Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kathy's Post-Op (TKR)  (Read 3895 times)

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Kathy's Post-Op (TKR)
« on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:05 PM »
It's day two.  I was hoping to get on yesterday, but I was having a bit of trouble concentrating...pain meds.  You understand.

This has been pretty painful, but no pain, no gain.  I can't even do a single leg raise...

I had to report to the hospital at 6 am yesterday.  I was first in the lineup and they took me into the OR at 8am.  I woke up in pain...

It took me a while to figure out the pump for the demoral, so that has helped.  It wasn't working at first, so my first hour or so was awful.  My laptop battery is wearing down, so I'm gonna recharge.  smooches!  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
Fixed ACL Patellar Graft March 2005 (That's right 13 years later)
TKR Sept 08

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
Re: Kathy's Post-Op (TKR)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:37:29 AM »
Kathy,

Hoping you will have a good recovery. How's the pain? Have you been able to keep on top of it? Will be checking up on you to see how you are making out.

Best Wishes,
Candace
Who knew knees were so complicated!

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:38:32 AM »
Candace-

I think I have my arms around the pain.  As long as I punch the trigger before the pain sets in...and when I'm still it doesn't hurt too bad.  I'm using a CPM machine...up to 50% flex and 0 extension.

I got my cathedar out this afternoon....so am forced to get up to potty.

There's an old man in the room next door, and he snores and I can hear when his sleep apnea kicks in.  Quite annoying as I was looking forward to sleeping sans my hubby's snoring.  lol

Well I just punched the demoral...I think I'm going to have a good night sleep.  smooches!  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:51:14 AM »
Glad to hear from you!! Keep up with those meds.   Can anyone say earplugs please hahah. Why oh why is the always a snorer in every crowd hahah.  ;D. Just lay back, let the nurses take care of you and get better! Remember, you are in the recovery phase now.

Best wishes,
Candace

Offline WorkinWings

• Forum Faithful
  • Fixed my failed lateral release: back to flying!
    • Failed lateral release: medial subluxation of the patella
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »
Kathy!

Great to hear from you!  Congratulations on the new knee!

Hope it soon starts to feel like that is what you have, and not just like a new wound...   :P 

Sounds like you're doing great, though, managing your pain and in good spirits. 

Hope your neighbor from next door quieted down and you were able to get some sleep!  Wow, that's some powerful snoring...  :o

Let us know how you're doing?  Took me a while to find you here--sorry!

Are you home, now?

(((Hugs)))

Angela
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:23:39 PM by ClippedWings »
Feb'00: Twisting injury (w/"pop")
dx - bone bruise of lateral tibial plateau
Apr'00 to May'07: intermittent pain; NO instability
7/May/07: Lateral Release (which created instability)
17/Jan/08: dx - iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation s/p LR
16/Jan/09: Back to function!
[email protected]

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:07:32 PM »
All-

I got to come home today.  Had to stop on the way for a walker, and my meds.  I have to take shots..anticoagulant...nice.  I have a CPM and it's funny....I sleep when I'm laying there.  I'm at 85 degrees.

I wasn't supposed to be able to come home til tomorrow...but everything is going OK, and my doc KNOWS I'm serious about getting well, so he let me come home.  I was pretty happy.

I was very happy with the staff at the hospital.  All very nice and patient.  First day or so was pretty miserable.  I kept forgetting about the pump demoral on the first day, so on the second day I was more aware, but then I was pretty messed up!  I had a catheter so I didn't have to get up, except for PT.  Wednesday afternoon I got rid of the catheter which made me try to be more accountable for my self.  Someone from the staff still wanted to be there when I got up, but didn't help much.  I preferred no help though....sometimes when they help move the leg it's almost like playing tug of war...can anyone say...'DON'T TOUCH ME!!!!'    lol  I got pretty good at lifting my surgery leg with my good leg and swinging it around so I could put it where I needed it.  I got to take a shower when I got home...thank God!  My hair was extremely gross!  I'm happy to be home.  We're ordering pizzaand gonna watch movies.  I took a bunch of movies to the hospital....didn't watch any of them.

Well, I'll keep you guys posted.  I need to go put my purse contents into a little backpack.  Smooches!  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »
Hey... welcome home!
It sounds like you've done really well so far. Movies sound like just the right idea, if you can focus long enough to figure out what is going on hahah. I remember the first movie I tried to watch my first day home from the hospital. I kept having to rewind it over and over as I would somehow lose track of what was going on and realize I had no idea what the movie was even about lol.

Keep up the good work!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Candace

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 04:28:43 AM »
Question...while I was in the hospital, ice wasn't a very important thing.  In fact I kept asking for it, but the ice packs that were given to me were 'padded' and weren't cold.

Now that I'm home I've been icing with ziplocks and ice.  I like to freeze my knee....it feels good.  But my ROM has gotten slightly worse...just my knee is stiffer.  Is this something I should worry about??

Thanks.  Smooches.  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
Hi Kathy,

I am pleased to hear that you are home now. Sounds like you are doing wonderfully well.

If I was you I'd continue icing. It could be that your knee is tightening up. Just do what you can.

When I came home from hospital I remember watching lots of dvds. It was great therapy.

Look forward to hearing the next instalment.  :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 12:44:08 AM »
Pretty good day...got up.  Laid back down.  Slept in the CPM.  ROM is 0/92.  I'll get to 95 this evening when we watch (haha I'll be snoring) boxing.  Went to Wal-Mart for a few things.  Came home.  Hubby grilling burgers on the grill.  Gonna be an uneventful night.

So what's the scoop on the walker verses crutches in terms of TKR?  I got a walker, but am skilled in using my crutches.  My walker doesn't fit through my bathroom doors.  Quite generally I don't like using the walker.  Does anyone know why I felt like the staff at the hospital was steering me away from crutches???

My thigh still hurts like mad....when I walk I feel like the blood rushes to my leg and it seems to hurt more.  I know...what a pain, huh??

Well, I'm gona chill on the couch for a while.  Smooches.  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:43:43 AM »
Most people are not strong enough for crutches.  Personally I went on crutches on day 10.   Prior to my TKR I was mostly on my crutches all the time. I believe you are ahead of  most people.  Keep it up.  Your ROM is excellent for the amount of time you been post op.   Wait until you reach  135 flex it really is a great day when you can do that. 

For a puffy leg.  I was instructed to wear compression thigh highs and take my anti inflamitory.
Keep iciing that knee and keep up on your pain meds. 

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 11:25:48 AM »
Ah...now I get it.  I'm strong in terms of upper body, so crutches OK.  I guess I need to call and ask about about taking an anti-inflamatory.  I probably need to measure my fat thigh and see if it goes down.  It's pretty gross.

Do you know if I have to sleep in any particular position?  I have mostly been on my back, but keep wanting to roll on my side...I don't know if I'm going to hurt anything.  I don't know what this thing is supposed to feel like.  So far it's kind on clanky...but that's kind of how my knee was before the surgery...my knee was doing a constant bump and grind.  I just don't know what to expect, and no one really said anything about that.

Well, let me snooze for a while...thanks so much for all of the input and encouragement.   I very much appreciate you all!  Smooches.  Kathy
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:02:34 PM by yuntigrl »
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 12:16:38 PM »
Hi Kathy,

Sounds like you are doing wonderfully well. Good on you ! Keep up the good work.

I would try sleep on your back if you can, but just find a comfortable position to sleep. Once my OS told me to sleep with my knees bent so my knee cap wouldn't come out. My sports physician thought that was stupid as you can't tell someone how to sleep as you often move in the night.

Have you thought about putting a pillow under your knee ? I found that helped a bit after my surgery.

I hope watching DVDs is not getting too boring.  :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »
My nurse scolded me while in the hospital about putting a pillow under my knee...and I've read it somewhere since not to put a pillow under my knee.   I do try to sleep on my back, but every once in a while I get the urge to roll over on my side.....

I don't understand that about sleeping with your knees bent so your knee caps would stay in place.  I don't understand that....oh well.

Thanks so much for your reply.  I look forward to hearing from you again.  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Do not put a pillow under your knee since it can mess with your zero extention.  What I did I got a feather bed and folded it and elevated my legs so that my knee was straight all the time.  Pillows  under your knee can mess with your zero extension.

I am a side sleeper.. and it was great to hook my leg over the feather bed

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 07:38:16 AM »
I've been away for the weekend and just thought I'd pop in now and check up on you. It sounds like you are really on top of things!! I too am a side sleeper and I found if I could get just the right alignment of pillows I could make it work lol. However, at some point in the night I would generally move somehow and wake up in lots of pain. It was back to sleeping on my back for quite awhile. Takes getting used to!!

I hope hubby is taking good care of you!!

Cheers,
Candace

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »
Didn't sleep so well last night....the knee is really painful.  I have been managing well with one percocet...and had to take another mid-dose last night.  Rx says I can have 1-2 every 4-6 hours.  I've been doing well with 1 every 4 hours...but it was frustrating and I took another.  We'll see.  Is it normal for pain to surge and subside??

I've been spending about 5 hours a day in the cpm.  Up to 95 degrees flexion and -2 extension.  I didn't do much walking yesterday...I guess I need to go out and take a stroll today. 

I got up and showered this morning...I usually feel better after a shower..and I actually took the time to dry and style my hair...so I feel pretty good.

My husband has my day planned out in terms of entertainment...I have to get caught up on Sara Connor Chronicals so I will know what's happening tonight when the new season starts.  LOL

Ya'll have a great day.  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »
Hey Kathy,
I am sorry to hear you had a painful night. It does seem to happen that way for some reason. I am also very glad that your husband is taking good care of you! It is so much easier with a little TLC!

Take it easy and don't be shy about taking the meds if you need them. It is much easier to keep on top of the pain issue than to try to be brave and have that pain sneak up and take over.

All the best,
Candace

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »
At first I was trying to stay at 5mg every four hours.. for about a day..  Than I had my OS change it to 10 mg and give me a new RX for the higher strength.   The pain is like that for about 8 weeks.  or more..   After 8 weeks I was taking vicodin and darvocet (depending what type of pain I was in)   I was also given ultram, Which makes me sick and ready to pass out..

I was also given ambiem 5 mg and than when that didn't work I was give 10mg.   and when that didn't work..  I became a night owl and caught up on my Frazier DVD's  Plus all my Jane Austen DVD's .   Than Lord of the rings stuff.   There is nothing on between  3 and 5:30 in the AM.  While I figured I was up .. I always went to ten AM out patient PT and worked my butt off. Came home cat napped for a few hours after lunch. Came back to the land of the living around six thirty...  exhausted myself going up and down 15 stairs a few times.. and watched Fox TV.. American idol.

Which reminds me .. Whenever in the far out future my left  knee gets done.. do I plan it around the fall season when all the new TV shows are around.   Or do I plan it during the spring months when I can walk around outside and breathe in that fresh air.. sunshine.

Sounds like you are doing very well.  Do not try to stingy out your pain medication when you are in pain.  Believe me when the doctors feel you are ready to be cut off they will down grade you to something to make you as comfortable.  Or at least mine did.    My GP was pretty good about reassuring me that this type of operation he has seen other patients on far harder stuff that is harder to get off.

When you do not have pain anymore ..  You won't need it..  You won't even think about it..

why sit in pain..  The only person who feels the pain is you right now..

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »
So far the 5 mg every four hours has done pretty well....with a few exceptions.  Every once in a while it makes me feel incredibly jittery and I can't sit still.  It always hurts to an extent.

I have my first outpatient PT today...not sure what to expect.  I'm sure we're going to be recording all of the starting points in terms of strengthand ROM.  I imagine we'll see if I can get my foot all the way around on the bike....we shall see.  I'm ready to get this going.

Hmmmmm, I picked my time for surgery carefully.  I love to swim, so I waited until after Labor Day.  I take my grandkis swimming and love every minute, so that was my consideration.  I have enjoyed watching the political sparring....republicans sure mixed things up and it's fun to watch.  There are some new shows on now too, so that's a bonus.  Add a few hurricane's to the mix and I'm good...I would have been watching anyway.

Well, my day is SO busy...better get busy laying down and watching the news.  Smooches.  Kathy

Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
Hey Lauren,
I am glad the pain has been tolerable. It is also nice that you were able to plan the approximate date of your surgery. Up here in The Great White North ( which is very warm and sunny ) we don't really have the option of picking times of the year or dates. It is more or less wait until your name makes the top of the waiting list. I had thought I didn't want surgery in the summer, but now I am glad it was. It would have been difficult to sit for days on end in the house once the rain started, not to mention the ice and snow.

Good luck at your physio appointment. Sometimes it is helpful to take and extra pain med before you go. That's a tip that served me very well from another KneeGeek. Even now that I am 3 months post op, I still take one pill before physio. It's pretty much the only one, but it helps for sure.

Enjoy your day!

Candace

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »
Candace--

Thanks for the extra med tip....I had heard that before but forgot, so it was good to get a reminder.  It still hurt!!!!  LOL  Didn't do much.  I can't do a single leg raise.   >:(  I can do the side lifts but my quads are in refusal!!!  My ROM is very good 96/-2 degrees.  I had trouble with my quads after my ACL repair and we had to use estim.  I have a tens machine at home so I guess I need to start getting serious about it.  I'm not going to work it quite yet....my brain turns off the muscle when I have pain...and I'm not sure if the pain is from the new knee or if it's from the actual trauma from the surgery. When I try to do the SLR's my kneecap starts to spaz..painful.  I can LOWER my leg if someone raises it for me...so I guess I'm going to do a bunch of that today.  I need to get on my cpm...my son came over to hang out with me today and he's sleeping...haha.  I wonder who is caring for who???  LOL

Well, let me run along!!!  Thanks as always for your tips, and just knowing there is someone out there who knows what I'm going through is comforting.  I check frequently to see what new comments are there....I guess I'm needy.  This is the next best thing to hanging out with a bunch of folks who have all had knee woes...only difference is I don't have to brush my teeth first!!!  LOL  Have a simply marvelous day!  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »
Hello Kathy,
Speaking of having one's head in a fog... I called you Lauren hahaha. I am so sorry. Where did that come frome LOL.
How are you doing today? Still getting that same pain in the knee cap when doing the SLR's or is it starting to get easier with the passing of a day? I am heading out to physio now, myself, to see what new torture will await me :D. Last session was the stim on the quads while doing SLR's with weights on my ankle for 10 mins or so. That was tough!! Trying to get the quads going again.

Hope you are having a great day and that any company who may arrive will stay awake haha.

Candace

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »
I CAN DO SLR'S!!!!!!!  YEE HAW!!!!!!  I know that sounds stupid, but it has been a concern!  Was just doing negative reps (lowering the leg) and decided to give it a go and was able to just do them.  Now I'll do hundreds every day!  I feel like I'm getting somewhere now!!

Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »
Went all the way around on the bike at PT today....yeah!  Can do SLR's now.  The only thing that bothers me more than I think it should is the outside of my knee is very stiff when trying to extend all the way.  I pretty much doubled my exercises today....so getting there.  Yee Haw!
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 09:03:25 PM »
girl you are going to be stiff and swollen for at least 2 month.

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:13 PM »
keep it up!! You are doing great so far!!

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 05:04:42 AM »
Hey...anyone with input...please feel free.  My patella is hard as a rock.  Should I be massaging it yet.  Still have staples.  Kat
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 08:31:44 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed....I haven't improved my ROM since last week...any suggestions?!
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 12:21:30 AM »
Are your staples out yet?  I would suggest taking a bath and trying to get up..  It worked for me.. hehe.  Seriouslly. If you have a yoga ball and yoga strap.. Keep pulling your  knees in and out .. and I say this not to scare you.. AS HARD AND WITH AS MUCH STRENGTH AS YOU CAN POSSIBLIY GIVE.  You are still very early in your recovery.  I think at a little past 4 weeks. I was past 135 flex and zero extension.  I had to work on my heel toe and endurance.    You know walk across a busy street and a bus is two blocks away.. and see if you can get across before being road kill.   Go food shopping and bend and lift the bags from the cart to your car.  At six months I thought I could even carry a few bags until the little old lady down the street from me yelled at me for trying to do so much.  Said get the men to do it.

Rome was not built in a day..  So with that in mind.. Nor will your range of motion.  Keep up with your out patient PT.   As your PT if she does knee cap massage.   I know mine did.  Also she bent me like Gumby..  ouch ouch ouch...  I must say I kept all the pain in and teared a bit. but didnt scream.    There was a few screamers in my group.    The old biddies.. 

It is not easy..  Young - Old - Older.   Sometimes you think Omg this pain..   It is more or about the same you had .. before the operation and it is weeks later.    Give it a year.  It is not scientific or anything..   but about a year  you will feel strong and on your feet again.

These early stages.. are really baby steps on the bigger picture..    I am happy to read you are able to do the biike..  I never had that problem.  I did experience not being able to do a leg lift for about 10 days afterwards but your whole body trying to make sense of what was done.  Your muscles have to relearn everything.   Its the joys of the pitter patter of a shiny New Knee.  Look who is walking now!!!  You are doing fab. Keep up the good work and push push push that knee to bend.

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 03:08:28 AM »
No....my staples aren't out yet.  Wednesday they come out.  Sometimes it feels like my knee is going to split open....I don't guess it will.  I have to get a yoga ball and strap.  I used to have a long elastic from my acl PT, but I think I threw it away in the process of moving last spring.

At PT, my therapist pushes down on my knee and I think my tendency is to resist...and that seems to make it more painful.  I'm just real anxious about that, and frankly I dread that single thing about PT more than anything else.  I think I get more extension when I'm relaxed in front of the tv....all by myself.  It pretty much only hurts on the lateral side of the knee when I work on the extension...

I know, I know....baby steps.

Oh, another thing....I got estim and ice on my knee today at PT.  The only other time I've had estim was when my quads refused to cooperate after my acl.  This was rather pleasant and my knee felt pretty good for a while afterward.  Anyone ever hear of that??  We used ultrasound the other day, and that was OK too.  I'm a human touch junkie....I think massages should be covered by health insurance.  Get a cold, treat it with a massage.  Get a headache, treat it with a massage.  Get a pimple, treat it with the massage. 

Thanks for the feedback Plumb....I so very much appreciate your kind words of encouragement.  I look forward to hearing from you again.  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline Mookie11

• Forum Faithful
  • Ouch!
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 09:18:26 AM »
Hey Kathy,
I was away but now I am back trying to catch up on what you've been up to. It can sure be frustrating, can't it!! Just hang in there and try to stay positive as much as possible. It is so true, as others have posted, that it seems to take a year. 

Candace

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »
Ask your OS on how much the PT should press down on your knee.  They have been known to be too forceful and break things.

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 03:41:26 PM »
Plumb-

BREAK THINGS???  Goodness!!  That's awful!  I don't think she's pushing that hard....my knee just doesn't want to cooperate.  It hurts with the ice pack on the knee when the heel is propped up on a pillow.

I can't imagine my PT breaking something.  Makes me cringe!

Ya'll have a great day.  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08