will all be behind you guys and things will be back to normal. Will he go back before Thanksgiving??

.....Ahhhh.....Thanksgiving. :D Then Christmas! ;D So much to do, so little time. Im due to start my baking here soon. If you noticed the pic of the cookie table at my wedding, we had 22 different kinds of cookies....I made 14 of those. And I always do alot of baking for Christmas. Ill start here real soon, and freeze them. Kind of a tradition. Hope my kids keep it up in the years down the road. :)

Enjoy the rest of your day.......

hugs....DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
Donna.... He is supposed to go back to school on Dec 1st. but yesterday the OS gave me a blank note if I feel he is able to go back sooner   or later.... probably sooner if I can help it.....
I love the Holidays..... Since we moved down south... and missed our family so much I have started traditions in our neighborhood.. with the families that are also transplants.... It started out small... then each year it grows and grows.... I have made a special plate for each person that comes to holiday dinner... for example  my plate has a family tree on it cause I love Geneaology... Daughter is ladybugs.. hubby is a bills fan.. neighbor loves angels... music,pepsi, baseball, basketball, art, everyone has a unique plate with a blessing on the back... The kids love it! Everyone wants to say their blessing at dinner time. Its really funny... but we patiently let everyone say their blessing...... I currently have 31 plates... if that tells you how big this has gotten.! I am the mom that makes christmas cookies with the kids every year, and tho they are all getting older... they still want to do it... so we do... we have also started making candy... and we deliver them to all the other neighbors......I do the easter eggs... and and for EVERY Holiday we do a hunt! Most are a little too "old to do easter egg hunts now" so for every holiday I make up a picture hunt... I send them out.. into the city, with a responsible driver to take pre determined pics of their group....ie.... take a pic with Santa.. and they have to go find a Santa... or they get creativity points..... take a pic of someone kissing under the mistletoe... ( one group came back with the dads kissing lol )   I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS>>>> mostly cause I love to watch the kids......So I dont mind all the activity at my house........the cleanup is messy... but its the only time I really dont mind.... I still grumble about it... but thats just me.... I LOVE it ! By the way... i cant remember who was talking about pumpkin cookies.... But who ever it was.... pm me the recipie... PLEASE...
Hugs   Lori

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #274 on: November 14, 2008, 01:09:15 AM »
Hi Lori,
Man the school thing is not right!  I hate it when they just don't seem to get how frustrating and hard this is.  >:( I would not stand for them giving T zeroes, no way.  You give them a piece of your mind and don't let them do that to him.  I can't believe they would even suggest it.  You need to let them know you have been trying, but were not given any responses.  What is up with the coach too?  Is he someone you could give a call?  Would he be receptive to this?  It's not like your a parent asking him to play your kid, you just want to let him know how disappointed T is about the season and that it would mean a lot if he would consider having him on the bench and still part of the team.  We are blessed to have a great coach, who insisted John be on the varsity bench....he even made him do 222 push-ups for being 2min. late to practice the Saturday before his surgery.  I loved it, cuz John-boy was like....what's the hurry, I can't play anyway.....Ha ha ha, loved it.  He is definitely part of the team.  The coach even came to see him a couple nights ago here at the house. 
Wow Christmas is the best here.  We have a big family....hubby is youngest of 7....and we all get together at our house, it is a big house, but feels small when we are all together.  Hubby is like Clark Griswold when it comes to decorating.  You sound like you make everything fun, great memories for the kids.  Good for you, your family and friends are lucky to have you!  Well, hang in there and stay tough for T.   ;)
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #275 on: November 14, 2008, 01:58:16 AM »
Bummer for Tyler for the coach to act that way.  He probably didn't really mean anything by it - men are generally pretty dense - but I can see whaere it hurt T's feelings.  Might not be a bad idea to call him and explain the situation to him, is he generally ok?  Maybe he just had something on his mind.

The school thing is bizzare, what a state our country's education system is in, but....that's a discussion for another thread/website.  I too love the holidays, Halloween is my fav', I love anything pumpkin, we even have a black cat who's my little snugglebunny.

Hmmmm, the plate thing sounds interesting, this year you will have to do one with a knee on it and set a place for all us KGs.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #276 on: November 14, 2008, 02:00:12 PM »
I always have a plate out for the unexpected guest.... So I guess a knee plate would be cool.... Ill need to design a really cool one.....hmmmmmm does anyone know how to draw a Donjoy post op locking brace? lol 
Ok so last night I was so MAD I wanted to cry.... They have pawned Tyler off on another teacher...and did not even have the courage to tell me.....I though things were going well... but apparently they just dont have the time for him.....  I understand that its a busy time, and would understand if they had even talked to me about it.... but they said nothing... I leaves me wondering  What did we do to make them mad? His new teacher is very good a talking Tyler thu the math lessons he has missed... he has a way to talk to him that Tyler understands... and that is GREAT! but honestly... he kinda scares me ... He is the absent minded professor.... lol he lost the work the teachers gave him, he lost the math book...and is really nrevouse around me... kinda awkward and shy... and really disorganized... Im worried he wont get things turned in, or he will lose things... but as long as I keep a list for him and stay on top of things we will get thu it....I had to make a list of things for him to get from the other teachers... he put it in a folder.... and put in in a drawer in his class and told ME to remember where he put it...eeeeek  His Core teachers gave him a CRAPLOAD of work.. and due dates! Its CRAZY the amount of work he has to do..... many of the assignments are class  group projects... and he has to do them by himself......Chapters and chapters....of work.... hand outs and MATH>>>> The one that kills me is the LA/Science project... He has to write a Thesis on an planet...using 25 notecards... at least 8 source cards, bibliography, parenthetical documentation and thats just the research part  then he has to write the paper... then he has to make a web cast,powerpoint,or a physical display to present to the class....These people are PSYCHO! the other students get to do it as a group.... he has to do it on his own... with no instruction, or guidance from the teachers.....  and like I said that not even the half of what he has to do....... Its overwhelming to me! I can only imagine for Tyler.... He actually told me last night that he wants to just do 8th grade over again...He would rather fail, than be under this much pressure.... ( which by the way, when he is under pressure from tests n such.... he has a tendancy to have minimal seizures....)  he is a perfectionist  and this is alot for him!  all I can say is yeeee gads.... pray for us!  I gotta go get him up.... he has PT early today, and a TON of home work to do... I calculated  that if he works 6 hours a day he might be able to get this work done in 2 weeks... then they will give him more... and thats NOT factoring in the new teacher.....geeesh... Well see....
Gotta stay possitive... Im really trying! :P   Hugs   Lori

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #277 on: November 14, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
Oh Davori, I am DREADING those years of school with my kid, I don't know how you do it!  Can you request a professional tutor instead of a teacher? My sister in law has a master in teaching but is a professional tutor. She just tutors a fedw kids a week, and she is hired by the school district for some of them and some of them pay privately. IT would be something to ask about since they can't seem to manage to keep one of there teachers???

I hope that you are feeling better, I kind of skimed thorugh and didn't see anything about weather you were or not.  I am glad that Tyler seems to be healing quicker this time. Poor kid has had so much to deal with! At least he's got a good support system (you).

Well hope you get your situation with the school worked out.

Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #278 on: November 14, 2008, 10:34:11 PM »
Well, I think its time for a sit down with the teachers to discuss this situation.  It is obviously not fair and to be honest I just think they need to hear what T. is up against here.  I work in a school and sometimes teachers just need to hear the situation to gain some perspective.  Its not that they mean to be insensitive, sometimes they just don't get it until you plead your case.  If that fails then you need to go above them to the principal.  In light of T's extensive medical history and what you noted about his seizures he would even be elligible to be offered an accomodation plan under Section 504 which is a federal statue that protects students who aren't in need of special education, but do have something that interferes with their learning....you can get an accomodation plan for him that fits his needs...reduced homework, extended deadlines, whatever he needs to accomodate what is going on with him.  We have also toyed with the idea of John repeating a year....he doesn't know that, but it might give him another year to experience all the things he is missing out on.  I doubt he'd go for it, but we have thought about this.  Please don't let them push you around on this.  Let them know what's up.  Hang in there! ;)
1/08-8/08 PT

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »
Definitely talk with the teachers, principal, super...whomever you need to until someone listens.  I don't think any of it is personal it's just that everyone is so busy and involved in their own lives that you have to jump up and down to get attention.  There's no way they can expect him to do all that by himself.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline rouprak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
Hi Lori,

Woooowsers! Just been catching up on the last few days of your posts and cant believe about the school! It really is awful and must be so hard for you as a mum who is trying to care for a child who has just had  2 major knee ops and also trying not to let it affect his grades etc. You would hope that the school would be as helpful as possible seeing that itys so important for him and also for them to keep him up to date as much as possible with the class! You must be tearing your hair out!

Going from one teacher to the other -they sound like they have no idea what to do! All you can do is just do your best for Tyler and do as much as you can with him during the day, as well as factoring in tiredness and of course the PT! That take sup good chunks of the day too!

Just hang in there and keep telling yourself that you and him are both doing AMAZINGLY  :D well and the best is all that you can do. YOu are a fighter and cant see you taking any crap from the teachers. He is lucky to have you as many parents may not bother!

Hope you are now also back to top health after your sickness last week!

UK is getting ready for Christmas and i am getting excited. Sad to be missing all the parties in London. I love London at Christmas and going out in the cold and having mulled wine and mice pies! Being at my parents house is fabulous but i only have 2 friends around here and is about 2 1/2 hours from London so cant quite invite my friends over for a drinks party! ha ha!

Love your ideas of the plates! Fantastic idea! I esp loved the idea ( cant remember who suggested) of doing the knee one! Very apt!

Anyway i must go, Mum about to light a nice log fire and going to settle down and watch Strictly Come Dancing ( i thinik you have a similar show in UK)

Take care and keep your chin up!

Love George xox
1992 - Growing pains!!!
1996 - ACL injury skiing
2003 - Charity wlak 60km! AGONY, MISTAKE
2003-2008 PHYSIO
24 Oct 08 - TTT/LR
Jan 2010- screw removal, arthroscopy and chondroplasty

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »
Don't know what to say that hasn't already been said.  Sorry you and Tyler are still struggling so much Lori.  Sending positive thoughts, hugs, and a few stiff drinks too.  What's your favorite?
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #282 on: November 17, 2008, 08:13:03 PM »
ANYTHING TEQUILLA!  But at this point...if it contains alchohol....IM GAME!   I bribed Tyler with Boston Celtics tickes...they will be playing the Charlotte Bobcats at the end of the month....if he gets all this caught up....He gets to go to the game!  I hate bribing... but he deserves some reward for all the hard work....   will post more later....Hubby is home this  WHOLE WEEK....YAY ( vacation) so I have to go entertain him..... lol    Hugs   Lori

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #283 on: November 17, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »
Well I hope entertaining hubbie brings you welcome relief and de-stresses you Lori - you so deserve it.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

I am sorry life has been so stressful, everyone else has said it, so what can I add to it....want to come over to mine for a girls night. Everyone welcome and we can have a wee cocktail or two. Please hang in there - you are doing amazing !!!!!

Love and hugs :-*
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline 3Diggersmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #284 on: November 18, 2008, 12:46:28 AM »
Hmmm, a Margarita, yum!!!  I'm game  ;D 
 Tickets to a game, that sounds so cool...I bet he is psyched, how is his stress?  You mentioned that he has small seizures if too stressed out.  I hope the work is doable for him.  The school should give him a break.  So the hubby is home for a week?  Maybe it will take some of the load off of you?  Or do you need to work overtime now?   I know when hubby and I were off one day together after John's surgery we drove each other nuts.  That's not usually the case, but I think we were just nervous about his pain, etc.  Well, hope your week is smooth.  Keep up the great work!!   ;)
1/08-8/08 PT