Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TKR 4yrs ago & fallen on it - advice please  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Leithie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR 4yrs ago & fallen on it - advice please
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
Hi

I had a TKR 4 yrs ago, I'm 35.  JCA meant to grow out of tried everything else.

Had it done, best thing ever.

Anyway, on Sunday morning I tripped up and went my length.  Fallen on my "bad" knee.

Result instant swollen knee, nice carpet burn and a bruise.

the bruise isn't as bad as I thought it would develop to be, it is over the main part of the knee knee cap and slightly down shin bone.  (lovely deep red bruise on hip though!)

I rested it yesterday and returned to work today, however still swollen.

Shoudl I be concerned as it is my"bad" knee, should I get it checked.  It's not too painful, going down stairs is tricky, up twinges a bit as does walking.  But pain thresholds after 15+yrs of arthritis are quite high.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: TKR 4yrs ago & fallen on it - advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:57:58 PM »
I would keep and eye on it and watch for a increase in swelling or pain, but in short -
If it bothers you - get it checked out. 
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline Leithie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »
I would keep and eye on it and watch for a increase in swelling or pain, but in short -
If it bothers you - get it checked out. 

Thanks, it's the first time I've injured it since having it done, so just wanted to check.

Any idea how long for swelling to go down?  Should I try to stay off it?

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »
I would try to stay off it - ice and elevate and give it 24hours for the swelling to start to diminish - if it doesn't start to go down - call your OS
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline Leithie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »
Thanks i suspected that should be the case.

The bruising is no spreading nicely down my shin.  Not too dark just a light blue darkness.  ::)

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:48:30 PM »
I had a trip on the rug at work.   I landed on my right knee with my TKR and my hands.   
I landed right under the knee cap Where the spacer and tiba implant is.  Anyway .. I landed at work so I went to get ice and the next thing I knew the doctor on site sent me for Xrays.  All was ok.   Just a bit tender for a few days mostly on my hands but the first few hours I felt like my knee was hit by a frying pan.  My implant will be 2 in December.   I never been formally discharged from my OS since I have OA real bad in my left knee.  So if I am lucky I see him every 3 months for the left knee.  If I am not lucky.  Well my sorry ass is in there sooner.  I mentioned the fall to my OS when I was in for my left knee.  He looked at it .. bent it.. did a draw test..

The other doctor  at work did a draw test as well. He sent me for the XRays and had me on crutches as well until they were sure that the implant was stable.

It might be a simple trip to your GP.  Mine GP has xray machine in her office.  Go get it checked out and have piece of mind.  The GP can always write an RX for you to go to an imagining place.  I wouldnt go to a hospital unless you had pain you could not bear.  Than again that depends what part of the world you are in and what type of health care system.

Offline regana

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »
Hi , I too have fallen over a cable trying to be clever cleaning behind my fridge/freezer, my husband had told me to leave it but no went straight over  and landed on my TKR which was done end of January.  This happened over a week ago, couldn't get an appointment with my doctor for a week so at last I  have now been referred for an xray.  It hurts and has taken me back a few months, its also making me nervous , the floor was stone so I went down with a bang, I am quite heavy to fall. 
I am fed up with knees as I was not the best before the fall, my hamstring  behind  TKR has been like an electric shock every time I bent my leg and since the operation I have also not been able to put my other foot to the ground a lot of the time with plantar fasciatis. Anyway I am praying everthing will be fine after Xray and good luck to you for your knee recovery.
Regana

Offline Leithie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:36:12 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm at my physio tomorrow for an unrelated shoulder problem, so I'll ask her to check it out. 

Fingers crossed for you Regana.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 11:53:28 PM »
My two cents is the PT is not able to tell from the outside .. on what may or may not have happened to your Implant.  The implant should be Xray'd. You should follow up with your  OS .   

The PT's are not doctors.  It would be malpractice on their part to say you have nothing to worry about.   

You want to keep in mind aseptic loosening and what a bitch it might be to deal with..   Here is a good link:

http://www.totaljoints.info/TKNEE_loose_details.htm

Offline Leithie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 05:23:09 PM »
My physio had a look at it yesterday, she's not happy.  She suspects I've damaged the outside ligament.  And I don't have a cruciate ligament across the top it may make the knee unstable if the other ligament is havign to do all the work due to the injured one.

She sent me for xrays, however they weren't experts so I'm not convinced they knew what they were lookign at (minor injury clinic).  I've no left a message for the consulatant to call me.

The physio is happy to see me again, and suggests that they would normally put it in a brace, but she is not sure that is right for my knee being a TKR.

It's not painful it is mainly sore to touch on the front near shin and at the outside.

She said she ahd discussed it with her other physio colleagues and they were all "how young?" and "a knee replacement".  Mainly it is older people that they have in that have fallen on their knee replacements and their treatment would different to a young person like me.

So now i just have to wait on the consultant getting in touch.

Offline ellies

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »
I had my TKR 3 1/2 years ago now & last year fell on it very heavily so it was 2 1/2 years old.  I called my OS's secretary who got me in to see him within 2 days. He x-rayed it & all was good.  To me it looked awful, VERY swollen & an odd shape, but my mind was instantly put at ease.  It took a while for the swelling to die down but it did & no damage.  As a result of the same fall I badly sprained my other ankle so the OS injected that with cortisone, under anaesthetic, & the results of that were instant. Brilliant stuff, but sadly couldn't be used in the knee because of the metalwork & fear of infection.
So, be patient, see the OS if you are worried, but probably no lasting damage.
Take care,
Ellen.
1998 scope R knee
2002 scope R knee, bone graft R knee
2003 scope R knee
2003 scope L knee
2004 scope L knee
2004 ACI L knee
2004 2 x scopes L knee
2005 TKR L knee

Offline Leithie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:59:28 PM »
 :)  Hi, I saw my consultant today, all ok.  No significant damage done.  He says i've strained the latteral ligament.  I've lost a bit of range, but he didn't seem to concerned.  I've to do quad strenghtening stuff and cycle.

It'll probably take about 3 months to be better.

Currently all the bruising has gone and I'm off work.  It's not to painful when I'm doing nothing.  Little light walking and that's it pinching.  Which is very frustrating.

Offline ellies

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 09:35:53 PM »
I'm glad there is no lasting damage & you will soon be completly better. Keep strengthening those quads & continue with your progress.

Take care & try to stay upright !!  :D

Ellen
1998 scope R knee
2002 scope R knee, bone graft R knee
2003 scope R knee
2003 scope L knee
2004 scope L knee
2004 ACI L knee
2004 2 x scopes L knee
2005 TKR L knee