Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: RA and Healing?  (Read 11439 times)

Offline Jenniferm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
RA and Healing?
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been recently diagnosed with RA - about 3 months ago.  I was devestated but then I realised that it made sense of my myriad types of pain and limitations.  I went on methotrexate but I have not been on it long enough to see if it works.  I have been on NSAIDs for almost 6 years!  Then I fell I fractured my patella and needed surgical repair which was 3 weeks ago and am in a knee immobilizer.  I am not sure about healing and RA myself but hope to see a rhematologist this week - I live in Bermuda so he only comes every few months!  I will let you know if he says there is any problems with autoimmune and healing or indeed any link between the RA and the increased possibility of softening of ligaments which can lead to injuries like my OS suggested!!  (no one told me that before, so not sure if its true!)

Take care and I hope you all get some answers soon. 

Jennifer 
August 15 - broke patella vertically, knee cap in thigh - about 2 inch separation.
August 16 - surgery
Now - waiting in an immobiliser for the next 3 weeks of healing.  NWB or bending.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Re: RA and Healing?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
my OS told me that my autoimmune diseases (fibro and RA) just make healing a little slower and more painful than a 'normal' person.. i never thought to ask if my autoimmune issues could cause anything different to happen. i do know that my 'good' knee is being eaten up by arthritis equally, all thru the joint but that is just the disease. good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis