Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08  (Read 92707 times)

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08
« Reply #405 on: January 02, 2011, 12:14:18 AM »
Well, 2011 - can you believe it!!

Next month is 3 years since I was injured by the @$$hole that ran into me on the slopes of Heavenly Valley in Lake Tahoe, CA.  Jerk, I hope he got hurt at least as bad as I did, I know, I know - supposed to turn the other cheek, screw that he should get at least what he gave.

OK, enough of that - you can see I'm over it.......right?......

The knee has been holding up well, I am doing more and more and hope to get back to working out on a regular basis this year.

Thanks for all the help and support here on this board, I don't think I could have gotten through this without all of you.  I hope to post that I am back running soon.  I had a issue with bursitis in my left hip last month and that set me back some but it seems to have cleared up now.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #406 on: January 08, 2011, 03:34:42 PM »
Hi DD,

So it has been 3 years since that idiot ran into you on the slopes and hope he feel guilty for what he has done to you. I  have been going to the Hospital now for 3 years this January and still not been discharged yet. Good your knee is holding up well and like you also hope to be running again soon.

Happy New Year and hope 2011 is the year we can both run once again.

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2011, 11:53:11 PM »
Well, an update - not a great one.

I'm going back to PT to see if they can help me not only with the left knee but now my right knee.  I have so much pain when I go up and down the stairs and I'm hoping that a few sessions with the PT can get me back on track.

I ride the bike every morning for 30 minutes and take walks when I can.  I really would like to get back to running so we'll see.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #408 on: May 12, 2011, 05:14:34 PM »
Hi Diane,

Sorry you are having problems with both your knees and finding it painful to go up and down the stairs. It is great that you are able to cycle for 30 minutes every morning and I know how you are feeling not being able to run as I was unable to for over 3 and a half years and can once again do what I enjoy doing and now cannot wait till my next jog!

Have you ever tried IMS as it really worked well for me and maybe it will also work for yourself. Dry needling may reduce your knee pain or even get you back to running again and is worth a try.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline vinnic

• Regular Poster
« Reply #409 on: June 29, 2011, 03:29:01 AM »
Hey BSG - did you end up getting more therapy or not?  How is the knee progressing?  Hopefully things are improving for you!  Here, things are finally getting back to normal.  For starters, I could kick myself for having put my knee rehab / workouts on hold for the move across country and/or new job...  turned out to be a waste of time and knee progress!  I'm just now happy to be back on the treadmill, bike, and crosstrainer again to get things started back up (you're talking basics here, like step-ups, SLRS, etc)...  Anyway, hope it continues to go well for you!  Nikki

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
Hi Nikki,  I have not been keeping up with the PT visits and thus my knee has regressed some.  No one to blame but myself.  I am getting out for more walks and have been playing golf this summer so my goal is to get back to where I can walk a round of golf again. It's really more an issue of me being out of shape in general rather than just the knee.  It still "talks" to me quite a bit and it's like fingers on a chalkboard but I am working on getting past that.  Even the Drs and PTs grimace when it crunches and cracks.  Good to hear you are getting back in shape as well, it's so much easier to come home from work and sit on the couch but I am forcing myself to get up and out doing something.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
Hi Diane,

I am glad you are making some progress and are now able to go for more walks and will soon be able to play a full round of Golf. I am sure you so some kindness towards the Greens Staff on the golf course as where I work some of the members look straight through the Greens Staff and like to complain about the condition and state of the course.

Thanks for the reply on my thread and IMS is a miracle cure as I can now fully squat again pain free which I thought was going to be a life long problem. Nikkii it takes a while to recover fully from a scope and took 18 months post op before my knee got back to normal again.

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Hi Nick, yes I saw on your thread you have made incredible progress and I am so thrilled for you.

I did forget to mention that I managed a golf course in the past so I do know just how incredibly disrespectful the golfers can be, fortunately they are usually few in number so I generally looked past it.

My only observation about our current crew is that they should wear helmets.  Our greens crew do not seem to be bothered by the presence of the golfers and will be right out in the fairway - I worry that they will be hit in the head - body shots, while painful, at least won't kill you so I may mention it to the golf shop.  I know the crew would think I'm crazy to suggest helmets or more accurately hard hats like construction workers wear.

Keep up the good work, last night I had a dream that I was running - in clogs of all things....hmmmmmm....wonder what that means.

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #413 on: October 31, 2011, 01:09:10 AM »
Well, this is going to be a pity party.

Last week I spent the day painting a room in the house and ever since then my knee is swollen and sore and stiff.  I can't kneel or even move quickly.  It's all hot and really swollen. And my other knee is sore BC I used it so much more when kneeling and squatting, etc.

It's my MCL and it really hurts tonight.  When is it ever going to get better?  I don't know if I should see the drs again, they aren't much help.  The PTs just want to wear you out and then tell you you are not tryng hard enough.  I'm so frustrated.  I don't think I will ever run or even be back to normal ever......again.  :'(

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #414 on: November 03, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »
Hi Diane,

Really sorry that your knee is playing up again and hope it settles down soon and do not have to go back to your OS again. I thought I would never be able to run again until I saw Dr Brown for IMS sessions that worked well for me. I only had a minor surgery on my knee and can risk running but maybe with your knee situation is best to avoid running if possible as it wears out the knee quicker. I am very keen runner and and willing to risk wearing my knees out and maybe you feel the same and enjoy running too much to give it up due to knee problems.

I am getting fed up working on the golf course not due to the members just no longer enjoy my job I dislike the early mornings and working weekends. I want to train up to work with adults with asperger syndrome that have broken the law as I went through a bed spell during my breakdown and the Police, Judges and CPS need to be more aware why people with AS often get themselves into trouble. I would be their support worker and make sure they are treated fairly. Also working outdoors all my working life is not great for the joints.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:20:07 PM by Clarkey »

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #415 on: January 17, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »
Well, here we are in 2012 - hard to believe this April will be 4 years since I was run into on the ski slope.

After wallowing in my own little pity party during November and into December I decided to go back to PT.  I found a place that really made me work hard and it paid off.  I was sidelined by pneumonia in early January but my knee is much stronger and getting better daily.  Goes to show you to never give up, I plan to make 2012 the year of my rebuild both mentally and physically.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #416 on: January 19, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »
Hi Diane,

2012 already and time goes quicker the older we get and before we know it will be 2013. You might not have joined KG if it was not for the guy running into you on the ski slopes and is a nice bulletin board to post on and have made many online friends thanks to KG. It does pay to keep on top of your PT as it benefits the knees. I hope you have recovered fully from pneumonia and sounds like its going to be a good year for you health wise. 2012 is the 1st full year since 2006 that I can run fully again with minimal knee pain, so is a good start.

[email protected]