Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 10 months on crutches - Please help me!  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: 10 months on crutches - Please help me!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 04:25:13 AM »
Hi Allie,

How are you ?

Just checking up to see how you went with your appointment yesterday and your meeting at work with your boss.

I saw my sports physician this morning and don't need to worry about knee physio anymore. Very excited about that. He's going to tell my OS that I think it's a waste of time doing knee physio and said he should be ok with it.

Don't worry about your ranting. We all feel like that sometimes.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline allie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
Hi KJ

Thank-you for asking about my appointment and meeting.  It all went ok.  I saw the rehab doctor first and he referred me straight back to the OS- luckily he had a clinic that day and they fitted me right in as an urgent case, otherwise his first appointment was December 29th!! ( he is a famous doctor in Korea- apparently and is the top knee doctor in Seoul).  He said that as there has been some improvement in ROM since he last saw me in May he would like to try different pain meds and has put me back on 3 different meds including NSAID's and 2 pain meds.  I have to try for 6 weeks with physio who will now be advised by the sports medicine team at the hospital with the main aim of weaning me off the crutches.  If that doesnt work he said I will need to consider further surgery. He has also referred me back to the pain clinic possibly to have another sympathetic nerve block or Ketamine therapy again.

Today I had physiotherapy, I tried lots of different, new exercises.  the physio still says it is not safe for me to go down to one crutch ( due to the knee giving way) but I asked him to let me know as soon as he thinks I should start with this. 

So I will keep trying for another 6 weeks but will absolutely insist on them trying something else  if I cannot get down to one crutch (at least) within the 6 weeks.  I think (hope!) that this is reasonable!!

The meeting with my boss was nothing to worry about and was really about something else entirely, except I ended up crying about my knee and facing another 6 weeks on the crutches (how embarrasing :-[)

That is good news about your knee physio, your sports physician sounds great.  i hope your OS listens to him!

Any more news about your friend?

Allie xxx
Pre 1992 Repeated dislocations both knees
1992  bi Lateral Release
2007 dislocation left knee
Dec 07 dislocation right knee
May 08 arthroscopy and MUA
Jun 08  achillies tendon surgery
Jun 09 arthroscopy and MUA
Jul 09 discharged from physio- not working
Jul 09 still on crutches (18/19 months)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 01:07:50 PM »
Hi Allie,

Glad you were referred back to the OS. It sounds like they are on the ball, better than the rehab doctor you are seeing. Sorry to be blunt !!! I think doing physio for another 6 weeks is reasonable. How often do you have to do physio ?

Did you ask the rehab doctor about getting referred to the sports medicine department ? I reckon you need to be seen by a sports doctor/physician to review your overall rehab program. I'm sure they would be much more proactive.

My OS will listen to my sports physician. He's actually stopped physio on a number of times, so my OS probably won't be surprised. Just hate wasting time.

Been chatting on line with my friend. We are seeing each on Saturday. Going to take the dogs for a walk and have lunch.

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty