Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: need help with diagnostic...! feel really down!  (Read 5766 times)

Offline chrislowe3231

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: need help with diagnostic...! feel really down!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 08:04:56 PM »
Hello all....

Well, I had my appointment with my consultant today and have good news and bad news......

Good news is He has put me though for a MRI scan, and the waiting list is not too bad....

Bad news is, he thinks i have ruputured my cruciate ligament......what a shock that was to me!!!

he said there is something defenatly wrong because of the swelling, and he done a few tests where he sat on my foot and started pulling my knee around, and said there was def some giving there which is not good, and a sign of cruciate damage.....

Am really shocked and a bit gutted becuase of football etc, but am sort of glad i know what the problem is.....just vbring on the scan!!!

Just a few questions though, how long does it take to recover from cruciate surgery??? does any one in england know how long I should expect to wait for an op??

looks like no physical activie for a long while now!!!  :-[ :(
August 2008: Ruptured ACL, lateral meniscus tear

August 2009: Hamstring graft to repair ACL, removed Laterel Meniscus.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 09:57:30 AM »
Oh my goodness!!!
Your cruciate ligament - that would certainly explain the giving way without locking!!!

First of all - dont be gutted, I have a friend who has done it on both knees (at different times) and each time he had the surgery to repair the ligament and was back playing football after his recovery.

Recovery is probably different for everyone, depending on the severity of tear etc... Search this site for info - you will find plenty of people who have had this surgery done.

The MRI will show it up anyway.

Im sorry that this is the outcome for you but I think its better to know than to be getting told you just sprained your knee!!!!
I hope your MRI comes up soon, shows plenty of info and they operate on you pronto.

You might ask about doing pre-op physiotherapy, there are plenty of exercises you can safetly do without causing any damage that will help you to maintain quad strength which will help with your recovery. Things like straight leg raises for example. Its well worth looking into because the more muscle you maintain the quicker you will recover.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline benjinh0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 12:29:05 PM »
hi there i am new to this site. i was reading through the thread and was thinking ACL as the same happened to me. I injured my right knee back in aug 07 playing football and thinking back i heard the pop. went hospital and they said badly bruised! they pulled my leg about and said no ligament damage and told me to rest from footy for 2-3 months. after 3 months i played again and it just gave way when turning so went to gp who referred me for mri. when scan came back turned out to be ACL and damaged meniscus. had the op on 25th sept 08 which was ACL using my hamstring as graft remove large part of meniscus inside and small from outside of knee. before op my knee kept locking with it hard to straighten, abit of a wiggle and pain then hard to bend until it freed itself. this was only real pain and no real probs from ACL unless i played footy. the OS told me my ACL was shredded but was clinging on to the PCL giving abit of stability. glad op is out the way but am struggleng to sleep with the pain, hopefully be easier by 2 week mark. Hope you get sorted and dont worry!

Offline chrislowe3231

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 01:08:10 PM »
Ouch that sounds painfull!! Please let me know how u get on!!

Well, i have no instability now, or no locking, swelling has gone down lots, its still a bit sore when i hyperextend or try to squat but thats it.

Nothing i can really do now till my scan, which i hope will not be far away.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
Bear in mind this was something doctors didnt used to fix at all, you can walk around and have a normal life with no ACL (risking meniscus tears), but it will give way on you in a sport like football.

So chrislowe3231 you will probably feel close to normal before the op and only have the symptoms if you push it.

benjinh0 - pain like that totally normal less than 2 weeks after op - to best of my memory my friend who had it done had a lot of pain for 3 weeks, then made super improvements, was back playing football by 4 months.
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline benjinh0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »
nice to know the pain is normal! Im gonna really take my time as I dont want to take any risks, I'm 30 on sat and want  to make sure this is my first and last knee op!
il be happy if im playing this time next year.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 02:52:14 PM »
Chris, I had a feeling, but I'm sorry to hear it. If you are just an ACL tear and no cartilage tears (meniscus or articular), you have a good chance to be back in 6 months. The surgery kind of sucks, I admit it, but after 10 days you're rehabbing in PT and getting back to the way you were. Make sure you get a CPM machine for after surgery, it will ensure you get your full range of motion back. That is key with cruciate surgery. Lachman's are almost 100% accurate, the MRI is just a confirmation and make sure there isn't anything else going on. Suffice to say, you will be booking your surgery soon. The sooner the better right? All the best,
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline chrislowe3231

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 03:17:48 PM »
yeah sooner the better defintaly,

Can I just ask, what is a CPM machine???

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 04:29:42 PM »
Continuous Passive Motion Machine.

Watch this, it will give you hope and affirmation to have the surgery. You will be fine. Trust me, if I can go through it as a 39 year old mother of 2, you can easily sail through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rTJYyDIQzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EFSnLiZbJE&feature=related (here is where he mentions CPM)
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline leslest

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »
Good Luck with the knee, hopefully you wont have to wait to long for the op.I will say that if there  is any other damage within the knee joint itself, they will find it when they go in with the arthroscope. I follow your progress with interest. See ' my poor knee'
leslest

Offline chrisMancini

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »
Hi Chris,
 I was reading through your post and thught I would wish you well.
Lt knee Meniscou  6/07
Lt Knee Plica rem 10/07
Rt Knee Meniscous  12/07
Lt TKA 5/08/2008
 Rt TKA 10/15/2008

Offline miss_sporty

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »
Hi, I've been away sorry for not replying sooner. I'm sorry that its turned out to be more than you expected, when is your MRI booked for?

I didn't have an MRI and my operation ended up being 3 months after my correct referral on the NHS, although it would have been about 4 and 1/2 months if there hadnt been a cancellation. hope you get it done soon! it might be worth seeing a physio before to build up your muscles, i've lost alot of mine since the surgery and they werent that great before.

in answer to your question about the surgery. i had mine on the 18th of july and am now about 11 or 12 weeks post op and am very pleased with how its going. i have just been away on an active biology trip with school so my ROM has decreased a bit and swelling increased due to more activity and less time to focus on physio and icing, but just before i went on the trip i was at about 2 degrees off full hyperextension and had full flexion aswell so had almost full ROM. i will start running in 2-3 weeks and then will hopefully be back to things like tennis at 6-7 months and everything at 9 months assuming all is well.
hope you are feeling ok about it, ask any questions if you want,
megan

Torn ACL
Hamstring graft reconstruction
Patellar tendon graft reconstruction

Offline chrislowe3231

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »
Morning all!

Well had some great news come though the post this morning, They have booked my scan and its this fri! Cant believe how quickly it has come though to be honest, but well chuffed!

They also said will be 2 weeks after that i have an appointment but i can live with that.

Also ive been out on my bike, been on cross trainer in the gym, and doing loads of exercises, and have no pain or less ROM. but does swell up a bit. do u all recommend to carry on, or just leave it for a while? its just killing me doing no exercise as am so active normally.

Offline benjinh0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Hi chris, I was told to do as much exercise as possible before the op, the fitter you are the better you will heal. Also after the op the calf and quad muscles will deteriorate due to lack of use so the bigger they are pre op the better. I am now 11 days post op and the pain has subsided alot and I can now sleep well. the swelling has gone down alot but not completely, I think when it does I will get alot of movement back. Good luck with it all and keep your chin up!

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2008, 01:57:01 PM »
hey chris,
excellent stuff, glad they are moving fast.

as far as exercise goes - yeah do what you can for sure, so long as you are not hurting yourself do it. its not going to be long nw before they sort you out anyway - better to keep the muscles as good as you can. just dont do anything that entails twisting or pivoting on that leg. Bike is good, as is cross trainer - just dont go trying to play football!!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

support