Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: multiple fractures  (Read 808 times)

Offline betsy.cubs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
multiple fractures
« on: September 06, 2008, 04:45:38 PM »
Hi there. I am totally new to this site and I'm sure lots of you know what I'm going through. On June 3rd, I had a riding lawnmower accident and broke my ankle, tibia, patella and a few bones in the back of my knee. I started off with a brace ( the one that moves the degrees). I have been in therapy since the end of June. It is now Sept. 6. I was in a wheelchair for about 7 weeks because when on my crutches my leg would swell the size of a watermelon. I used the crutches for short trips and around the house. I then moved to a cane for a few weeks. I am a teacher and I started school a couple of weeks ago and I am miserable. I cannot straighten my leg at all. It is swollen all of the time and the knee pain is horrible. I have a lot of pain around the kneecap and it will not bend all of the way! I am still limping terribly, and sometimes it just gives out on me. I have been in therapy 3 days a week. I just had my MRI yesterday to find out what is going on, but I haven't heard back yet. I have not had surgery and I am just wondering what on earth would cause this not to heal. I am nervous that I will find out Monday that I am going to find out I have to have surgery and what kind. Any ideas???

Offline SuzanneT

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: multiple fractures
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:17:39 AM »
Hi Betsy, I understand what you are going through.  I was a teacher when I had 3 broken bones including the patella, tibial plateau, and fibula.  My best estimate is that you have gone back to work before your time of healing.  I thought that I could go back to teaching after my accident and soon found out that I needed to stay home and take some time out for myself.  Sometimes, you just have to let the work go and consider what is best for you.  I'm thinking that you need to stay home, keep your leg elevated a lot, and give yourself the proper time to heal.  If you check around this site, you will discover that your injury is not as typical as one might think, and requires more time to heal than other fractures.  Take care of yourself.  Suzanne
12/31/06 tibial plateau fracture (medial)
              fibula fracture
              patella fracture
              (no surgery, long, slow recovery)
   8/1/07  7 months, beginning FWB
   8/1/08  more physical therapy to develop
               calf & quads
   8/21/08 climbing stairs

Offline SuzanneT

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: multiple fractures
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:29:52 AM »
By the way, I did not have surgery, either.  My understanding is that without the support of hardware for support, the healing time is a lot longer.  In my case, I was right on the edge of surgery.  It's been a long haul, but I'm thankful that the surgeons made that decison.  I have just completed another round of physical therapy, continue to do PT at home, and have just graduated to doing my own PT at the gym.  Let me know if I can be of any help.  Suzanne
12/31/06 tibial plateau fracture (medial)
              fibula fracture
              patella fracture
              (no surgery, long, slow recovery)
   8/1/07  7 months, beginning FWB
   8/1/08  more physical therapy to develop
               calf & quads
   8/21/08 climbing stairs