Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: partial acl tear and arthritis  (Read 1152 times)

Offline lcoombs39

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
partial acl tear and arthritis
« on: September 05, 2008, 06:49:43 PM »
I fell on a staircase at work in September 2007 and had my first surgery for a meniscus tear in November.  The pain never subsided and actually became considerably worse.  I manage a restaurant and I am on my feet 9-10 hours a day.  After six months the doctor finally gave in and repeated the MRI with showed additional tears.  During my second surgery in July 2008 the doctor found that my acl was partially torn also but chose not to fix it at that time.  He now says it doesn't need to be fixed because in 10 years I will need a knee replacement.  He also said the arthritis is too bad.  It causes me so much pain to be on my feet all day and I don't know what to do.  Is he right not to fix it and I just need to suffer through the pain for 10 more years?  By the way I am a 40 year old female.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: partial acl tear and arthritis
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:25:46 PM »
Unless you're playing some sports it's not really necessary to have the ACL fixed. More than likely the pain is from your arthritis and not from the tear. Fixing the ACL likely would not relieve your pain. I walked around without an ACL for 17 years. The torn meniscus I got as a result and the arthritis are what caused my pain.

If only one compartment in your knee is bad you could be a candidate for a partial knee replacement. If that's the case you'll need the ACL rebuilt. You'd probably do well by getting another opinion or two. Some doctors only do certain procedures and will only offer you those options.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: partial acl tear and arthritis
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:52:31 AM »
I have to second what jathib has said about the pain more than likely coming from the arthritis in your knee. I've been w/o an ACL for 3 years now & beyond the occasional misstep which causes fleeting pain, the aches I have are from the torn menisci. I've been fortunate to have little arthritis despite my years. I was told there'd be no reconstruction of the ACL because of my age. I was 67 at the time of my injury & honestly I don't find my lifestyle to be inhibited in any way by my knee. Can you see anyone who can help you with the arthritis pain to see if that makes a difference.

I've been having acupuncture for my back but when I told the doctor about the knee problems he "needled" it, too. It's honestly not as stiff as it used to be. Perhaps that alternative might help until you can have either a partial knee replacement or a TKR. I'd definitely look to someone else for another opinion. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.