Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother  (Read 74557 times)

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« on: September 17, 2008, 06:41:05 PM »
I will start this with a little history of Tyler so you can get to understand the boy I know, and even though hes going thru this,  how truley BLESSED we are. When I found out I was pregnant I was so excited... I was told I would never have children. At 23 weeks gestation the problems began with preterm labor, and an ultrasound showed that he had an omphalocele( liver and bowel outside of his body) AFP tests showed he was not normal.... and I was told that I should terminated the pregnancy, but I was certain that God had given me this child for a reason and decided who was I to mess with Gods creation. I Understood that it would be difficult, and was prepared for whatever came our way. Anyhow I worked very hard to do everything to keep this baby  but he came early anyhow. but only 8 weeks early, I carried him far longer than any of the doctors thought I would.... He was very long 21 inches and very skinny 5lbs 13 oz.  He had surgery as soon as he was born to put his liver and bowell where it belonged and he had lots of problems due to prematurity but after 2 weeks I could finally hold him without his heart rate jumping off the charts and we finally looked into each others eyes. I Knew at that moment we were going to be ok. The 1st 2 years he had several surgeries including having his tounge clipped as he has toung tied, another abdomenal surgery, testicle repairs, ears,  we wnt through therapy to teach him how to eat, speek, and even walk. We were told he would never walk, or talk. He underwent genetic testing only to have the Doctor tell me that he had Possible Beckwith weideman Syndrome. A rare genetic disorder. He did not have the visable symptoms other than the enlarged tounge and tall stature, and omphalocele  so it was ruled as "Possible" BWS.  But non the less we mutteled through. I have never treated him as though he had any disability, and he has been through his fair share of adversities in his life... I will spare you all the details... but when he was 18 months old he stood up. He was going to walk! And he does! In fact he is awsome! He is an A-B Honor student  I am so proud! He is a normal 13 year old boy, with the exception of medical problems . But when they pop up... we fix what we need to, go through what we need to, pick ourselves up by the bootstraps... and move foward. I have never lied to him about how difficult things are going to be, how painful things are going to be or how long recovery will be. And I dont intend to start now. He has always had a possitive spirit about him, and tries his very best at everything he does.
I know, he sounds perfect... right?  Im not dilusional... He's a NORMAL, obnoxious,back talking , silly, lazy,never wants to take a shower or brush his teeth boy. And Im grateful for all of it. (most of the time.)   
13 is a tough age for boys... He has always had some self confidence issues, due to all the medical problems, scars, and issues he has delt with. he was never very good at sports, even though we have tried them all.... I was quite ok with him being a nerd, He just never found that 1 thing that he was good at! until now.   He is 6'5 &3/4. ( cant forget the 3/4...) and He found basketball. Well it found him. He loves it. And he's good at it. I love it because he has found his "IT".  His confidence in himself is much better and his self esteem is soaring... For someone who doesnt like to be the center of attention, its ironic that he plays center in BBall.  His 1st season was a church league. in 6th grade. ( he is now in 8th)
At the banqut for that league he was playing around in the grass, and dislocated his rt knee. It was pretty bad.... scarred me to death...  and all the kids that were there too. I never want to see that again.. but as a mom you just do what you do to keep him calm , wait patiently for the ambulance as lit looks for you at some back woods , off the beaten path, farm slash lake front area... that takes you forever to find even with detailed directions.  You hold thier hand and tell them it will be ok even though you are shaking inside and out - and want so badly to do something for them... This is the part I hate, cause not only do you have to help your child, but you also have to calm the onlookers, give them directions as to what to do.... But also keep them from getting in your way without raising your voice and saying curse words.. ( cause lets face it, most poeple dont handle crises well) all the while staying calm yourself because if you dont your child will panic and the whole situation gets out of hand.  The ambuannce comes... hes alergic to morphine so they can only give him nitrus  for the long drive to the hospital...    I know... this is getting to be really long and you want me to get to the point..... we did PT... he got better...  He tried out for the 7th grade team... made it , played the season, (with a nervouse mom in the stands) he dislocated it again in front of the house... again playing basketball.... we did PT again.... he got better... the OS said he needed to have a reallignment surgery on both knees but couldnt because his growth plates were still open... He told us this would happen again and again until he could do the surgery.... He just needed to build up his muscles and keep them strong, and that would decrease his chances of it happening..... He worked all summer keeping in touch with coaches, and doing PT at home. He favors his rt knee, and he says he can feel it slip every now and again. He wears a brace on that knee just about 24/7. He doesnt shower in it( but by the way it smells.... he should)   10 days ago he was playing ball again, out in the street, getting ready for the upcoming basketball season,  when he stepped on a rock and dislocated the Left one. the good one. Now we knew that it had the same tendancies as the rt, but he had not experienced that one yet.... The experience with the ambulance, hospital ect... was horrible... no pain relief at all.... and an incompetant er doc to pop it back in.... I dont even want to talk about that now, as I am still Very angry about it. Anyhow... we are pros at this now, so we go to the OS... and he says the plates are closed enough, lets do this surgery. Skip PT this time, go directly to OR.FIX it this year and be ready to play JV Basketball next year with out the worry of dislocating anymore. So we did. and here we are.  He is discouraged because he worked so hard to get ready for basketball and was really looking foward to playing for Coach P. He feels like he has let everyone down, and they are not letting up. Everyone that talks to him says... oh man... what are we going to do without you... or Will you be playing this year?  or Dude??? why???
He feels bad enough, now we have everyone else making him feel bad too. Even the Teachers... who I specifically told that he was sensitive to the fact he wont play this season.!!.. In front of them... he tries to act tough... but inside he is angry... and disapointed. As a 13 year old, he doesnt know how to cope with all his emotions so his saddness comes out as anger in front of others.... He doesnt want them to think hes weak, He want to be strong, tough guy, cool guy, hero for the team, and every middles schools girls dream.... instead he is a really tall kid on crutches, wearing a smelly knee brace on one knee and a big ugly one on the other knee.... If he hears "Run Forest.... RUN...."   one more time, Im afraid that he may just have a meltdown.   All of this brings me to to DAY 1... September 16. Surgery...

We get up, put little sister on the bus... ( yes, God gave me another one) and sit around till its time to go. My Husband, bless his heart, has never dealt well with all the medical stuff, has takin the day off to go with us.. " He's thirsty, let him have a drink... Why cant he eat breakfast? they are just mean...  let him have a little food and dont tell them.. what can it hurt" says he...... Maybe this is why I prefer to do the whole Dr thing alone... Tyler is getting nervouse, lolly gagging getting shoes on... getting into the van, " I need to brush my hair, and my teeth"... like that EVER happens.... He slept all the way there.. an hour drive... get to the waiting room... hes very silent. Go back to pre-op... not saying a word... he wont even answer the Questions from the nurse, I have to answer everything.. Even Do you have to use the restroom? ..... nothin... So I had to make him go. By the way all the staff at the surgical center have to comment on how tall he is, or ask if he plays basketball.... Anyhow shy guy gets on the bed, when they tell him he has to take off his shorts, or his boxers, he can only wear 1 layer during the surgery..Another decision he cant seem to make. so I make it for him... He was acting very strange... I have never seen him so afraid before. Anyhow, he gets on the bed, in his boxers, and the bed is too short... his ankles and feet are hanging off the bed, and all the pre-op patients are lined up in this 1 room with curtains between each one, and they ask me to step outside the curtain so they can put his IV in.  I have seen this done to him a million times, but they had someone fall and bust thier head open so I couldnt watch.. They closed the curtain and all I can see are 2 size 14 blue surgical booties sticking out from behind a curtain.  I felt as though I had front row seats to a puppet show. I wanted so badly to draw little faces on them, and tell Tyler to rotate his ankles... but I didnt. He was nervouse enough and not really in the mood for joking around.  They gave him some meds...to relax him, and opened the curtain... Tyler started to tell me that the nurse woulnt even let him look at the IV as it was being put in, but he lost his train of though and just started giggling.  Aparently the guy in the bed across from him looked like Uncle Phil from the TV show Fresh Prince of Belaire.  'Uncle PHILL"  he says... thats Uncle Phil.!
They then took him away to do the femeral nerve block.... when they brought him back he was just goofy silly... talking about how he thought all the wires he was hooked up to made him feel like he was a video game, and wondered if he was a one player or a 2 player game....  They took Uncle Phill away 1st, and it was funny, cause He was an older gentelman, but as he passed Tylers bed he made a fist and held it up to Tyler as if to say... Fight the power dude. or ... or High 5 , catch ya on the flip side. anyhow it was cool. I think he was just having a scope done, cause he was done pretty quick, and then it was Tylers turn... I felt pretty good that he was not so rigid and scared anymore , and went to take my seat in the waiting room......  After the surgery, He took a long time to wake up, as I told them, he would, and was very nauseated, as I told them he would be.... ( why dont they believe you when they tell you this stuff?) I mean why ask if your not going to do anything to prevent it... instead they act all surprised when they have to clean up the mess.." gee I thought that little patch behind his ear would do the trick... I should have given him something for nausea"  He still had a hard time waking up, but i guess he said he felt alot of pain so they gave him a second femerol nerve block to keep his leg numb another 24 hrs  and they put him in the back of the van so we could go home. It took 3 people and we had to remove the middle set of seats so his leg would fit. It was like bringing my newborn home for the 1st time all over again. Every bump, curve, turn, car too close to mine made me anxious.. the hour long trip took 2 in rush hour traffic and in the rain... We got home My husband and I had to carry him in cause he couldnt figure out how to get up the 2 steps into the house, he went potty and we put him on the couch...where he slept the rest of the night. Me ...worry mom, sat up putting ice on it every hour,  I was so tired... But it was actually afraid to go to sleep 1 because, I wanted to do the ice thing, 2 because I was afraid that If I went to sleep I would not get up in time to get up at 5am and take him back to the OS for post op appt. I woke tyler up at 530 am to get him in the van for the 1 hr trip to the OS. He could not get up and Im so glad my husband was still home, He picked him up and got him to a standing possition so he could use the crutches to walk out to the van. We saw the OS for all of 2 minutes... he said incision looks good, hears a school note,and some pics of your knee , see ya in 2 weeks. then we drove an hour back home where I had to call a neighbor to help me get him out of the van and back on the couch... He just woke up a little bit ago and said his knee is starting to hurt BAD.. so I gave him some pain med... and back to sleep he went.  He will wake up soon... I hope when he does... he is not in pain. And I pray that someone is around the neighborhood to help me get him up to pee.   Ill write more later..... Sorry this post  is so long... But Im sure the following ones wont be.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Tyler's Post-op Through the eyes of a mother
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »
Well done Davori. I'm glad he's on the road to rehab. He sounds like a tough kid. I'm sure he doesn't believe it now, but one day this will all be behind him and all the adversity will make him a better, stronger person. Tell him to get well soon.

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
ok, he's awake and the Mr eats alot  wont eat a thing. He says hes in too much pain. I wish I could do something for him, but he cant have any more pain meds for 2 hrs. he has to pee but wont. Im not sure if its cause he doesnt want me to ask the neighbor for help getting him up or because he hurts too much. He wont go in a bottle either.. I sure hope hes not waiting for meds to kick in... because Im not sure he'll make it. The grimace on his face tells me alot. He looks like he wants to cry. It has been kinda awkward since he is not really talking... I just want to help him....!!! If I ask for a pain level he says 8. thats pretty hight for him as he has a very high tollerance for pain. His ear drum almost burst once and he told me he just had an earache.... GRRRRR I know that I just have to stay calm and reasure him that his meds are coming just as soon as I can give them to him... but its horrible to see my baby doing breathing excersises to get thu the pain. It seems as though he's trying to block out the world... and I want to give him space but I also want to help.   I will post more later...

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:25:39 PM »
If he is in alot of pain I would call the Dr and ask about upping the pain meds.  A few Percocet every 4 hours really don't cut it during the first few days.  You can read any number of threads on here that talk about pain management and the general concenses is to get ahead of it and stay on it.  Sounds like he is already behind so call the Dr and see what he can do.  After my surgery I took Oxycodone 20mg every 12 hours and 5 mg every 3 hours so don't be afraid of the meds.  After a few days the pain subsided and I was able to stop taking them.

Also, don't forget the stool softener, the pain meds will stop him up and that is not fun either.  I wouldn't expect him to eat much but try and get him to eat something even if it's just a protein shake or something.  Maybe even a real shake from McDonald's etc will get him some calories.

02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 10:12:55 PM »
Hi Davori,

My heart goes out to you and Tyler, its bloody hard coping with surgery and rehab at 26 let alone 13! I can understand how helpless you must be feeling right now but it sounds like you are doing all the right things, he is very lucky to have a mum like you to take care of him.

The first few days are definatley the hardest, are the pain meds making him dizzy when he stands up? I agree with BigSkyGirl calling and asking about increasing the painkillers may be a good idea. I'm very surprised they didn't keep him in hospital overnight rather than making you drive all the way home and come back the next day! 

I really hope they manage to get his pain under control soon.

I know its hard but its also important for you to sleep to, Tyler needs you to be strong but if your shattered you will start to feel ill too. Is there anyway someone could sit with him for a bit while you get some sleep?

Best Wishes

Trace
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:14:56 PM by Thekaratekid »
23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »
thanks for your support... and I really need it now... He is in so much pain he is crying... and I cant do anything for him.. I gave him some hydrocodone 7.5- 325 x2... its been an hour and still not kicked in... He just wants to go back to sleep and he cant because his thigh is throbbing. Mom is about to loose it... and from our story you know we have been thru alot.. I cant bear to see him suffer this much..its breaking my heart. In front of him Im strong. But I have to keep coming in here to vent.. thanks for listening to me. I know this will pass... but why soooooo slow.... Im going to see if the DR is on call... Be back later..... lori

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »
Hey Lori,

No worries, We have all been through similar situations and these boards are a great way to seek support and advice from other like minded people. I would have been lost with out my KG buddies getting through the last 9 months.

I think its a good idea to call the doc, I really don't think he should be in quite so much pain, if they can up his meds it will make the world of difference. Let us know what the doc says.

Hang in there

Trace
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:03:31 PM »
Davori,

Wow you have had a rough time, poor Tyler, he has accomplished a lot for a 13 year old. I'm wishing him a fast recovery and hopes that he will be back to basketball in no time. Hopefully better than ever. 

I too am confused why they didn't keep him over night, that is just torturous on both you and Tyler.

Best wishes durring recovery,
                                          Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:38:43 AM »
Hello everyone. Its me again.... still on day one. I called the Os office and they were closed so was the Surgical center.. but I got the PA to call me back.  I explained how much pain he was in and she asked what he was taking... I told her.. she then argued with me about how tall he was... she didnt believe that he was 6'5 and 3/4 ( cant forget the 3/4 :)) lol   3 times I had to tell her yes 13 years old  yes 6'5... yes 160 lbs... then she gave me the ok to give him ibuprophen at his 3rd hour. and still give him the hydro every 4 hrs. It took all day to get ahead of the pain  but I think we are almost there... He actually got up to pee...(and he went...and went and went and went...) and again thank goodness my husband was home from work to assist. The meds make him dizzy, and nauseated, and trying to support himself with an unstable knee and a painfull knee is hard work. I think your right.... he should not have been done outpatient. Arthoscopy, Chondroplasty with open realignment, and a TTT, and muscle stiches, and cartaledge debriedment, is JUST TO DARN MUCH for a 13 year old boy. He is supposed to have this done again to the Rt knee in 4-6 weeks.??? I dont think so!  Next time he will be staying at the hospital. Its only day one and I feel like I can give very valuable advice to everyone getting surgery.... Todays lesson.... STAY AHEAD OF THE PAIN!!! If they give you meds, take them until your sure you dont need them. That femerol block is quite tricky,, cause you feel nothing ........then watch out! I think my boy actually said a curse word today! And that is one thing he does not do.... I wish I could bear this pain for him, actually I cant even relate... I cant even imagine what it must feel like.  well any how Im sure it will be another long night...but I have the clock set just in case I do happen to fall asleep. I will be giving him the meds every chance I can.... I will not let him go through THAT again !  I may pop in later, but with any luck we will just call it a night and start again tomorrow. Perhaps I should wake Tyler up at 5am before my hubby goest to work, to see if he needs to go poty again. Im a little nervous that I wont be able to help him alone tomorrow... oh well... Ill worry about that later... Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your support!     Lori

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »
Yay!!! Day one is over!!!! Its the beginning of day 2 and Im optomistic. We got through the night just fine. I had to wake up every 3rd and 4th hour to give him pain meds... I set the alarm on my phone, just in case...  He had to wake me up one time because his ice was leaking all over  I felt so bad. Is it possible to get frostbite for leaving the ice on too long.? He seems to like the ice... but I cant keep it frozen. I have 2 bags that I made with the water and alchohol recepie ( ..My neighbor put them in her food saver for me...) They work great because they are a good size to cover his knee, and they stay slushy to they can wrap around instead of laying like a brick on top of his knee. I need more than 2 though... I have gone through almost a whole bag of store bought ice, I keep trying to rotate.. but its just not working out so well.  Little sister Morgan is now off to school so I think I will catch some zzzz's before our next meds dose.... be back later..... REMEMBER!!!!    STAY AHEAD OF YOUR PAIN!!!!     Lori

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »
Hi Lori,

Well done on getting through day one, I'm glad you've managed to get on top of his pain now.

Just a thought about the Ice, are you able to get a cyrocuff? perhaps the hospital could lend you one. I've never personally used one but from what I've heard they are fantastic, they pump cold water all the way round the sleeve that you put round the knee which would save trying to hold icepacks on there. Failing that, what I use are the wine bottle coolers, you know the ones that you put in the freezer then put round the bottle of wine to keep it cool. I find it really works cause it doesn't leak ice and it will wrap almost all the way round your knee, if you had 2 I reckon you could join them up.

I can't believe everything that they did to Tyler  and then sent him home, poor lad no wonder his in pain. I think he must be a very tough person to be coping with all this so well at his age.

Hope you manage to get some sleep.

Trace
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy

brianne

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 01:02:23 PM »
Lori,

It is possible to ice too much.  I generally followed a 15 minutes out of every hour ice rule.  You might want to look into getting an ice machine.  You fill it up with water and ice and it stays cold for at least 8 hours.  Mine has a temperature setting so I can make sure I do not set it too cold.  Plus, they cannot leak which is always a concern with bags of ice.  Even if you have to purchase it, the money would be well spent.

To respond to a previous post of yours, I have had 4 TTT's and they were all over night stays in the hospital.  I think when Tyler has the other leg done you should demand to stay overnight in the hospital.  Additionally, with the pain meds...sometimes a certain type will work better.  So if Tyler is not getting the relief from what he has, maybe a different type would work better.  Do not hesitate to call his OS if you think he is not really getting pain relief.  For me, I do not react well to pain meds and so I did better not taking anything, but that is my preference and I have bad reactions to pain meds.  

Brianne

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 02:50:13 PM »
  him some hydrocodone 7.5- 325 x2... its been an hour and still not kicked in... 

I can't believe all they gave him was hydrocodone, and a low dose at that. Poor kid. He should have gotten Percocet for such a serious surgery.

Offline Davori

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 08:01:49 PM »
ok so I didnt go back to sleep. But we have had an eventful day. Our neighbors kids found a puppy walking down the middle of the street while waiting for the bus so they scooped it up and took it home. When Becky ( neighbor/ friend) called me, she, like me felt sorry for the poor pup. She drove around looking for anyone that may be looking for the poor girl. She brought the puppy over for Tyler to see, and of corse they hit it off. He was hoping to keep her, if no one claimed her. She kept Tyler entertained and distracted for some time... and it was nice to see him in good spirits. Pets are amazing arnt they?  Anyhow Becky drove around again and found that someone had put up a sign for a 6 week old lost boxer.... she is just gorgeous! Becky just went home to call the owners, Im sure that they are just sick over loosing that precious little baby. Our dog Cassie, was very protective of Tyler and did not want that puppy up on the couch.... but while it was on the floor they played... like I said a very nice distraction. 

GOOD NEWS   He ate a sausage egg and cheese sandwich... AND........ drumroll please..........................
He got up and went to the bathroom!!!! Yea!  I wont lie.. It was hard work to get him to a standing possition.... as I am only 5'2 and he outweighs be by at least 45 pounds... but We did it!  I had to get behild him and lift him from his shoulders... and put my  knee up under his butt  and  use my Quads to support him all the while trying to raise him like Im some sort of craft-o-matic chair lift.  Needless to say Im glad he got on the crutches and to the potty. He is very loopy from the meds... so he had to go very slowley.. and thats ok.... Im patient.... He wanted to sit at the computer after he went and check his email but after the 16 steps to the bathroom he decided he would maybe try later..  He is sched for PT tomorrow, he asked me to re sched it for monday.... of next year....lol  so I know he s feeling better.. he being sarcastic.   He has never really done well with pain meds, if they were perscribed I would go by how he feels. Usually over the counter meds work well enough... The RX stuff makes him loopy.  After yesterday though Id rather seem him loopy and sleepy, than in that much pain... Well anyhow just wanted to let you know the progress.... Our goal for the day has been met... and a new lesson... if you can find something to distract you you dont think about the pain as much. Yes I said as much, cause God knows its still painful... but when the Docs dont give stronger pain meds you have to do what works.  And that puppy was soooooooo cute. He already had a name if no one claimed her. Philly ..............after  Uncle phil from pre-op) Gotta run, Morgan is home    feel better guys!   Lori

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »
I gotta tell yuh, over the counter pain meds are not going to cut it. That would be torture in my opinion. They are worthless for a simple scope, say nothing about major knee surgery. Let him be loopy, there's nothing wrong with that.