Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fabella Removal  (Read 5461 times)

Offline shoeman8000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fabella Removal
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:58:28 PM »
I have been diligently searching to try and find information on the surgery that i recently had, a fabella removal ( or surgery on the Posteo-lateral corner?), but have failed due to the rarity of the surgery/injury. So these are the things that i was wondering: what is the recovery time? In talking to my doctor, he gave me a very broad time frame (could be 3 months, could be 6 months, could be a year, "i don't really know," he said), so i haven't really had the opportunity to get any closure. Is the pulling feeling on that part of your knee natural? Because when i exercise, and sometimes i over-do it, there is a "pull" feeling. And finally, how long is it until you can fully recover and no longer have to worry about the injury? I was thinking of playing in a flag football league 4 months post-surgery, and was wondering if that is too soon? If you could help me in any way with tips or suggestions or give me a realistic time frame, i would really appreciate it! Thanks for your time!  ;D

-Shoeman8000

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Fabella Removal
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »
Hi

I had a fabella removed in Jan 06. The fabella is embedded at the head of the gastroc tendon. It is a sesamoid bone just like the patella. Mine was causing pain and snapping to the posterolateral side and was getting impinged in my TKR. You can read my story of my Fabella removal in the link I will provide. I had several other procedures done during this surgery and 2 weeks post surgery I dislocated my prothesis laterally so I never had a recovery.. I remember it took about 4-6 mos to not feel pain and tightness when I did hamstring curls, calf raises and extension.. The tendon needs to heal after being debrided of the fabella. You are correct that this is very rare.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/183

Hope this helps

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline shoeman8000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
yeah, that is very helpful! i read that post a while ago, before i knew how to post on this site, so i just posted a question on a different note that you wrote, which obviously didn't work haha. But anyway, have you read any information on this procedure? Because like i said, i haven't been able to find any information on it, to see what is normal and what's not. Also, do you think it would be a bad decision to play flag football on october 17 if i had surgery on June 16? Sorry to ask so many questions, it's just that my doctor didn't do a very good job explaining this to me. Thanks!

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:32:58 AM »
Hi

Your OS would be the best person to make the call on whether or not you are ready to play flag football. You want to make sure the area where it was removed has healed enough.

I haven't found info on the procedure of removal, just the diagnoses. There just isn't much out there since it is so rare.

Here is a book page discussing a return to sports after removal. Page down just a bit to #7 on the list.

http://books.google.com/books?id=7KzvoOXuEQ8C&pg=PA452&lpg=PA452&dq=fabella+excision&source=web&ots=73eTIyibmD&sig=9TbWTNkB8ZQE3RxiiU9RA8nU7vU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result

Pam

4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline shoeman8000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:22:55 AM »
ok great! thank you so much for your willingness to help me and my knee problem. It has really helped me emotionally to finally figure these things out. It's nice talking to someone that has gone through the same thing i have. The last link that you attached was very helpful and a good read! Thanks again, i really appreciate it!   :)

-shoeman