Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: my rtkr birthday and a few problems  (Read 1727 times)

Offline fcrist

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
my rtkr birthday and a few problems
« on: September 13, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »
Hi It's been a while since i posted here my right knee had a birthday on 8/29/08.I am still not totally pain free.Going down stairs is still moderatley painful.sometimes whem i stand  from sitting or roll over in bed i get a popping with some pain in the lower lateral side of my knee.My left knee which was perfectly fine is now starting to cause occassional pain.probably due to favoring right knee for 6 years.can anyone tell me the approx percentage of loss of use of a new knee vs a natural knee

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: my rtkr birthday and a few problems
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:42:28 PM »
Happy new Knee Bday.  I think the most loss is in kneeling on the floor and not putting pressure on the implant. A few twitches of poking pain that I never had to deal with and sometimes the quad throbs. Other than that.. I been very blessed.  My knee the natural one was bad news. I knew the implant was going to be a blessing with my first steps

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »
Happy belated birthday! Wow, I can't believe it's already been a year for you. You will find you continue to improve in the second year. I am now at 22 months and am MUCH better than I was at 12 months. I have also found I just can't do some of the things I thought I would be able to do. For example, I have given up going for walks. During the last year I had been doing 30-40 minutes, five days a week. But my knee was always sore, so I have stopped. I can walk in "normal activity" ways with no pain, but there was something about that continuous, quicker walking that made me hurt. I'm really disappointed about that, because it was my main form of exercise. But I decided that even though I could do it, it just wasn't worth it. I also have problems going down stairs. I had the same problem before my TKR and was hoping the surgery would make it easier. I think it's because I have patella baja. My good knee also flares up sometimes. I was told it was due to "overcompensation" for so many years.

Anyway, hang in there. I do think you'll find more improvement.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline fcrist

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:28:23 PM »
Thanks Plumb, and Janet .

Frank