Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: NHS Wait Times  (Read 1221 times)

Offline maggy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
NHS Wait Times
« on: August 09, 2003, 07:45:21 AM »
Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the wait times under the NHS.  I've been living in the States for years so I'd be starting completely from scratch with finding a GP for a referral etc.  Ultimately I want to see a sports OS and will most likely need surgery.  What are the wait times for that?   What factors affect your waiting period?

Thanks.

Offline sm365

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: NHS Wait Times
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 02:00:15 PM »
Hi. First of all. GOOD LUCK!! It depends a bit on where you are living in the UK. South East are well known for long waiting times. When you see your GP, he will refer you to either the OS or physio at the local hospital. This app can vary in time for when you get it. I saw my GP and got an app with the OS 8 months later (during this time I went private and have not been back to the NHS). The OS will then decide if an op is required or if you need physio. I have a friend who was referred to a hospital physio after seeing the GP. He waited 8 months for th physio app and then he would only get physio every few weeks (this might depend on what the physio thinks). Having spoken to a few people, the waiting list for the op is generally around 1-2 years. Again, this depends on location, need for operation etc. The follow up physio will also be another matter. Following my major dislocation a few years ago, I went to A and E. I was able to see the OS within a week and then physio straight once the cast was off. I was doing physio about once a week but was discharged when I was able to do stairs!! They don't seem to feel that you need to do it for long. I feel that they should not discharge you so soon. If you have an injruy and go to A and E this seems to be a faster route into things. However, I have a friend in London who snapped his patella tendon and has had good treatment. I think it does depend on your location and you would need to constantly pester people too. All the best
arthscopy, open medial femoral patella reconstruction for dislocations and maltracking following dislocations 20-11-02

naz

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 07:15:57 PM »
Wales has extremley high waiting times too for orthopaedics, I paid to go privately at a cost of 100 but if you'd rather not pay for that initial consult then you ould be looking anything up to 3 years wait.

naz

Offline sm365

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 08:44:39 PM »
Another thought. If you have not already had treatment for your knee would you not be able to get some private medical cover? If you needed an op, it might be worth it in the long run. Yes, you could get an inital consulation private. If you go and see someone who also works for the NHS then they might refer you back to NHS for an op. This way you would reduce the waiting time for the consultation.
arthscopy, open medial femoral patella reconstruction for dislocations and maltracking following dislocations 20-11-02

Offline maggy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 01:34:47 AM »
Thanks all.  Unfortunately I have already had surgery on my knee so private insurance is kind of out.  The surgery (meniscal repair) seems to be a failure and I think I will need another surgery in a few months.   I don't mind paying privately for the consult and that seems quite reasonable to reduce the waiting time.  If I were to do that would there still be a 1-2 year wait time for an actual surgery?  

I'm mostly concerned b/c I have had really bad maltracking problems since surgery and I am afraid I am destroying my patella!  Also I hike/work outdoors a lot for my job and cannot do so at the moment.  I might be forced to go private I suppose.  It's just been horrible timing on this whole thing ....

I'll be in the Liverpool/Manchester area btw.

Offline sm365

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 04:07:10 PM »
I don't think that there would be any way that your OS (if you see him private) would be able to help you 'jump' the list for the NHS op.  I am not sure how things are in the NOrth West though, maybe waiting lists are less. A good person to ask is the OS secretary they are always great for advice and help and might also know about the NHS situation. My advice would be to go and see the OS for a private consultation (best to check if he also does NHS if you wanted to have the op on the NHS) asap and that way you can get started on the system. I got my GP to refer me to the private OS but I don't think that this makes any differene. You should be able to get an app within a few days for a private consultation. Good luck

support