Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Microfracture failure?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline jgoldzman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Microfracture failure?
« on: September 13, 2008, 07:53:28 PM »
Almost 7 moths ago, I had microfracture in a 1 inch lesions in my left medial femoral condyle.   I had complications immediately (pulmonary embolism) and recovery has been up and down ever since. 

For the first 8 weeks post-op, I was fullly non-weigh bearing and religously attached to my CPM.  I then followed a strict PT program and was discharged to a home program in June.  Everything was going well untill mid-July, when I got a little ahead of myself and overdid it on a walk.  By the time I was done with my walk, I felt sharp pain in my knee when the weigh would shift in ceratin directions and also when I would climb stairs - and specifically when I would walk up the stairs.  However, no swelling.  Went back to PT and back to my OS, and both just wanted to give my knee some more time.  Took about 6 weeks of limited activity and more PT, but that pain in my knee finally went away. 

That is, until 2 days ago.  I went to the mountains for lunch, leisurely walked around town, and suddenly, the pain in my knee came back.  The weather was about 30 degrees colder than where I live, and it was rainiy, so maybe that had something to do with it?  But again, I can't climb stairs, do the eliptical, or walk for long distnaces.

I am terrified that the surgery failed, and everyone around keeps telling me (including my OS) that it'll just take more time, and that I should expect taht there will be times when I expereince pain.  However, the microfracture was my third major surgery on the same knee in less than two year; the previous two surgeries failed.  So, I don't have a very good track record and not a whole lot of confidence either  Please, if anyone out there has had this similar up and down situration post-microfracture, I would love to hear from you.   

I also went back to my OS 5 days ago. Again, he feels like I'm healing and thought that because I don't have any swelling and that the pain subsided after some time.    I just don't feel confident and not sure what to do.
10/06 LK, torn ACL & medial meniscus
10/07 LK, ACLR allograft, meniscus repair
7/07 LK, partial medial menisectomy
9/07 LK, re-torn medial meniscus, ACL cyclops lesion & torn articular cartilage
2/08 LK, partial medial menisectomy, microfracture & ACL cleanup
2/08 pulmonary embolism

Offline over it

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Microfracture failure?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »
I had a microfracture done over a year ago on my right knee and 2 more done on my left knee this past June.  Unfortunately, this procedure isn't a quick fix, as far as time goes.  You mention the mountains and temperature changes; where are your from?  I live in Colorado and the temperature changes, especially cold, create increase pain in both my knees.  I still have pain with walking in my most recent microfracture, but the one completed over a year ago is doing great!  I can't run at all on either side, but at least I can walk on my right pain free now.  I am still hopeful that my left will continue to get better.  I have time to wait.  You could ask your OS for a second look scope if you feel so strongly, think that the microfracture failed and continue to have so much pain.  Have you checked out the Steadman/Hawkins website regarding microfractures? 
Cathy

Offline jgoldzman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 04:43:39 AM »
Hi Cathy, thanks for your feedback.  Good to know that at least someone out there has had some success.  Gives me hope.  I know the recovery is difficult, and in many ways, I'm really recovering from 3 surgeries rather than just one.  Readjusting expectations is so difficult though.

So I live in Boulder and am rehabbing at Boulder Center for Sports Medicine.  I did my initial consult for the microfracture with Steadman Hawkins, but ultimately chose Dr. Traina at Orthopedic Associates (he's the Denver Nuggets doc).  Another surgeon in Boulder did my first two procedures, and I am undecided on whether or not I chose the right doc this time around.  Who did your surgery? 

As far as weather, I did notice increased soreness last winter, when I was waiting to have the microfracture.  And I lived in Breck for 3 winters, so I know that my body is not a huge fan of bone chilling cold.  I went to Vail on Wednesday, and didn't do much more than meander around the village and go for a short stroll down the bikepath.  It was rainy and about 30 degrees colder than the front range, so I expected that I would feel increased soreness.   But the acute pain I previously felt while I was say, stair climbing came back, which is what freaks me out.  It's 4 days later, and I'm still can't comfortable walk up a stair, but I'm less sore.  I have no pain during biking, can do all my strength training activities, and no swelling.  So, hopefully, this is just a flare up and not a burn out.

Anyways, thanks again for your feedback.  Just knowing that someone like yourself is healing helps:) 
10/06 LK, torn ACL & medial meniscus
10/07 LK, ACLR allograft, meniscus repair
7/07 LK, partial medial menisectomy
9/07 LK, re-torn medial meniscus, ACL cyclops lesion & torn articular cartilage
2/08 LK, partial medial menisectomy, microfracture & ACL cleanup
2/08 pulmonary embolism

Offline over it

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »
I live in Loveland.  Had my microfracture done by a doctor with the group Orthopeadic Center of the Rockies.  I had surgery years ago with Steadman/Hawkins (1997) without much improvement.  I personally wasn't very impressed with the clinic.  I felt like if you weren't a prof. athlete, you didn't get as much attention and time.  Also, I found out later, that Dr. Steadman doesn't do most of the surgeries; his fellows do. 

I also don't have much pain with biking... thank heavens.  It's about the only thing left that I can do without much pain.  The only time I have pain is if I have to stand to pedal.  The flat, paved surface is all I can tolerate. 

I usually tear my meniscus which causes me intense pain with walking.  I have had 8 meniscectomies and 1 repair on both knees; along with the microfractures and lateral releases.  Do you have a family history of arthritis?  I am 45 years old.  My weight is appropriate for my height. (5'9'' 147 lbs).  I and the doctor don't understand why my knees are so bad for someone realitively young.  If I had been 15 years older, he'd have done bilat. knee replacement by now.  I have scant to moderate swelling depending on my activity.

I am optimistic that things will improve following this most recent surgery in June.  You phrased it quite well that readjusting expectations is so difficult.  Hang in there. 

Cathy

Offline Michele1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »
I was totally unfamiliar with what microfracture even was, didn't have a clue, and when I went in for surgery to trim a torn meniscus, the doc decided to do a microfracture too.  Unbeknownst to me, and without anyone's consent!  In my 47 years I NEVER had a knee problem, nor did I ever have pain.  With the tear, I had some swelling and catching that wouldn't go away, but it wasn't extremely painful.  When he explained it to my husband after surgery, he made it sound like he FIXED a fracture, and for months and months, that's what I thought he did!  When I happened to come across an article about microfracture, I was stunned.  I'm the type that researchs EVERYTHING before making a decision.  I researched meniscus tear like you wouldn't believe!  If he'd told me I NEEDED the surgery, I would have told him to let me do some research before making a decision. 

Then, to top it off, I got blood clots a couple days after the surgery.  Taking blood thinners made the microfracture holes bleed into my knee, and I ended up having 100cc of blood drained - the most painful thing I've ever experienced.  I was flat on my back for almost 3 weeks.  So much for the necessary PT for good healing.

It will be 2 years on December 7.  I have contacted an attorney about filing a malpractice lawsuit.  My knee has never been the same, it is uncomfortable ALL the time.  I was a runner, and I will never be able to go back to running.  I can barely walk a mile without feeling pain in the knee and sometimes it doesn't track right and starts "clicking".  I can bike, but I feel the knee the whole time. 

If someone asked me about microfracture surgery, I would tell them to run as fast as they could!  Or be damn sure their doctor has given them all the information necessary in order to recover properly.

support