Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: patella fracture rehab problems  (Read 681 times)

Offline inkneedofhelp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
patella fracture rehab problems
« on: September 03, 2008, 06:11:33 AM »
Hi everyone!  I joined this club just over a year ago and this forum just today.  I shattered my right patella by falling in August 2007.  It was put back together with wire and screws.  I do my physio  three times a week (straight leg raises, legextensions, single and double leg press, sideways leg extensions, biking, hamstring curls) pretty basic stuff. I can only put on a three pound ankle weight for the straight leg raise.  Extensions hurt a lot even without weight, but I can do three set of ten with five pounds without having swelling and pain issues the next day.  I am slowly working up with the leg press...and I can press about 55 lbs (4 sets of 15 reps).  The leg press doesn't hurt.  I can curl 25 lbs (3 sets of ten reps) no pain but very tiring.  Wall squats are really painful. I can HEAR crunching when I do extensions!..

I'm trying not to be discouraged by this slow progress because it's continuing upwards.  (when I try to increase too much at a time, I've set myself back with pain and inflammation).(I get that 'tight band above the knee' pain, as well as stiffness).

I've just seen my OS at the one year mark and I was surprised that he was pleased.  He was happy that the bone stayed together.  He didn't think I'd regain full range, which I did.  He's not surprised that I still can't do stairs...he said that it's all chewed up behind my knee cap.  He said to try to do leg extensions only through the range where I don't have pain (skip between 25 and 55).. He wants me to see him in 6 more months.  I am assuming that he wants to see how far I can get on my own and I am all for not having more surgery, unless absolutely necessary.

Last week I was chatting with my nephew who is foot surgeon and he seemed quite concerned that I haven't regained much strength in my quads despite how dedicated I am to therapy.  That my quad was in serious trouble.  Now I should mention that I had to keep my full leg cat on for 8 weeks and the hinged leg brace on for another 8 weeks).

The OS says that he can't promise that I will be able to do the stairs, but that he doesn't see anything specific that's stopping me.

Also, I'm having some significant trouble with proprioperception(sp?), especially outside on uneven ground.  I don't do too badly inside on even floors, but even walking slightly downhill is very difficult.  I don't dare walk quickly for fear of falling again.  I can't remember my speed on the treadmill right this minute, but I know that I  have significant difficulties getting out of the way quickly in  a parking lot.

I can't wear any type of heel yet because of the pressure it puts on my knee.  I have experienced my knee giving out a few times.  Once I went down on my bum when I was walking across a relatively flat yard...I'm scared to hold a baby in case I fall.

I'm going to see another physiotherapist in a week to see if I can get some more effective exercises  I've taken a liquid glucosamine/chondroitin + formula from about day 15.  I also take a bone basics mineral formula.

Any advice especially what I should be asking my doctor would be appreciated.

One thing I didn't mention is that I relied heavily on my right leg prior to my accident because I have spastic muscles in my left foot.  It used to be ultra strong

I'm worried that I didn't ask enough of the right questions and since I'm in Canada, I'm not sure if the surgeon will 'offer' anything since I am functioning.  I can sure be thankfull that my surgery, brace and 7 or 8 months of physio were paid for.  I really don't want to be this disabled though...I'm only 44.

support