Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 75235 times)

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »
Hi Lori,

Sounds like Tyler is doing really well, Now that he is eaten more I would think it would help with the side effects too. I found that I felt alot less dizzy and sick once I was eating properly.

Awww the puppy sounds really cute, it was good that you found the owner but also in a way a shame that you couldn't keep her. I agree pets are a great distraction and very therapeutic.

I wish him good luck at physio tomorrow, let us know how it goes. I was emailed a phot today that made me smile, I have attached it below as I thought it may make you both smile too....

23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 11:37:15 PM »
Davori,
      I am sorry to hear about Tylers pain, that's awful. I know that Docs are so weird about giving pain meds, expecially to kids. My son had something called Loratab after one of his surgeries, and it was awesome. It was a liquid so it kicked in quick.
That's great that he got up to use the restroom, with you being so small, is there a desk chair or a wheelchair you can barrow to help get him around, especially since he's going to be doing this again?
Also frozen peas, or corn make AWESOME ice packs, they cost about a buck, they're big and you can refreeze them, I would mark them though so they don't get eaten.

Hope his pain subsides!

~Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline datapopp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 03:46:59 AM »
Hi Davori;

I can relate, my daughter just had a MPFL reconstruction on Tuesday so she is 2 days post op...so far last night was the worst, she woke up but today I just gave her 2 percoset 5/325 each every 4-6 hours and it has made a big difference...plus for some reason the cpm machine seems to give her relief it is at a slow pace set to 30 degree flexion...she has been on it all day...the insurance did not pay for it so I paid $350.00 for 2 weeks and I have no regrets.  I hope that your son's pain diminishes all the post on staying on top of the medication have been very helpful....I cannot believe he has to do this again in 4 weeks.

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »
DATAPOP>>> I have been waiting to hear how your daughters procedure went..... I did not check yet, did you start her post op diary?  I hope she gets to feeling better soon. We didnt get a cpm... in fact I dont know what that is.. the OS just locked his brace in at 40 degrees and said that he could bend it only that far for now... which I dont see happening... not yey anyhow. The best I can do is fuss at him to do ankle pupms... and if Im lucky, he wont give me the mean face when I ask him if he can tighten his quad a little for me... >:(
Trace >>>> Thanks for the pic. Its cute!!! and congrats on going back to work!!! What a milestone eh?
Tabitha>>>> I hate peas! but I may try the corn! The ice packs in the food saver are really working out great I had my neighbor make me 2 more of the 4cups water and 1 cup alchohol .. and Im rotating... They do stay very cold for a long time so he can keep then on longer and he really seems to like the coolness. The computer chair...What a great Idea!!!! Im totally tying that one next... he is just sooo much bigger and heavier than me.. Im really afraid that I may drop him...

DAY 3     
Lets just say I did a real bone head thing!!! As you know I have not gotten a lot of sleep.... because I have to give him his meds... I cant feel the pain, so I have to rely on the clock... and if I left it up to him  he'd take the meds every hour... kids dont understand there is a reason it says every 4-6 hours.. Any how  I crashed! I woke up to the sound of my alarm.... paniced... and ran upstairs to wake my daughter for school... she has been sleeping in Tylers waterbed( a real treat for her) since he's not using it. when she wouldnt wake up I pushed the matress and made lots of waves... and told her to hurry, because I woke up late.  I went back downstairs , feeling terrible I had overslept and of course worried that I didnt stay on top of Tyler's pain management, I started calculating the last time I gave him some, what did I give him, what time is it.... OH CRAP!!!!! its 3:30 in the morning.... Im officially a nut job!!! My poor baby is getting dressed for school in a hurry... and anyone that has school aged children know this makes for cranky kids....so with my tail between my legs.. I slowley climb the stairs and tell Morgan to go back to bed. Im sorry baby, mommy is a bone head,and its not time for you to go to school yet.... she's so cute, she just said ok.... and went plopped back down on the bed. 1/2 dressed...NEW LESSON...... when you waik up in a panic, triple check the clock! I could have easily given tyler meds at the wrong time,  I didnt .... but I can totally see how it could happen.      We have therapy this am... so Ill let ya know how it goes.... Thanks every one, for listening to me rant... Lori

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »
Hi Davori,
          That story made me laugh! Once I came home from work not feeling well and went to sleep at 5pm and woke up at 9pm which I thought was 9am and I started running around the house panicking getting ready, then I saw my husband and son downstairs watching TV and I realized it was the same day, I felt pretty silly. So I think we've all been there, sounds like you may need a little break though. Sometimes you need to get out by yourself even if it's just to the grocery store. Can your husband or neighbor watch him for a little while to give you a break? Or some sleep?

I am glad your neighbor made you more ice packs, I have some of the alcohol and water ice packs, they're great, I haven't found the right mix yet, maybe I will try your 1c/4c method. Mine are always to hard and feel uncomfortable at first.

Hope Tyler is well today, and that you get a short break. You sound like such a great mom, hang in there!

~Tabitha
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 03:03:03 PM »
Hi Lori!

Tyler is really a trooper! I can't believe how strong he is! A great support system goes a long way too! You are a great mom, and an incredibly strong person. I can't imagine having to watch my child go through what Tyler has been through. I am 19, and my littlest sister is 9. I can't even stand it when she scrapes her knee. I hate to see the people I love in pain.

I am 17 weeks post op from a derotational osteotomy of my right femur. And I completely agree with jathib, let him have the strong stuff and be a little loopy. I wouldn't worry about it either. He needs to be in as little pain as possible, and if it takes the strong stuff, then thats okay. Even at 17 weeks I still take 800mg motrin if I have a bad day. I have a few norco left and if I overdo it I am not afraid to take those either. I don't take them for a high, all I want is to get rid of the pain. After reading the posts on pain management and meds here, the whole meds issue has become a lot more clear to me.

It really stinks he has to do it all again. They are only separating the two by 4 weeks? wow. I know how you and Tyler feel about having to do it all over again. I am just now starting to feel better after my right derotation, and in December or January or so I am having the left derotated. Sooo, just as I recover from one, I have to do the other. Then when I recover from those, after a year, the plate and screws come out, so thats even more surgery. It really is a downer, so I try not to think of what is to come. I just try to think of the end result, and how much better my life will be after all of this.

Take care! I hope you have a good day! Like Tabitha said, Hang in there!!!

Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 03:13:10 PM »
Glad to hear Tyler is doing better!!

Make sure he does the quad sets, I have lost 2' in my quad and I am having a very tough time getting it back.  It will come but he must be vigilent about it.  Also, the PTs always told me to ice 20 minutes and then take a break 30-40 minutes and then ice again, continuous icing is not good for the skin.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline datapopp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 03:57:57 PM »
Hi Davori;

The CPM machine lets the kids lie there while it gently moves and straightens their leg,   The company actually brings it to your house and sets it up....  I will take pictures of Annie's leg today and send it,link it, someway...so you can see it.  LikeTyler there was no way, could she, or would she, try to slide her heel a little up and down :-X, quad sets...you can barely see them move as she grimaces in pain  :-[, ankle pumps...hurt but she moves the ankle the best, maybe an inch   :-\

Annie feels the machine seems to make her knee hurt a little less, she was in it all day yesterday. 
I will start her post-op today...I did not realize it is put in a different section.

I don't know if this will help Tyler...but Annie's OS said to give her 25 mg. of Benadryl at night with her 2 Percoset due to itching....I gave her the Percoset at 11:30 PM with a Benadryl...she is still sleeping and it is 7:45 AM.  I did not have to get up in the middle of the night ;) !!!!!!!!

I cannot foresee Annie going to school anytime soon....or doing any homework.  How long do you think Tyler will be out for?  Have you formulated any plan on how to help him catch up on the schoolwork he will be missing?  Annies school(public) said they will send a teacher to our home after the first 2 weeks...I have a half a mind to keep her out that 3rd week so the teacher can help catch her back up.
For some reason I thought she would be able to go back Monday....I now can see there is absolutely no way.

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 04:58:09 PM »
Well now.... PT Was not fun... It took us an hour to get ready....change shirt, shorts, socks 1 shoe, and hair brushed and into the van... I was shooting for teeth brushed too but Ill take what I can get. we got there only to find out that because he just got out of PT from the last time he dislocated ... that we only have 3 visits left for the year! and today was one of them. How is he supposed to rehad this knee in 2 visits??? We are pretty familier with the whole PT experience, so well in fact we could probably work there ourselves..... but.. we just dont have the equipment at home to do this... They said they are going to TRY  and get the insurance company to extend it... The OS has perscribed 8 weeks for this knee and we still have another one to go!!!!!!! GRRRRR Im so mad. I hate ins. companies!  (deep breath) ok..... At PT today all they did was bend his knee... The OS has his brace set at 40 degrees.. and the best Tyler could get today was 30. and a painful 30 at that! His excercises consist of ankle pumps... try to bend to 40 degrees , every hour and a half x30, and when he is standing he has to try to get his foot flat on the floor. And when he feels like it try to bear weight.  We could have done that at home. instead of going thru all the trouble of getting there and waisting one of the 3 visits he has left... now that Ive said that, let me back up and say that Tyler loves his PT. He has built a relationship with them over there and trusts what they tell him to do. But the look on Chris the PT's face was not exactly optomistic when he found out the Os wants this better in 4-6 weeks... Mind you, he didnt say anything negitive... but I could see it on his face.

Tyler was feeling sick after the apponitment,and is pretty spent. But I had to make a side trip over to the School district office while we were out. I need to get him set up for Homebound... so he can continue his studies... #1, the Doctor never put any dates on the form as to when he could return, and #2   I was in the wrong office.  I had them fax the form to the correct office and brought him home.....H really didnt feel well.  The woman from the district just called me to tell me that she cant do anything until I have the Doctor fill in the dates... Im thinking about making up my own dates... but I wont. Ill call the OS office and see what they will do. The school note he gave me was for 2 weeks. But he really wants him back before then. IS It POSSIBLE???? I just feel like it is... Why do they have to make this so hard? By the time I get this all straightened out he will be jogging to school on his own!!!  And then we get  to do it all over again.... for the other knee... GRRRRR I should have just hit the snooze button today!!! 
tabitha, The PT did give me a good tip on Ice... you may want to give it a try... he said to freeze dish washing liquid. He said it doesnt freeze solid and its like a gel. I thought that was a good idea.
????? I know i wanted to write something back to big sky and datapop... but I cant remember what I was going to say... maybe I answered it already.... Sorry for the rant.... Ill check back later.....

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Lori,
   Wow, you are truley being ran through the ringer. You have have so much to take care of, in such a short ammount of time. You are just so busy!

I am glad that Tyler has a relationship with his PT, I have no idea who will be working with me and weather or not I will like them. So for him to already be established I think that will help a great deal. I hope your insurance company does the right thing and approves his  PT, I suspect they could get into some trouble if they didn't.

I will have to try the dishwashing detergent, it sounds like what I need, I have 2 gel ice packs that I favor, so they are always warm because I swap them frequently, and it's ludicris to pat 10.00 for a  new gel ice pack.

Hope Tyler is doing better now that he is at home and can get some rest.

~Tabitha
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
Davori,
     ...My son had something called Loratab after one of his surgeries, and it was awesome. It was a liquid so it kicked in quick.

Lortab is the same as hyrdocodone. Hydrocodone is the generic form. Not strong enough for me for serious surgery.

brianne

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »
Lori,

I know the OS has said that Tyler can have the other knee done in 4-6 weeks, but that does not mean that he has to have it done that soon.  There is a good chance he will be up on his feet enough to handle the second knee in about 6 weeks.  I had TTT's and MPFL recons done 7 weeks apart...it was hard but doable.

But the thing that OS's do not think about is the emotional toll of major surgeries on the paitents and their families.  I made it through back to back knee surgeries at 25 and that was tough.  I cannot imagine doing that at 13. 

I guess what I am saying is that there is nothing wrong with waiting a few months if not longer.  Yes it will mean it is going to be longer until Tyler is 100% back to sports and other activities, but sometimes it is better to just slow down and let the body rest.

As far as bending and ROM goes, this will be the hardest thing for him in these first two weeks.  Trying to bend a knee after major surgery hurts so much.  However, it is so very important to make sure that the knee gets bending early on or there could be major problems down the road.  The pain might be bad, but remind Tyler its a good thing and that he will be better off for it.  I found it helped to working on bending BEFORE icing.  After putting ice on it the knee will be very stiff and almost impossible to bend.  I also found it helped to massage the hamstrings and quads before trying to bend.

Good luck with everything.  This first week is the hardest and I know I felt like I was not accomplishing much in my first week after surgery.  The second week gets a whole lot better.

Brianne

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 10:12:32 PM »
Hi Lori,

Wow you are doing so great helping Tyler and still being a mum and wife to the rest of the family as well. Your 3.30am story did make me smile I think we have all done that at some stage. Have you managed to catch up on your sleep yet?

Thats awful news about the insurance, although I moan like hell bout the NHS sometimes I can see there benefits too!! I hope they manage to sort something out for you, int the mean time I wonder if you physio could give you a bunch of excersises to do for a couple of weeks so that you don't have to go so often?

I think sometimes surgeons tend to give best case scenarios with rehabs, everybody is different so no 2 rehabs are the same. I was told I would be back to work after 6 weeks and driving the 2 hours a day etc but when I got there my knee hadn't read the book and just wasn't ready. As Brianne said the emotional toll is just as hard, I am 8 weeks post op and the thought of going through more surgery on my other knee now, I 'm not sure I would be able to face.

Perhaps you can play it by ear and if Tyler is not ready they may let you postpone the op for a couple of months? (do you get a choice with you insurance?, sorry I have no idea how it works over there).

I hope bothTyler and you get the good nights rest you deserve tonight.

Take care

Trace
23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline datapopp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 06:39:14 AM »
Hi Lori;

Does your insurance cover any chiropractor visits?  There are some Chiropractors that specialize in neuromuscular development and rehab.  Annie has one, our insurance cover 24 visits a year, plus the  eight visits to the PT.  Anyways they can develop a great rehab program that Tyler can use at home if the insurance will not pay for the PT.  Just make sure that they specialize in this area..ours works with several of the OS's in San Diego.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »
Does your insurance cover any chiropractor visits?  There are some Chiropractors that specialize in neuromuscular development and rehab.  Annie has one, our insurance cover 24 visits a year, plus the  eight visits to the PT.  Anyways they can develop a great rehab program that Tyler can use at home if the insurance will not pay for the PT.  Just make sure that they specialize in this area..ours works with several of the OS's in San Diego.

E gadz, don't use a chiropractor for rehab. They are not real doctors and have no business messing with knees. Your PT or doctor should be able to get an extension for more therapy visits. They do it all the time. I get 40 visits a year and the one time I went over my doctor just asked for an extension, it was a approved and that's all there was to it.